JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's not $85.00 less. That ad didn't meet a reserve. Started at a penny from a GB member in good standing, and only went to $500.00 in 5 bids. That says picture stolen!

Must not be much of an optic? If people on GB wouldn't bid it higher.

Good thing you got all these good people here ay NWFA to keep your dumb self from falling to bastids like this! :s0155:
I wouldn't be calling someone dumb for detecting a suspicious ad and asking for confirmation. Maybe keep opinions that aren't important to yourself?

Id pass on it. The poor english and rushed urgency of purchase is also a red flag.

Because of all these scams.. aside from NWFA with our awesome feedback scores I dont do any kind of online payment and shipping.. I just don't trust folks anymore. Way too many scams out there.

Id pass on it. The poor english and rushed urgency of purchase is also a red flag.

Because of all these scams.. aside from NWFA with our awesome feedback scores I dont do any kind of online payment and shipping.. I just don't trust folks anymore. Way too many scams out there.
Yes I caught onto that. Fortunately I've been lucky enough to have dealt with some good sellers in the past, even on Armslist... but I do notice when an ad looks scammy. Frankly the price itself was enough for me to think something was off. An $800 optic selling for $400 almost new is a red flag itself. I kinda want to keep acting interested to see if I can get info outta the guy and shut him down. He already gave me his PayPal email. Maybe report that?

Yes I caught onto that. Fortunately I've been lucky enough to have dealt with some good sellers in the past, even on Armslist... but I do notice when an ad looks scammy. Frankly the price itself was enough for me to think something was off. An $800 optic selling for $400 almost new is a red flag itself. I kinda want to keep acting interested to see if I can get info outta the guy and shut him down. He already gave me his PayPal email. Maybe report that?
But how awesome would it have been had it been legit. Thats the little voice in my head that always makes it hard to run away from a good deal..

Wonder if you can pick up more info or even possibly meet up half way on a weekend trip. For an $800 optic selling for $400.. to me that'd be worth the drive (only half way of course)

I wouldn't be calling someone dumb for detecting a suspicious ad and asking for confirmation. Maybe keep opinions that aren't important to yourself?

Nothing personal, really. You never do dumb stuff? You never said to yourself "Well that was a stupid thing to do"? I sure have. And asking the fine members of this board is just the ticket to keep a person from doing something dumb.

Peace brother. :s0094:

Some listings that seem too good to be true are not scams. Awhile back I saw S&W Pro Series 1911 NIB on AL for $650. I thought it was a scam and decided to mess with the guy. Come to find out he was in Wilsonville and I met him that day and bought it. I asked why was he selling it so cheap after the sale and he said he had it for $750 and got no response. I suspect folks thought it was a scam at $750 too.

Nothing personal, really. You never do dumb stuff? You never said to yourself "Well that was a stupid thing to do"? I sure have. And asking the fine members of this board is just the ticket to keep a person from doing something dumb.

Peace brother. :s0094:
I do dumb stuff all of the time. I don't think validating a concern about a potential scam through a community that probably does a lot more transacting than myself would border on dumb. Rather quite the opposite. Dumb would have been to blindly make the purchase without establishing some security beforehand.

I do dumb stuff all of the time. I don't think validating a concern about a potential scam through a community that probably does a lot more transacting than myself would border on dumb. Rather quite the opposite. Dumb would have been to blindly make the purchase without establishing some security beforehand.

I think MikeJ was saying it was smart to ask here, not dumb

Some listings that seem too good to be true are not scams. Awhile back I saw S&W Pro Series 1911 NIB on AL for $650. I thought it was a scam and decided to mess with the guy. Come to find out he was in Wilsonville and I met him that day and bought it. I asked why was he selling it so cheap after the sale and he said he had it for $750 and got no response. I suspect folks thought it was a scam at $750 too.

Exactly. There was nothing really about the ad that seemed a scam other than the price being low. There isn't really any way that I'm aware of to check for cross posting of the same photos on different ads across the internet. It wasn't until I started conversing that something seemed off. Sure it would have been a great deal and I wish it was real but I still have money in my pocket and that's worth more to me.

I bought a Honda VFR 750 once a while back for a few thousand below going prices. A young father who's wife split needed the money. I felt bad and I may have been an *** for taking advantage, but I was an *** with an almost new VFR 750. Some times people just need money.

Does anyone know PayPal policy on protecting goods associated with firearms like optics that aren't actually firearms or ammunition? I didn't want to get caught making a claim and then PayPal wont back me up and ends up booting my account.

Sigh....

Good thing you got all these good people here ay NWFA to keep your dumb self from falling to bastids like this! :s0155:

I've never had to return anything via PayPal - but I don't use it much and only to people I more or less trust (for gun stuff, it has been people who post here). I have heard some people claim that PayPal stuck them on returns/etc. - in part because they were the seller and the buyer claimed something untrue and vice versa.

I bought a Honda VFR 750 once a while back for a few thousand below going prices. A young father who's wife split needed the money. I felt bad and I may have been an *** for taking advantage, but I was an *** with an almost new VFR 750. Some times people just need money.
True. My father bought a new car back in the early 70s (cant remember what kind). The ad in the paper said $5 for the car which was worth at least a couple thousand I believe. He kept asking the guy if he mistyped the ad and the guy kept insisting $5. So he drove to meet the guy and it was a like new car. Turned out the guy had gone through a divorce and had to liquidate and give his ex (who he despised) half of it. Legally that was the minimum he could sell it for. His goal was to not give his ex a dime apparently. My dad made quite well off the deal.

Okay now. I sighed......And I quoted myself, and thought you might read that as I meant it. Let me try to explain. Had you sent the guy money via paypal, and got ripped, you could have said to yourself. Wait for it!...."Man, what did I let my dumb self do?".
;)

Okay now. I sighed......And I quoted myself, and thought you might read that as I meant it. Let me try to explain. Had you sent the guy money via paypal, and got ripped, you could have said to yourself. Wait for it!...."Man, what did I let my dumb self do?".
;)
Sorry I read it completely different than it appears was intended. All is good. Thanks for your clarification.

I've never had to return anything via PayPal - but I don't use it much and only to people I more or less trust (for gun stuff, it has been people who post here). I have heard some people claim that PayPal stuck them on returns/etc. - in part because they were the seller and the buyer claimed something untrue and vice versa.

I've purchased many a firearm related item through PayPal without really reviewing the policy. The only items I've purchased through them that would have violated their policy were through business websites that offered the PayPal feature. I did purchase an optic recently from a gentleman in Kentucky using PayPal. I did not feel iffy about that purchase in any way. The guy was very clear and up front. But now I got to thinking...PayPal seems somewhat "anti gun." It would be too easy for me to get scammed and when I turn to PayPal to cover my butt they're gonna ask "what did you purchase." I guess my answer would be...an optic for my airsoft gun? :s0114:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews