JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
kind of a different thread,eh? imho,ymmv,etc.

dillon roller handle.the ball handle works fine,spend the dough on bullets. ! bought one,would neve buy another one.

dillon Strong Mounts.If ur bench is the right height and sturdy,you can easily get along with out this,I have for nearly 20 years !

quick change die 'stuff'.You change dies so seldom and it's only a minute to swap them out,so quick change is is just a gimmick,nothing else.
>to clarify, by 'quck change I meant the bushing setups on some single stage loaders.just don't take that long to swap 1 die.sorrry for the murkiness of that idea.<<

digital scales and digital calipers. manual is just fine and never need batteries !! oh,and buy a good scale,meaning spend at least 50 bucks on one.

any book other than Lyman's,(tongue in cheek here) it's my best friend. !
..but do have others for cross checking.

brand new dies and press.Save bucks by shopping for used,spend the money on powder,etc

as I say,IMHO,YMMV,. feel free to add to the list

Last Edited:
I have not used Dillon so I dont know if theirs are different but I love my quick change die plates for my RCBS. I have a dozen or so main calibers I load for. I keep the dies all set in the plate so I dont have to reset them each time. Say I go from .9mm to .223 I have the same settings I used on the last batch and the batch before that, ect.

I been reloading for 43 years and have never needed anything but a single stage press. I work in batches. I might do 500 cases one step at a time. And I weigh every powder charge and seat the bullet right away. Almost impossible to double charge or miss a charge.

Currently doing 1300-1400 30M1 takes a while but the results are excellent.

For the most part I agree, but the quick-change stuff makes it nice for those who have just one load they use for different calibers.

I have one load I use for 45, the same for 38 Super etc., with everything set up for those loads it makes sense to have the quick change set up.

Isn't this a great Country?

We're all free to do things pretty much the way we like to.

I agree that the things you listed are not NEEDED. But then again, one doesn't even need a press

p-657.jpg

For just under $40 and a cheap rubber mallet from Harbor Freight and you're loading. Go even cheaper and just buy one at a Swap Meet/Garage sale.

For those that want to laugh, there are a lot of competitors that use one of these for load development at the range.

p-657.jpg

I have used Lee Loader in several calibers and shotgun. Slower, noisy, no full length resizing, but add a case trimmer & powder scale, and if loading for a bolt action, you can make better than most factory ammo. Shotgun use didn't impress me!

Oh!.......and some parts will wear out after about 2000 rounds

Last Edited:
Throck...What are you up to now...

I have gotten use to the ball. But after seeing Poke's 650 setup, I'm thinking it's time to 650.

Going back and forth from 45 to 38 would be a pain without the quick change doohickies. I like my strong mount cause my loading bench top is 3/4" Melamine (Not dog food).

I gave up on the abacus for weighing my powders. Digital is the way to go especially since decent units are available cheap.

I been reloading for 43 years and have never needed anything but a single stage press. I work in batches. I might do 500 cases one step at a time. And I weigh every powder charge and seat the bullet right away. Almost impossible to double charge or miss a charge.

Batching the cases also works for me. Usually a hundred or two at a time, though I will clean and decap in larger numbers.

Describes my experience almost to a "T".

Quick-change stuff only makes sense if you have saddled yourself to one load for one gun (for life??). The moment you change a bullet, or change a gun, you need to reset everything anyway. Heck: even if I did relegate myself to one load for one gun, I still could not resist my habit of double checking all my settings anyway to make sure everything is correct: takes just as much time as starting from scratch.

One thing I don't use anymore: Primer arm on my RCBS A2: Hand prime everything now.

One thing I thought I'd never use again, but resurrected it: Plain old-fashioned RCBS Case Lube and Case Lube Pad. Recent forming chores find this old standby goo the best for this hard work on brass.

Sorry, Throck: I dearly love my digital scale partnered with the powder dispenser for automatic charge weighing: But I DID NOT get rid of my fine Ohaus 304 Dial scale, and still use it when I want to feel "really scientific" about everything (and have plenty of time to kill waiting for the needle to settle down some).

Hey move over - I think we are stuck under the same rock.
I think single stage has it's advantages, especially when accuracy is involved. As with many things, I probably trim by brass more often than most, that should be enough said but I wont shoot a dirty primer pocket either. Batching takes a bit more time, But old habits are hard to brake. Especially good old habits.
I did finally did Quit weighing my jacked bullets, except the ones I need for accuracy ;);

Hey move over - I think we are stuck under the same rock.
I think single stage has it's advantages, especially when accuracy is involved. As with many things, I probably trim by brass more often than most, that should be enough said but I wont shoot a dirty primer pocket either. Batching takes a bit more time, But old habits are hard to brake. Especially good old habits.
I did finally did Quit weighing my jacked bullets, except the ones I need for accuracy ;);

I wonder if other "Handloading Luddites" are as amused as myself when very basic problems are described by those who learned on (and never explored away from) progressive machines: Problems that single-stage pupils found solutions for very early on.

This is not to say one approach is better than the other. I believe each approach has proper application to desired results. Rather, it is a statement toward hard evidence that a Handloader that begins and learns on single-stage equipment can insulate and educate himself toward many pitfalls that may erupt should he later choose to become a Reloader with progressive equipment.

I once answered a friends questions, "What kind of press do you use? How much do you reload?" with the answers "A Lee. and A lot." He literally winced and said "Ewwww."
I asked the same question of him and he proudly replied "A Dillon such-and such XYZ5000, and not hardly much at all."

The truth is that I bought what I could afford until I know for sure that reloading was something I was truly passionate about. I should offer him $100 for the Dillon just to get it out of his attic!

I think that the only things you really NEED to reload are items that you are actually going to use!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews