JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Republicans finally got a law passed in the state of Indiana to allow deer to be hunted with rifles in the state. HOWEVER, THE LAW LIMITS HUNTERS TO ONLY USING RIFLES WITH TWO BORE SIZES: .243 AND .308

Using ANY ammunition with a different bore diameter is ILLEGAL!!!

Man, why would someone come up with a law like this????? What on earth would be the logic?

Just take a look at this list of rifle ammunition that the Indiana Department of Natural Resources has approved for this Fall's Deer Season:

DNR Gives Clarification On New Rifle Law For Deer Hunting

Most of those areas are short range weapon areas. Just about the whole east coast and to Nebraska west
I didn't read the article but there are some sabot for 308 s that are screamers and I suppose they don't want those used

Republicans finally got a law passed in the state of Indiana to allow deer to be hunted with rifles in the state. HOWEVER, THE LAW LIMITS HUNTERS TO ONLY USING RIFLES WITH TWO BORE SIZES: .243 AND .308

Using ANY ammunition with a different bore diameter is ILLEGAL!!!

Man, why would someone come up with a law like this????? What on earth would be the logic?

Just take a look at this list of rifle ammunition that the Indiana Department of Natural Resources has approved for this Fall's Deer Season:

DNR Gives Clarification On New Rifle Law For Deer Hunting

Additional cartridges that are legal:

• 6mm-06
  • 6mm BR Remington
  • 6mm PPC
  • 6mm Remington
  • .240 Weatherby
  • .243 Winchester
  • .243 Winchester Super Short Magnum
  • .30 Carbine
  • .30 Herrett
  • .30 Remington AR
  • .30-06 Springfield
  • .30-30 Winchester
  • .30-40 Krag
  • .300 AAC Blackout (.300 Whisper)
  • .300 H&H Magnum
  • .300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum
  • .300 Savage
  • .300 Weatherby Magnum
  • .300 Winchester Magnum
  • .300 Winchester Short Magnum
  • .300 Remington Ultra Magnum
  • .308 Marlin
  • .308 Winchester
  • 7.62x39mm
  • 7.62x54mmR

It's a good start. From not being able to use them To now getting their foot in the door. It's improvement.

Let us also remember whitetail are like rabbits and are everywhere over there. You don't need 300y shots to harvest the deer. 50y is a 'long shot' around those parts.

Well, it is an improvement for sure, since no calibers were legal in the past. But why only 6mm and .30 caliber? That makes no sense at all to me.

Sounds like some kind of bureaucratic red tape written by someone who knows nothing at all about rifles.

Shotgun , Archery , Muzzleloader.
As stated earlier Indiana is heavily populated and many states back east have firearm restrictions.
I am not saying however that each and every hunting reg. makes sense LOL.
Andy

Shotgun , Archery , Muzzleloader.
As stated earlier Indiana is heavily populated and many states back east have firearm restrictions.
I am not saying however that each and every hunting reg. makes sense LOL.
Andy

Any hunting reg that puts the .30 Carbine and the .300 Remington Ultra Magnum into the same classification surely does not make any sense to me.

I can understand a minimum caliber, but whats the point on restricting higher calibers when they list the 300 Win Mag....

Any hunting reg that puts the .30 Carbine and the .300 Remington Ultra Magnum into the same classification surely does not make any sense to me.

The "village idiots" are running the asylum. Restricting the bore size to .240" or larger is fine, but no larger than .308"? :rolleyes: o_O I beg your pardon?

Drop the pipe, and slowly back away from the marijuana buds! :confused: :oops:

The "village idiots" are running the asylum. Restricting the bore size to .240" or larger is fine, but no larger than .308"? :rolleyes: o_O I beg your pardon?

Drop the pipe, and slowly back away from the marijuana buds! :confused: :oops:

It is worse than that, though. It is only .243 and .308. Nothing smaller. Nothing larger. And nothing in between those two bore diameters either.

So while a .243 Win and .308 Win are legal, .260 Rem and 7mm-08 are not. .30-06 is legal, but 25-06 and 270 Win are not.

and to top it off, (if I understand this correctly...) the whole restriction thing is to mitigate bullet overtravel damage in an otherwise overpopulated state... so they allow 300 Win Mag. but not .260 Rem...
Brilliant.

A little disappointed with some of the comments here. Some legislators took action to help out gun owners and people here are calling them idiots. Maybe that's why the liberals are winning. They don't complain when progress is made. It may not be everything they want, but it's a move in the right direction.

For those doing the majority of the complaining, have you ever lived in the midwest? have you ever gone hunting out there?

It may not be everything they want, but it's a move in the right direction.
I don't think anyone here is denying that this is an improvement but point taken on the legislative process to get where they are, I don't think many here know those details but nor should anyone here really need to follow Indiana's hunting laws. Hopefully they can work out any of the kinks so un-eloquently pointed out here.

I can't imagine there are many hunting opportunities in Indiana. I suspect public land % is very low and access would be difficult for someone who is not close to what there is and is familiar with it. I talk to a lot of RV mfg personnel in Indiana on a daily basis and might have to start asking some questions of those I know a little better.

Half a loaf today... butter tomorrow....
Grew up in southern Michigan and hunted around my parents place and also Grandparent's farm. Used a .22 a lot and always had to bear in mind the direction of the bullet relative to someone's house. Deer hunting was done with "rifled slugs" at closer ranges.. but then closer range was about all the shots you got at deer. Buckshot was used by some guys but most considered it ineffective. This was before "deer barrels", sabot slugs, and scoping options were available, which revolutionised shotgun deer hunting. I got pretty good at sending a rifled slug down-range with a pump 12- so long as the "down range" wasnt too far.
I wish the hunters and game wardens in Indiana the best. If Indiana is anything like southern Michigan these days they may be having a major deer over-population problem. Were I making the law .30-30, 30-40, 35 Rem, .45-70 and such similar would be chosen over some of those screamer long-range magnum cartridges... Summa those rounds are used for elk hunting in Colorado ferpetessake. The laws are a bit confusing now- some of the caliber choices and restrictions- but time and field experience will hopefully sort things out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top