JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Kind of a philosophy of use question or "what makes sense" in your opinion, is 1-8x28 LPVO too much scope for a 13.9" general purpose AR-15? I am debating between a 1-6 and a 1-8. So far trade offs appear to be:

1-6x24 is lighter, cheaper, and maybe all a rifle like this needs. 1-8x28 has a bigger objective, wider FoV, more top end, but is considerably heavier, a bit more expensive, and is (maybe) too much top end for my effective range and maybe wasted on this application.

What do you guys think?
Could you define "considerably heavier"?

Expanding on some stats already mentioned above.... 1-6 Vortex Strike Eagle is 18.5 oz and the 1-8 FFP is 23.9 oz. While 5.4 oz is quite a difference mathematically, we are talking about less than 1/2 a pound. I would be willing to live with that 5.4 oz to have the option if I needed it.

Could you define "considerably heavier"?

Expanding on some stats already mentioned above.... 1-6 Vortex Strike Eagle is 18.5 oz and the 1-8 FFP is 23.9 oz. While 5.4 oz is quite a difference mathematically, we are talking about less than 1/2 a pound. I would be willing to live with that 5.4 oz to have the option if I needed it.
For example, the Trijicon Credo 1-6x24 weighs around 18 ounces. The Credo 1-8x28 weighs about 25 ounces. To me around half a pound is a significant increase for a fighting rifle.

For example, the Trijicon Credo 1-6x24 weighs around 18 ounces. The Credo 1-8x28 weighs about 25 ounces. To me around half a pound is a significant increase for a fighting rifle.
Kahles k18i, 19 oz for a few Hundo's more if weight is a consideration, the k16i is 16 oz.
March short 1-8 is pretty light on the scale but not the wallet.

You can pretty much get just about any features you want on a scope these days
Cheap, lightweight, and quality glass won't be featured at the same time though.

I tend to agree with you regarding weight concerns on a GP rifle. However, keep in mind that the 1-6 and 1-8 Credo are substantially different beasts, from main tube size to turret design, etc... Similar can be said regarding other examples (VCOG, etc...). That being said, there are other options that can better address / bridge some of the gaps you are concerned about IMO.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top