JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ha, my wife actually likes imitation crab. She buys it from time to time to just...eat. Makes my skin crawl. The only crab I eat are ones I bagged in the pots.

Yes I know but it's a little cold to go walking around in the water right now where was that picture from looks like Lincoln city

Done it many times. Water temps about the same +/- 10 degrees all year. That pic was in seaside. Great crab fishery with no one grabbing them. You can limit in 15 minutes.

Done it many times. Water temps about the same +/- 10 degrees all year. That pic was in seaside. Great crab fishery with no one grabbing them. You can limit in 15 minutes.
OK I have drove through sea side never stopped I used to spend lots of time in new port but now only once a year go to fish the sletz river just south of Lincoln city

Try working on a fishing trawler for 3 or 4 months at a time the clothes you take with you a ruin for anything but working on the boat we would bring them home wash them with pine sol and store them in the garage till next trip to Alaska
When I would go tuna fishn I'd get a pair of those $9 Rustler jeans from Bi Mart and throw em away when I was done. Tuna smell doesn't wash out.

When I would go tuna fishn I'd get a pair of those $9 Rustler jeans from Bi Mart and throw em away when I was done. Tuna smell doesn't wash out.
Well we mostly wore sweat pants and sweat shirts under are rain gear so just wash them for next time we had washer and dryer on the boat like I said be up there for months so to buy 20 or 30 new sets of clothing every time was a lot of money to be thrown away

Well we mostly wore sweat pants and sweat shirts under are rain gear so just wash them for next time we had washer and dryer on the boat like I said be up there for months so to buy 20 or 30 new sets of clothing every time was a lot of money to be thrown away
and once you got back on the boat everyone smells the same after a hour back onboard you don't even smell fish anymore

Over on the Eastern seaboard, there was such an abundance of lobster in the 1800's
that it was not a valued commodity and was considered a poor man's food.
Here's an excerpt from Gulf of Maine Research Institute.

"Long ago, lobsters were so plentiful that Native Americans used them to fertilize their fields and to bait their hooks for fishing.
In colonial times, lobsters were considered "poverty food."
They were harvested from tidal pools and served to children, to prisoners, and to indentured servants, who exchanged their passage to America for seven years of service to their sponsors.
In Massachusetts, some of the servants finally rebelled.
They had it put into their contracts that they would not be forced to eat lobster more than three times a week."

Over on the Eastern seaboard, there was such an abundance of lobster in the 1800's
that it was not a valued commodity and was considered a poor man's food.
Here's an excerpt from Gulf of Maine Research Institute.

"Long ago, lobsters were so plentiful that Native Americans used them to fertilize their fields and to bait their hooks for fishing.
In colonial times, lobsters were considered "poverty food."
They were harvested from tidal pools and served to children, to prisoners, and to indentured servants, who exchanged their passage to America for seven years of service to their sponsors.
In Massachusetts, some of the servants finally rebelled.
They had it put into their contracts that they would not be forced to eat lobster more than three times a week."
Yep and the horse shoe crab also was used to make fertilizer

IMAG0639.jpg the picture is not very good because I took a picture of a picture hanging on my wall but that 's me in like 95 way north in the Bering sea that's another factory trawler in the back ground the boat I'm on was a little bit smaller but not by much that boat is the Northern Hawk it still fishing today owned by American seafoods out of Seattle

Last Edited:
The first attempts at commercial canning of lobster was so bad that folks had a saying about it.
"Green in the sea, red in the pot and black in the can"

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR