JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
... should I think it is?

A relatively new Aimpoint compM5 being sold for almost half the price of a new one.... WITH the box on none other than Armslist....

The guy is supposedly here in Oregon but way down in Grant's pass and I'm in Gresham so meeting f2f is a no go...

What seems funny is how urgent the guy has been since I initiated the conversation with him just this evening. Keeps asking "if we have a deal"... and his English is also a bit....off... I've noticed a few times.

He said he would accept PayPal as a goods purchase which SUPPOSEDLY protects me BUT...

PayPal, being anti gun does not allow nor protect "firearms parts" sales. While they do not list optics specifically, they are so vague they could make it exclude them should they choose. I really don't want to pass on the deal but I also don't want to get ripped off several hundreds of dollars. Any opinions? Has anyone actually determined if PayPal covers optics?

Based on what you have described about the communication I would have already passed on it - for a variety of reasons....
I called him out on his broken English and whether or not he's from Oregon and he said he would talk to me on the phone now

This will expose the guy if he is a scammer. Say you will be in GP or have a friend who will inspect it and buy it for you. If he is legit he will accept the offer for a FTF if not there will be some excuse why he can't do it FTF.

Guessing it's this one:
ARMSLIST - For Sale: AIMPOINT COMP M5 2MOA Factory New

Odd that he is selling it for $85.00 less than it was listed for on Gunbroker 2 moths ago
AIMPOINT COMP M5 2MOA Factory New - Gun Scopes at GunBroker.com : 789751500

NoFromMe.gif

Last Edited:
Cut and paste ad type. 2 different serial numbers in pictures. Same serial number in another ad on GB from Kentucky.

RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nothing lost, nothing gained, no such thing as a free lunch. If it seems to good to be true, it more so than not, is.

has he mentioned his agent or courier yet? this has fraud written all over it.

I'm down in Grants Pass and I could contact him like I am interested and see how he responds. But the copy/paste ad and his behavior so far seem suspicious. He's only recently registered, which is another red flag. I will also freely admit to not having Aimpoint equipment so I could likely miss a forgery. At the least, I'll ask him where he's from and see what his response is. Although usually if it's too good to be true, it is. Especially on Armslist.

When I smell a scam on AL, the first thing I do is see if they have other items for sale. Many scammers will have multiple items FS, sometimes with different locations and almost always a different background in the picture. I wish some of these folks would be prosecuted.

From ArmsList ads, I say something like "I can't quite tell from the picture, but could you take a picture of [area interested in] and could you put a dime next to it, for size comparison, so I can get an idea? That would be a huge help to me. Thank you."

Be polite, try and get them to take another picture and put a coin (any coin you choose) in the picture. If they have it, it shouldn't be a problem for them.

If you get no response, or a bunch of excuses, you will get your answer.

BTW, good on s1xty7 for offering! :s0155:

Guessing it's this one:
ARMSLIST - For Sale: AIMPOINT COMP M5 2MOA Factory New

Odd that he is selling it for $85.00 less than it was listed for on Gunbroker 2 moths ago
AIMPOINT COMP M5 2MOA Factory New - Gun Scopes at GunBroker.com : 789751500

View attachment 532506

That's not $85.00 less. That ad didn't meet a reserve. Started at a penny from a GB member in good standing, and only went to $500.00 in 5 bids. That says picture stolen!

Must not be much of an optic? If people on GB wouldn't bid it higher.

Good thing you got all these good people here ay NWFA to keep your dumb self from falling to bastids like this! :s0155:

Last Edited:
I saw a great deal on eBay for a Leupold scope. The picture had a scope on top of a Leupold box but never in the description was there any mention of the word Leupold. A quick internet search showed many counterfeits.

From ArmsList ads, I say something like "I can't quite tell from the picture, but could you take a picture of [area interested in] and could you put a dime next to it, for size comparison, so I can get an idea? That would be a huge help to me. Thank you."

Be polite, try and get them to take another picture and put a coin (any coin you choose) in the picture. If they have it, it shouldn't be a problem for them.

If you get no response, or a bunch of excuses, you will get your answer.

BTW, good on s1xty7 for offering! :s0155:
Yeah I asked him enough questions to make any normal persons head spin. Seemed he had the stamina to keep answering...I was trying to catch him contradicting himself. When it was finally 3am and I asked him why his English was broken he told me to text or call. Interestingly enough he stopped being pushy after that.

I'm down in Grants Pass and I could contact him like I am interested and see how he responds. But the copy/paste ad and his behavior so far seem suspicious. He's only recently registered, which is another red flag. I will also freely admit to not having Aimpoint equipment so I could likely miss a forgery. At the least, I'll ask him where he's from and see what his response is. Although usually if it's too good to be true, it is. Especially on Armslist.
Agreed. I would email him. Ask where he's at. If he says Grant's Pass tell him let's meet just to see how he responds. If he claims another city, tell him your friend emailed him and said he was in Grants Pass

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top