JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As a fellow Southeastern New Englander, if I remember my history correctly, Roxbury was one of the first communities settled in Massachusetts. As I recall, it abuts Jamaica Plain and Dorchester sections of Boston.

Agreed, if your not from Roxbury, you ain't got no business being there.
Yah, one of the first incorporated towns / cities, then "taken over" by Boston as it grew.

Middle of Mission Hill/JP/Rosi/Mattapan/Dot/S End.

Thought it abutted Southie & Hyde Park. Had to check a map. Doesn't.

Worked in Longwood Medical area over a decade. Technically Roxbury, however seems like Brookline. Reasonably safe, but you didn't venture beyond Harvard Med Library. We'd run between campus hospitals at night, depending on the case.

Lost a fantastic charge nurse doing such alone, she got dragged into bushes & assaulted. Bad.

BU Med (formerly Boston City Hospital) on the other side of Roxbury/Split by the S End? Forget that schnitzel!

Roxbury appears in the song MTA "All night long Charlie rides through the tunnels cryin' 'What will become of me. How can I afford to see my sister in Chelsea or my cousin in Roxbury?'" That was because the MTA fares were increased back before the Boston mayoral election of 1949. But it was done via requiring passengers to pay additional amounts as they exited, depending on the stop. George O'brien, who was running an underfunded campaign for Boston mayor, used songwriters and singers to campaign on issues of the day, including the MTA fare increase. He lost the election but the song became immortal. So, according to the song, "Charlie handed in his dime at the Kendall Square Station and he changed for Jamaica Plain. When he got there the conductor said 'One more nickel.' Charlie couldn't get offa that train." As sung by the Kingston trio:

Last Edited:
I once went to look at an apartment in Roxbury. I was a first year grad student in bio/genetics at Harvard, living in a Harvard dorm for grad student women. The dorm was more expensive than I would like , but was the only arrangement I could make for my first year. I had been a poor kid working my way through undergrad school at U of Florida, with no money to travel to Boston/Cambridge and make cheaper arrangements. So toward the end of my first year I started looking for new quarters. I still didn't know much about metropolitan Boston, including Cambridge, beyond the few miles immediately around Harvard Square. So when I saw this whole apartment in Roxbury listed for about as much as a tiny room in Cambridge I set up an appointment to look. It involved taking the subway, but the subways were clean and safe. On nights when the Boston Philharmonic played they were full of rich people in full furs and jewels along with scruffy Harvard and MIT students in jeans and everyone else. Even rich people took the sub because parking in Boston wasn't workable. So I set out for Roxbury full of confidence.

Every trace of confidence vanished totally on the short walk from the subway station to the apartment. Streets were mostly empty except for groups of black men staring at me in utter silence. Martin Luther King had been assassinated just that spring. Burned out houses and other signs of the riots were everywhere. My reading was I had invaded territory where the penalty for trespassing while white was death. Not necessarily that day, but certainly if I presumed to try to live there. I met the landlord and looked at the apartment. Piles of human feces in the corners. "Of course, you'll need to clean it up," the landlord said. I got outta there.

Boston vs Gainesville Florida: Better music, better food, better people watching. Meagre wild life. Boring weather. No hurricanes. No alligators.

Last Edited:
RE6Lpy4.jpg

I'll save all y'all the fuss and trouble and provide, without strife or rancor, The Formula...

The angle of the dangle is directly proportional to the throb of the knob when the urge is constant...

Q.E.D

:p:D
Look man, throb is a French metric measurement, while knob is clearly imperial. You are mixing metaphores here
Fookin' knob turners, always messin' sheite up when it was workin' just right.

Fookin' knob turners, always messin' sheite up when it was workin' just right.
Just like when I tried to fine tune my Dads brand new color RCA television set back in the 60's.
I remove the back panel and messed with all the adjustment screws I found hiding back there.
The repairman couldn't figure out how they got so out of position.

My Roxbury was Roxbury ave sw.
It was the dividing line between West Seattle and White Center.
White Center, not to be confused with Burien proper.

This was difficult for me because one of my first jobs was four blocks south of Roxbury at Foster Machine.
Getting caught after dark on the wrong side could result in a beating and the loss of a bicycle or worse.
I took a few beatings before I HTFU.

Watching Federal Old Line semi-pro fast pitch softball games with dad after dark at the old White Center field house always had me on edge.
Anyone remember "Astroland" just over the left field fence?
Us kids had to be well clear of it as the sun went down and the locals began to take over.
It didn't seem to affect adults in the area much , just the kids.
Kids hell, it was old school gang mentality. A turf war in effect.

If you didn't live it it's difficult to explain.

My Roxbury was Roxbury ave sw.
It was the dividing line between West Seattle and White Center.
White Center, not to be confused with Burien proper.

This was difficult for me because one of my first jobs was four blocks south of Roxbury at Foster Machine.
Getting caught after dark on the wrong side could result in a beating and the loss of a bicycle or worse.
I took a few beatings before I HTFU.

Watching Federal Old Line semi-pro fast pitch softball games with dad after dark at the old White Center field house always had me on edge.
Anyone remember "Astroland" just over the left field fence?
Us kids had to be well clear of it as the sun went down and the locals began to take over.
It didn't seem to affect adults in the area much , just the kids.
Kids hell, it was old school gang mentality. A turf war in effect.

If you didn't live it it's difficult to explain.
Rat city

Just like when I tried to fine tune my Dads brand new color RCA television set back in the 60's.
I remove the back panel and messed with all the adjustment screws I found hiding back there.
The repairman couldn't figure out how they got so out of position.
Two way communication and user induced state of no worky.

Proper tuning of a communications receiver, transmitter, transceiver requires at least a frequency counter, a signal generator, and an oscilloscope.

I would regularly have to start from scratch, replacing all the broken tuning slugs then one by one make everything right.

"I had a friend tune it up for me..."
"My kid..."
"Locusts..."

Yeah right. It didn't matter to me I got paid by the hour.

They are not going to level the playing field simply by arming up.
It takes years of dedication and practice.
It takes a love for & understand of firearms. It requires a lot of trigger time. (The more I practice, the luckier I get!).
It takes the proper mindset to have a cool head and constant situational awareness.
It requires the ability to get your mind rite under many different stressful & fast changing situations.
It takes a profound understanding of the law with regard to packing heat!
It's easy to shoot a target but when a target shoots back, things are very different!
I can continue for a long time, but I hope you are starting to get my point.

o_O :) :(:rolleyes::eek:
👍
It's all fun and games until someone gets two in the chest...
;)

Well, there's not much more to tell than that. Water's wet, the sky's blue. And old Satan Claus, Jimmy, he's out there. And he's just getting stronger.
~Joe Hallenbeck

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top