JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been reading post on this as well as other sites and have noticed that something is missing. There seems no long term plans are being made or talked about for a total melt down of local, state and federal government.
If you have stored 6 mons or more of supply's then you must believe that this is a very real possibility.

Most here fall into one of two camps. Stay put and ride it out or bug out to your safe "house".

I will offer up my thoughts and hope that you will do the same. After all the more ideals and plans the better.

For the ones that stay put I think will be in a better position than any one who leaves UNLESS you live in a large city ..Portland , Salem, Eugene....ect. These cites have in place street gangs that are well organized and will kill you for a pair of tennis shoes. Gang Bangers have a killers mind set that most of us do not. Anyone that think the gangs will be killed out in first weeks is making a big mistake.

If you live in a smaller city and are wiling to share your food after other food sources have dried up you will now be considered as one of the new leaders of you community. This move will be scoffed at by many but think of this. IF you are hoarding food while those's around you starve, you will be at the least an outcast and most likely a target that will be raided.

Most of you may not agree with this but stop and think about it. People will survive long after the die off that come within the first months. There will be new groups of hunters/ gathers/ raiders and these are the ones that will live long after the SHTF.

For those's that bug out to the "hills" I feel you are doomed. Sooner or later you will run out of food. When that happens you will need to come to a town where you may not be welcomed. You certainly have not been a part of this group and will not be trusted. You may be found by a hunting/ raiding party while at you camp.
The groups that are around 6 mons or a year after the SHTF have honed there skills while you have been hunkered down living off your supplies. Make no mistake if they want what you have you won't stand a chance.

Please reply as I'm look forward to what other members think.

The 'bug-out' mentality is flawed is some respects. I think if you're fleeing a plague, natural disaster, attack, etc, then bugging out is viable untill order is restored or you move to another location with community. Trying to hide in the woods is going to be an 80-90% failure rate I'd say. Too much ground to cover to find plant material to consume and animals to catch to keep your calories up and not starve out. So, as a temporary measure I'd say it's a good plan.

Well a 'bugout' location does not have to be in the middle of nowhere or hiding in the woods, ours is at a relatives house that lives much further away from towns/highways but still not miles away from the nearest neighbor. Our 1st plan is to stay put for as long as we can, but as we live in an apartment in Vancouver (granted not as big as Portland but still dangerously close) I feel like that we will only be safe for so long and that no amount of bartering or sharing will keep us safe for long.

You have to play the best game with the hand that you are dealt and if that means we have to pick up and leave when SHTF then so be it.

I'm currently reading a book called "lights out" that looks at a what-if situation if we were hit with an EMP strike across the country. Clusters of people forming up to deal with the long term like digging up the back yard to allow for gardens, investing in a few years worth of seeds etc. And those who are only looking at the short term. Even though it's more of a story then a guide, it does make you think a bit about how prepared one is for not just the short term but also for a longer haul.

Well a 'bugout' location does not have to be in the middle of nowhere or hiding in the woods, ours is at a relatives house that lives much further away from towns/highways but still not miles away from the nearest neighbor. Our 1st plan is to stay put for as long as we can, but as we live in an apartment in Vancouver (granted not as big as Portland but still dangerously close) I feel like that we will only be safe for so long and that no amount of bartering or sharing will keep us safe for long.

You have to play the best game with the hand that you are dealt and if that means we have to pick up and leave when SHTF then so be it.

I agree with your plan to get out of Vancouver.

I'd say a remote bugout location is only viable if you have a small group of people invested in the plan, such as extended family or close friends. A group of 10 or so would make homesteading easier and would allow your location to be more defendable. You would need enough land to grow a majority of your food, and would need farming, hunting, sewing, and carpentry skills at the least. One year of food stores for the entire group would allow for the establishment of a farming plot. The idea of the lone person hunkering down in a small cave out in the middle of nowhere may sound good, but is not very realistic from a long term survival standpoint.

This plan will of course be very costly and time consuming to establish, so I feel the best option for those not already owning a large plot of remote property is to get to know your neighbors, for they will be the ones you will have to form a community with if the SHTF. If you look recently at Egypt, the neighborhoods prevented looting of their homes by banding together and setting up roadblocks into their communites. They were organized, and relied on eachother to get through the rioting and looting.

P.S. If things are starting to turn sour, as it probably won't be an overnight collapse, plant some blackberries around the perimeter of your property...nature's barbed wire.

I just hope the banksters will prop up our fake economy as long as possible. I am sure they have already picked a date when they will pull the plug just like they did in '29. When they do it will be a quick decent into chaos and poverty. All orchestrated and planned. The transfer of all the USA middle class wealth to the banksters. In other words, the greatest robbery ever via hyperinflation and destruction of the fiat dollar.

The longer the collapse takes, the more brutal it will be. At this point it will probably last 15+ years. Fake debt, Oligarchs, and delusion are all OK by me if I can still have electricity and toys for as long as possible. Not kidding myself though. I know the timer is ticking on the collapse. Just cope/prepare the best you can. Not matter how prepared a person is, it is nothing to look forward to on any level.

Explaining this in detail to someone 5-6 years ago would get nothing but blank stares, but somehow people are actually finally waking up to the fact that the Ponzi cannot continue forever.

P.S. If things are starting to turn sour, as it probably won't be an overnight collapse, plant some blackberries around the perimeter of your property...nature's barbed wire.

We are looking at buying a house and I had thought about using plants for an extra layer of home defense that will "blend in" better than razor wire. There are several handy websites that come up when you google "Security Plants". There are even some options that are native to Oregon and Washington. There are more visually attractive than blackberry bushes, and just as effective, but unfortunetly non-edible. ;) Good options if you are in town or 'Out Of Dodge' I think.

There's a point where you'd want to trim down your security hedge...and not be blinded/scarred/blistered after the first cut. That stuff is just frightening.

You could cut it. Just make sure you don't have any exposed skin. That really doesn't appeal to me though. It's also worth noting the giant hogweed is categorized as a noxious weed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top