JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
my biggest fear is that I will not be where my supplies are (home) when it happens and the roads will not be passible. You know Murphy's Law. If it can go wrong, it will. I live in the country so must drive into town to buy supplies, see doctor, visit friends, etc. Murphy says that is when it will happen, when I'm somewhere else, so all of my preparations will be for naught. The problem will then be how to get home where my supplies are.

A get me home bag along with a bicycle should do the trick. If you can't peddle then get a bicycle motor. They do 35mph yet on idle (5mph) will get up to 200 mpg.

A get me home bag along with a bicycle should do the trick. If you can't peddle then get a bicycle motor. They do 35mph yet on idle (5mph) will get up to 200 mpg.

Maybe.....but I don't carry a bike on my car so would have to steal one. If I'm on the other side of the river and the bridge is out.....bikes don't float very well. If the big Quake hits as expected, the roads and bridges will all likely be impassible...even with a bike. Roads will be buckled and cracked or littered with fallen trees and debris.

Get me home bag should cover most everything including bicycle inner tube and pump for crossing rivers. I really don't think you should start out stealing property, getting killed over a bicycle is stupid when you can buy a folding bike to fit the trunk. However it will be a man's morality that will let him live or die.

In all serousness though I have often thought about this same issue. I work across the river from where I live and have often thought about different travel options for getting home to the family. As a family we have also worked out different routes to our meet up and stay location based on the event that happens.

As a rule of thumb I keep a pretty decently supplied bag in the back of the vehicles. not a bike or anything like that but enought to be at least armed and protected as well as a few days (if i really stretch it) supplies. it would absolutly be enought to get me home and to the family rally point.

They used to put out water rescue public service stuff on TV and when a person is drowning
what do you throw in to keep them afloat? Lots of things you carry can keep you afloat long enough to cross a river. Your spare tire floats, para cord and several spares will float real good.:D
Water is not to be feared as long as there is no soap in it lol

when I was in the Navy they taught us about using your jeans as a floatation device. if you tie the lets together you can get them wet and then use them like you would a net and trap air inside. as long as you keep the open end under water it will hold air and keep you afloat like a life jacket. there are plenty of places in portland where crossing the river isnt too far of a swim and worste case remember that there will probably always be some type of debris somwhere that you can use. people are messy.

when I was in the Navy they taught us about using your jeans as a floatation device. if you tie the lets together you can get them wet and then use them like you would a net and trap air inside. as long as you keep the open end under water it will hold air and keep you afloat like a life jacket. there are plenty of places in portland where crossing the river isnt too far of a swim and worste case remember that there will probably always be some type of debris somwhere that you can use. people are messy.
I'm an old Navy guy myself, and yes, you can make your pants into a floating device. That works best in oceans or lakes. Not sure how well in faster moving water like rivers. Worth a try if in need, however.

I'd hunker down and find some nice folks to shelter you.

Your not going to get home unless your in shape and have a well stocked survival pack that includes food, by the sounds of where you live.

I'd hunker down and find some nice folks to shelter you.

Your not going to get home unless your in shape and have a well stocked survival pack that includes food, by the sounds of where you live.

Unfortunately, you are probably right. I'm almost 75 and have a few health problems. I'm in good shape for the shape I'm in, thus the reason this is my biggest fear.

I dont have the luxury of hunkering down myself. with 3 young kids getting home is a high priority. but i am also 29 and it pretty ok shape. easily able to make it from across town home and then rally from there. Somthing to consider if you are planning on hunkering down is some type of alternative comunications. I would bet that there will be people who will wonder and worry about you after even a short time and might try and find you. worste case they might get hurt out searching when you are perfectly safe. I was reading on another thread that most of the posters here have commented on about what you keep in your vehicle for emergencies. if you are worried about making it home having the items on that list could make all the difference in the world for you.

Us old guys have a lot to, deal with:D

Seems we are at a real disadvantage. Most of us are dependent on prescription meds and most pharmacies will only give a month's supply at a time and only refill when you're down to ~ a weeks supply. So you're down to ~ 1 weeks supply and just about to get a refill and a 9.0 hits us. Bend over and kiss you a$$ goodbye. :D

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews