JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since we moved into Central Washington I havent had a chance to make it to the coast to pick up any crab. I am the crab whisperer. I don't bring pots or line or any of that nonsense . I walk through the surf and pick them up. Theyre all over the place and I can usually max my limit out in 15 minutes or so then max the kids limits out. Put a finnger on their back to force them down into the sand and then grab their back legs with the thumb and pinky. Paralyzes them and lift them right up. Makes a damn fine crab enchilada if I do say so.

So I have no easy source of crab around so I went to the store. Picked up a few pounds of imitation crab meat to make some enchiladas. Never had the stuff before. How bad could it be? Its bad. Tastes like a fishy hot dog. My dog sure is happy now that he's eaten a pound of it. I just got back from Coscto buying a few lbs of crab meat. Note to self... Max out everyones limit next time and freeze the little buggers.

View attachment 332348

I love dungenous crab. And I've learned to like Opi's and Bairdi's, as they're so much easier to eat in bulk quantities.

So, is imitation crab a remote replacement for real crab? Nope. But I still like the imitation crab for what it is. A bag of imitation crab legs, and a little bowl of cocktail sauce, and I'm happy.

As much as I'd like, I can't always get real crab.

I've fished the bays and the ocean my whole life. And every time, we throw a lot of traps, and pull them when we're done fishing. There's few things better than eating myself into oblivion with enough crabs that we can truly say, "we've had enough".

WAYNO.

I didn't know you could catch crabs by hand,, I'll have to look into that.
I heard that the commercial crabbers are on strike in Oregon right now. anyway
saw this youtube of these kids.. watch yer toes!

The crabbers all up and down the coast have stopped fishing for some reason I think it has to do with them trying to close some of the crab grounds I certain area 's because of demonic acid my brother inlaw was saying something bout it he crabbing out of the Bay Area half moon bay CA

I had a childhood of camping at Ocean Shores and eating a lot of crab, we now make a trip twice a year for it. Get it fresh, so worth it.

Crab does not freeze well because the ice crystals cut into the delicate cell walls of the delicate meat. When it thaws all you have is wet, smelly, mush!
My spousal unit also likes K-Krab, just breaks off a chunk munches it! Yuck!!!

Artificial Crab = Reconstituted Trash fish paste and red die #4. :eek:
But my wife loves it. :p

We catch Dungeness Crab and After we cook and pick it, we put it into Zip-Loc bags and suck the air out. It stays good for several months. We head our raw prawns and freeze the tails in Zip-Loc bags full of fresh water with the air sucked out. The freezer on my boat goes to -20°F and we're still eating crab cakes and prawns from last summer.:)

Last Edited:
Artificial Crab = Reconstituted Trash fish paste and red die #4. :eek:
But my wife loves it. :p

We catch Dungeness Crab and After we cook and pick it, we put it into Zip-Loc bags and suck the air out. It stays good for several months. We head our raw prawns and freeze the tails in Zip-Loc bags full of fresh water with the air sucked out. The freezer on my boat goes to -20°F and we're still eating crab cakes and prawns from last summer.:)
It's not really trash fish there are 4 different grades of surimi that it is made from and they watch it pretty close when they are making surimi they don't want any thing in it like bone scales skin stuff like that the better the grade the more money we had guy's on the boat that came from Japan and Korea that ran that part of the factory that 's all they did is make surimi

If you want trash go buy fish sticks look on the box if it says made from minced fish that's all the stuff that didn't pass the Q.C.TO go into surimi or to the regular fillet block I'll tell you something else the McDonald's fillet fish sandwich is better quality fish than anything you find in the freezer section at a super market unless it says made from fillet fish then it's the same stuff your fish sticks say made from minced fish your eat garbage lol

Last Edited:
The crabbers all up and down the coast have stopped fishing for some reason I think it has to do with them trying to close some of the crab grounds I certain area 's because of demonic acid my brother inlaw was saying something bout it he crabbing out of the Bay Area half moon bay CA

Just read crabbers quite, or threatened? to quit, if they didn't get more money. They started out with $3.00 and lb and processors went down to $275.

We used to do crab/oyster runs to Garibaldi. Call friends/neighbors and say "How many?" of each! We'd buy up to 30 crab/10-12 doz oysters. I'd watch the guys in Garibaldi pull live crab from their tanks and cook them for us, then I'd help them back the crab while looking out over the marina. We'd figure the price per crab and people would come over and get crab that was cooked that day, and oysters that were possible in their beds 24 hours earlier!

That place sold, and like the other places in Garibaldi they wanted more money than you'd pay in PDX for crab. The crabbers blamed high diesel for the higher crab price, but when diesel went down crab went up again. I was paying the going rate in PDX in CASH to the boat owners and that wasn't enough for them. I won't buy their damned crab anymore! I'm tired of being treated like a "TOURIST" to be fleeced by local Oregonians!

Last Edited:
Imitation crab:

T1ZDz7FO0aXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg

The real thing:

grumpy+older+man.jpg

Just read crabbers quite, or threatened? to quit, if they didn't get more money. They started out with $3.00 and lb and processors went down to $275.

We used to do crab/oyster runs to Garibaldi. Call friends/neighbors and say "How many?" of each! We'd buy up to 30 crab/10-12 doz oysters. I'd watch the guys in Garibaldi pull live crab from their tanks and cook them for us, then I'd help them back the crab while looking out over the marina. We'd figure the price per crab and people would come over and get crab that was cooked that day, and oysters that were possible in their beds 24 hours earlier!

That place sold, and like the other places in Garibaldi they wanted more money than you'd pay in PDX for crab. The crabbers blamed high diesel for the higher crab price, but when diesel went down crab went up again. I was paying the going rate in PDX in CASH to the boat owners and that wasn't enough for them. I won't buy their damned crab anymore! I'm tired of being treated like a "TOURIST" to be fleeced by local Oregonians!
It's not the crabbers it's the buyers my brother inlaw told me about the Oregon buyers before it pretty much run by one guy and he's a D@#$ from what he told me was that guy would set the price low and everyone would say they weren't going out but he also owner of like 4 boats so when all others staying at the dock his boats would go out and fish kinda a mafia type deal lol my brother inlaw told me he wouldn't be surprised if they found this guy floating face down one day

But they also have something going on down in California because my brother inlaw came home for Xmas and stayed a extra couple of days he fishing for crab out of CA because that's where he has a crab license he doesn't have one for Oregon or WA

My wife's family loves me because I can eat anything and love everything they cook. With that said, imitation crab meat is not my thing.
It's not my thing either I was just saying last night that I worked on some of the boat's that caught the fish and made surimi witch is what fake crab is made from

It's not the crabbers it's the buyers my brother inlaw told me about the Oregon buyers before it pretty much run by one guy and he's a D@#$ from what he told me was that guy would set the price low and everyone would say they weren't going out but he also owner of like 4 boats so when all others staying at the dock his boats would go out and fish kinda a mafia type deal lol my brother inlaw told me he wouldn't be surprised if they found this guy floating face down one day

The boat owners get the $2.75-$3.00 for the crab they catch. Some "Store Fronts" run their own boats. Other wise the store in Garibaldi pays that boat owner the going rate. My biotch is that I can get crab in PDX, after going through three different hands? for $5.99, and the people in Garibaldi only sell for $7.99. Like I said, tourist trap rip-off. To ell with them! They've done the same thing with oysters too. Most oysters you find in PDX have been in live tanks, and quite often you can get them cheaper than at the coast.

..We head our raw prawns and freeze the tails in Zip-Loc bags full of fresh water with the air sucked out. The freezer on my boat goes to -20°F and we're still eating crab cakes and prawns from last summer.:)
I hope you're no throwing the heads away.. they make for great soup stock.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top