JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay, I have a few legit tech questions, buried under a bit of a rant.

Throughout all the varied discussions and passionate opinions expressed here on NWFA (some that can get pretty heated - even uncivil), no one has managed to make me start an Ignore List - YET.

On the contrary, it's all fascinating to me, even the disputes, baiting, etc. And, actually, I sort of prefer to see what any member might have to say, even the trolls, and do my ignoring on-the-fly after a sentence or two ("know thy enemy"). Or just avoid reading their stuff altogether. But now I'm considering using Ignore, but for sort of a different reason.

A member recently started bombarding a number of threads with generic internet gibberish, memes, jokes, reposts, etc., etc. Dozens and dozens daily. I know he means no harm, but damn! To me, if feels like the NWFA site, which I've enjoyed for years is suddenly full of "junk mail," and I must now sort through a LOT of generic pandering in certain threads to search for the interesting stuff.

I know... (poking fun at myself here...) Waaaaaaaa!!!

Opinions vary.

Anyhow, here are my questions:

- When I put this player on ignore, will it only filter out his new stuff from this point going forward? Or will it hide all his older things from view too?

- Can I decide at some point to un-ignore him if I want to?

- And in that case, would all of his existing stuff re-appear as if he had never been on ignore?

I ask because Ignore is a new thing to me and I want to understand it before I pull the trigger, so to speak.

Thanks in advance.

You're not the Lone Ranger on this one. I've felt the same way since he started his posting marathon.
I figured he would cross the line and tick off one of the moderators, but so far he's passed the sobriety test.
He's probably posted a dozen times since you started this thread.

Last Edited:
^ I agree. This site is changing ever so slightly as a more and more diverse group of people discover it. Some "trolls" use it to pick fights so I simply ignore them once they reveal themselves. Joe and the crew work hard to keep the site great and I really appreciate that. I will continue to support financially and by word of mouth. I refuse to let a "few" trouble makers ruin it for me.

Answers below:

- When I put this player on ignore, will it only filter out his new stuff from this point going forward? Or will it hide all his older things from view too?

It will hide all of his content, past and present.

- Can I decide at some point to un-ignore him if I want to?

Yes, you can remove anyone from ignore at any time.

- And in that case, would all of his existing stuff re-appear as if he had never been on ignore?

Yes.

I ask because Ignore is a new thing to me and I want to understand it before I pull the trigger, so to speak.

Thanks in advance.

Hope that helps. Cheers.

I'm kind of outta the loop here, and kind of loopy still, but I havnt run into the issue you guys are having, so my view of it might be a bit narrow! Having said that, I only have 1 dude on ignore, and that's just to let things cool for a while. Once you ignore, it only hides that person's posts, no one else's, which can make things disjointed when other members respond to that person, so you need to be aware of that! Once you decide to un-ignore, all the person's posts come back for you to see if you want!
Now, if that particular member really crosses he line and the Moderatin Moderators don't moderate for what ever reason ( they may not have run across them yet or the numbers of offending posts) so you can/should report them so the Mods and Joe see them and can better respond if needed!

Not trying to sound like a smart azz here...and I do understand about the "junk mail"...
But...
Have you asked the member in question to cut back on the amount of messages sent to you...?
Some folks may just try too hard to be "friends" or he may not be aware of the effect of what he is doing...
Andy

Once you put someone on your ignore list and they respond to a thread it will show up in the thread that you are ignoring that person. If you want to see what they have said the system allows that to happen. If you decide to continue to ignore them you just have to "refresh" the page. Or you can decide to un-ignore.

Not trying to sound like a smart azz here...and I do understand about the "junk mail"...
But...
Have you asked the member in question to cut back on the amount of messages sent to you...?
Some folks may just try too hard to be "friends" or he may not be aware of the effect of what he is doing...
Andy

That's a good question Andy, and I've asked myself that very thing daily since the week this occupation began.

My answer is that I'm not necessarily endowed with the same filters as many here. And while I do regard that vomiting eruption of web-spam as pandering, by golly, the guy IS getting his share of likes. While I don't see that as any merit badge of Worthiness To Post (or not to post), it looks like somebody's digging that flavor of Kool-Aid.

Like you, I've always been a proponent of speaking up - and directly to the individual - when I feel something needs to be righted. I just didn't think it was my place to determine what's funny, relevant, on-topic, suitable, or merely annoying trash. Hey, after all, more than a few people think Justin Beaver is good, so who am I to judge?

Seriously, great question, and I hear ya.

Pretty sure I have nailed down who this is about....

Does he break any rules? No.
Does he troll? No.
Does he post a lot of "empty calories"? Yes.

But since the first two are no's what or why would we do anything about it? The threads that he posts in are one's I barely ever pay attention to anyway. I'm here for the guns, not the humor or the scantily clad females holding guns.

Give me an example of a rule that was broken and I'll gladly look into it further. :)

But...
Andy

It's not convo's Andy, it's posts. As far as I read it anyway.

Pretty sure I have nailed down who this is about....

Does he break any rules? No.
Does he troll? No.
Does he post a lot of "empty calories"? Yes.

But since the first two are no's what or why would we do anything about it? The threads that he posts in are one's I barely ever pay attention to anyway. I'm here for the guns, not the humor or the scantily clad females holding guns.

Give me an example of a rule that was broken and I'll gladly look into it further. :)

^. Came to the same conclusion as well. And if one wishes to have an automatic ignore rather than the manual one, such a feature is available.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top