JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Seems we are at a real disadvantage. Most of us are dependent on prescription meds and most pharmacies will only give a month's supply at a time and only refill when you're down to ~ a weeks supply. So you're down to ~ 1 weeks supply and just about to get a refill and a 9.0 hits us. Bend over and kiss you a$$ goodbye. :D

Well I guess it's that one last preparation that us old guys should be ready for:D
I have a will made out anyway lol

I had this same conversation with a contractor that was working near DC, he lived south of the Potomac R. and was sure he'd be trapped. I suggested that he buy a inflatable boat like a Sevalor (not the kayak, too unstable) and plan a crossing point. With a foot pump and a frame pack he could carry his boat on his back and use it several times if needs be. In the pack he also had rain gear and food/comfort items in water proof bags that would keep his pack buoyant if it fell in the river.
My friend developed a route that took into account bus routes (in case they were running), Pay phone locations, rendezvous points with family. Friend's homes near his route of egress. He felt much relieved having made that plan.

Us old guys have a lot to, deal with:D

Ain't for sissy's is it?
Back in the day when I backpacked a lot I had an American Safety brand Pack Raft. A two man or one man with gear inflatable life raft. It inflated by use of its sack, and quite rapidly too! Caught a lot of mountain lakes trout with it! Raft, repair kit, bag/inflator, and two collapsable paddles weighed five pounds!

Ain't for sissy's is it?
Back in the day when I backpacked a lot I had an American Safety brand Pack Raft. A two man or one man with gear inflatable life raft. It inflated by use of its sack, and quite rapidly too! Caught a lot of mountain lakes trout with it! Raft, repair kit, bag/inflator, and two collapsable paddles weighed five pounds!

I have never seen these before but now I have yet another thing to part me from my money. those packrafts are sweet!

All these great ideas about using your pants to cross the water, and swim the river and all. Great idea in the heat of summer, but say it is January and you need to transit a waterway. you better be able to do it with out getting wet or your dead from exposure anyway. Transiting water ways will be one of the most problematic things in SHTF.

In our local area, we have steep sided creeks and rivers that have to be crossed. Not much use for a boat or raft . In our group we have a zip line set up. It is centrally located and would be taken to wherever the crossing would need to be after contact by ham radio. Our group is fortunate to have some pretty high skill levels in low and high angle work, and the ability to move where we would need to fairly well armed.

Most every trip I make, I consider what if the 9.0 hits. At some point in time I may be forced to abandon a well outfitted vehicle and have to go to ground. My GHB has extra batteries for my ham unit, I would be able to seek and render assistance that way. At 57 years old, I make no illusion as to how far I could travel, but I try to be as outfitted as possible.

Maybe.....but I don't carry a bike on my car so would have to steal one. If I'm on the other side of the river and the bridge is out.....bikes don't float very well. If the big Quake hits as expected, the roads and bridges will all likely be impassible...even with a bike. Roads will be buckled and cracked or littered with fallen trees and debris.

Blah blah blah!!!!!
Then change all the negatives you have stated.Or don't complain.
Being totally prepared ,or genuinely trying to,means you overcome the problems that stand in your way.
Don't carry a bike? Start carrying a bike on top of the car.
Next problem is the river.
Is there another place to work or another pace to live where this isn't a problem?
Make the move
There was a kid on here a couple years ago getting frantic about this subject. The wife was one place the daughter was another and he was out some place else on another side of the river.
So get the daughter closer to either the mom's work or dad's work.
Problem solved
There is always a solution.You just have to be willing to make some changes to overcome them.
Oh you can move or you can find another job where this isn't a problem.
Are you willing to make the changes necessary?

Well look at the bright side.. it'll only take twenty years to rebuild the bridges.. they've been building the Sellwood for years and it'll be years more.. and it's not even SHTF days.

it'll only take twenty years to rebuild the bridges..

Which will put our country back where it was 200 years ago. The rivers were the super highways of the country. The ability to move heavy weights and volumes of people and freight long distances with no fossil fuel will make control of these water ways critical. Much like late stages of the Revolutionary War.

So I understand the paranoia about the bridge being out... details on why it would go out seemed a little sketchy. There are dozens of SHTF situations that can happen that won't affect roads except maybe for jamming them. Which may or may not be a temporary situation.

To borrow something from military parlance... any unobserved obstacle does not remain an obstacle. How you overcome an obstacle is entirely a matter of time and effort. It seems planning secondary routes might be a high priority for you. Back when i was working for the man in hollywood, I had probably 20 different ways I could take to and from work. If for some reason I couldn't get home, I had a cache of stuff located at a friend's house that was the opposite direction.

There are 24 letters of the alphabet left after you've exhausted plan A and plan B.

and plan b-q was shuckin and jivin'? lol

You havn't lived until you've worked graveyard shift in hollywood... This is where certain vehicle innovations like the holster that holds a 12ga is mounted to the back of the passenger seat. Push bumpers, rock rails and other protective equipment to fight off the drunks... really I think a commute through mogadishu would have been safer than your average weekend evening.

You havn't lived until you've worked graveyard shift in hollywood... This is where certain vehicle innovations like the holster that holds a 12ga is mounted to the back of the passenger seat. Push bumpers, rock rails and other protective equipment to fight off the drunks... really I think a commute through mogadishu would have been safer than your average weekend evening.
Snake Plissken woulda just lit a cigarette.

Where do you find those pack rafts? I didn't see much online when I googled the brand name...I live on the west side of the Willamette and work on the east, and I'm certain that if the Big Quake hits, it will be while I'm at at work.

I'd love something like this to throw in my trunk (along with my car BOB, bivy tent, and rain gear). It could very well potentially be a 3-4 day trek back home for me, depending on the level of chaos and how much that restricts my ability to move.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews