Ignore Feature - Might Use It

Discussion in 'Questions, Problems, & Feedback' started by teflon97239, Sep 13, 2018.

1. teflon97239

teflon97239
    Portland, OR area

Okay, I have a few legit tech questions, buried under a bit of a rant.

Throughout all the varied discussions and passionate opinions expressed here on NWFA (some that can get pretty heated - even uncivil), no one has managed to make me start an Ignore List - YET.

On the contrary, it's all fascinating to me, even the disputes, baiting, etc. And, actually, I sort of prefer to see what any member might have to say, even the trolls, and do my ignoring on-the-fly after a sentence or two ("know thy enemy"). Or just avoid reading their stuff altogether. But now I'm considering using Ignore, but for sort of a different reason.

A member recently started bombarding a number of threads with generic internet gibberish, memes, jokes, reposts, etc., etc. Dozens and dozens daily. I know he means no harm, but damn! To me, if feels like the NWFA site, which I've enjoyed for years is suddenly full of "junk mail," and I must now sort through a LOT of generic pandering in certain threads to search for the interesting stuff.

I know... (poking fun at myself here...) Waaaaaaaa!!!

Opinions vary.

Anyhow, here are my questions:

- When I put this player on ignore, will it only filter out his new stuff from this point going forward? Or will it hide all his older things from view too?

- Can I decide at some point to un-ignore him if I want to?

- And in that case, would all of his existing stuff re-appear as if he had never been on ignore?

I ask because Ignore is a new thing to me and I want to understand it before I pull the trigger, so to speak.

Thanks in advance.

bbbass, Lilhigbee, Heyjoe and 2 others like this.
  2. jbett98

jbett98
    NW Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2018 Volunteer

You're not the Lone Ranger on this one. I've felt the same way since he started his posting marathon.
    I figured he would cross the line and tick off one of the moderators, but so far he's passed the sobriety test.
    He's probably posted a dozen times since you started this thread.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    bbbass, Lilhigbee, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  3. MilitantBEEMER

MilitantBEEMER
    Eugene
    Refugee from the People's Republic of Illinois Gold Supporter

^ I agree. This site is changing ever so slightly as a more and more diverse group of people discover it. Some “trolls” use it to pick fights so I simply ignore them once they reveal themselves. Joe and the crew work hard to keep the site great and I really appreciate that. I will continue to support financially and by word of mouth. I refuse to let a “few” trouble makers ruin it for me.

3MTA3, bbbass, SKrueger and 6 others like this.
  4. CountryGent

CountryGent
    Southern Oregon
    Moderator Staff Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter

Answers below:

It will hide all of his content, past and present.

Yes, you can remove anyone from ignore at any time.

Yes.

Hope that helps. Cheers.

Howard1955, bbbass, Tarawa86 and 7 others like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki
    Doin Patriot Stuff
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'm kind of outta the loop here, and kind of loopy still, but I havnt run into the issue you guys are having, so my view of it might be a bit narrow! Having said that, I only have 1 dude on ignore, and that's just to let things cool for a while. Once you ignore, it only hides that person's posts, no one else's, which can make things disjointed when other members respond to that person, so you need to be aware of that! Once you decide to un-ignore, all the person's posts come back for you to see if you want!
    Now, if that particular member really crosses he line and the Moderatin Moderators don't moderate for what ever reason ( they may not have run across them yet or the numbers of offending posts) so you can/should report them so the Mods and Joe see them and can better respond if needed!

Howard1955, bbbass, Flymph and 5 others like this.
  6. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.
    Moderator with a Black powder affinity... Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Not trying to sound like a smart azz here...and I do understand about the "junk mail"...
    But...
    Have you asked the member in question to cut back on the amount of messages sent to you...?
    Some folks may just try too hard to be "friends" or he may not be aware of the effect of what he is doing...
    Andy

Howard1955, 3MTA3, Medic! and 5 others like this.
  7. Kruel J

Kruel J
    Forest Grove
    Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Lifetime Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Anyone care to convo me the user in question?

partsed and v0lcom13sn0w like this.
  8. edslhead

edslhead
    Vanc
    Diamond Supporter Diamond Supporter Silver Supporter

I just scroll past when I see the users avatar. Problem solved.:D

Oh, wait.. you mean me?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Mikej, Howard1955, 3MTA3 and 6 others like this.
  9. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

This place is really mellow, compared to a lot of other sites, with a lot of great people here. Sorry to hear you have to put someone on ignore.

Howard1955, edslhead, bbbass and 5 others like this.
  10. KKG

KKG
    Western Washington

Once you put someone on your ignore list and they respond to a thread it will show up in the thread that you are ignoring that person. If you want to see what they have said the system allows that to happen. If you decide to continue to ignore them you just have to "refresh" the page. Or you can decide to un-ignore.

11. Kruel J

Kruel J
    Forest Grove
    Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Lifetime Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Bueller? Bueller?

edslhead, notazombie, bbbass and 4 others like this.
  12. SKrueger

SKrueger
    West Coast
    Moderator Staff Member Diamond Supporter Gold Supporter 2017 Volunteer

Thats easy!

v0lcom13sn0w likes this.
  13. CountryGent

CountryGent
    Southern Oregon

I sent a PM inquiring upon this topic as well, but have not heard back yet. I have a strong suspicion on who the poster in question is, but do not know for certain.

3MTA3, bbbass and MilitantBEEMER like this.
  14. teflon97239

teflon97239
    Portland, OR area

That's a good question Andy, and I've asked myself that very thing daily since the week this occupation began.

My answer is that I'm not necessarily endowed with the same filters as many here. And while I do regard that vomiting eruption of web-spam as pandering, by golly, the guy IS getting his share of likes. While I don't see that as any merit badge of Worthiness To Post (or not to post), it looks like somebody's digging that flavor of Kool-Aid.

Like you, I've always been a proponent of speaking up - and directly to the individual - when I feel something needs to be righted. I just didn't think it was my place to determine what's funny, relevant, on-topic, suitable, or merely annoying trash. Hey, after all, more than a few people think Justin Beaver is good, so who am I to judge?

Seriously, great question, and I hear ya.

bbbass, Tarawa86, No_Regerts and 2 others like this.
  15. teflon97239

teflon97239
    Portland, OR area

+1+1+1 and +1
    Thanks man!

16. Kruel J

Kruel J
    Forest Grove

Pretty sure I have nailed down who this is about....

Does he break any rules? No.
    Does he troll? No.
    Does he post a lot of "empty calories"? Yes.

But since the first two are no's what or why would we do anything about it? The threads that he posts in are one's I barely ever pay attention to anyway. I'm here for the guns, not the humor or the scantily clad females holding guns.

Give me an example of a rule that was broken and I'll gladly look into it further. :)

Howard1955, Dungannon, 3MTA3 and 8 others like this.
  17. Kruel J

Kruel J
    Forest Grove

It's not convo's Andy, it's posts. As far as I read it anyway.

Howard1955, bbbass and No_Regerts like this.
  18. CountryGent

CountryGent
    Southern Oregon

^. Came to the same conclusion as well. And if one wishes to have an automatic ignore rather than the manual one, such a feature is available.

SKrueger likes this.
  19. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.
    Moderator with a Black powder affinity... Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Well that puts a different slant on things makes my reply seem....useless...:eek::oops::D
    Andy

20. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I used the ignorant feature on @EPS.. it randomizes his keyboard keys.

not really! love ya, EPS