JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My brother can't close one eye at a time. He claims it's from all those times I held a pillow over his face when we were growing up.
That's funny remind 's me of the remake of the vacation movie when the little brother keeps putting a plastic bag over his brother 's head

284778-58738050a0bdafdf5b9bbac574093196.jpg
See the nice picture target right between his eyes, from the reaction in the video, I think maybe that's where the store owner was aiming and apparently hit dead center.

It was a clean shoot, but let's not forget that the owner has to live with it and deal with what happened. Bad guy or not taking a life isn't easy.

Old Jeff Cooper thought this factor was overemphasized, and that the proper response was jubilation (on account of still being alive :)). I think he had a point; "society" tells us we are supposed to feel terrible, and so we do because we are told so, but maybe the anguish is not necessary.

@ PaulB47,

Too be blunt , I know how I feel , because I have done so ... its not a academic or philosophical exercise for me.
It isn't society that I listen to , when I think or feel about this act.

I 'm saying that he ( the store owner in the OP ) will have to come to a understanding about what he did... and that it may not be easy.
He will could have everything from legal trouble to people telling him how he needs to feel.
All of which may not be so easy.
Which I did mention in my first post on this subject.
Andy

Last Edited:
I found the Cooper discussion in "To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth", starting p24:

"We are told from all sides that if one wins a lethal encounter he will feel dreadful. It is odd that no one seems to have felt dreadful about this until very recently. Throughout recorded history the winning of a fight has generally been considered a subject for congratulation.... It is my belief, however, that it is primarily a public relations innovation designed to parry various sorts of preposterous litigation which have become common in our courts. Policemen are now instructed by their supervisors that, should they become involved in a fight, their attitude upon its conclusion should be one of shock, dismay, horror and hysteria. This to present a proper picture to the press. In actuality what they usually feel is pleased and proud."

He then advises that the combat mindset should include, at the end:

After the conflict - probably relief, gratification, and pride - approximately in that order. If it is advisable for the shooter to display distress, for various ulterior reasons, that is an administrative matter.

Never having really been impressed with Col. Cooper ...
I gotta ask did he actually ever shoot someone , or just write about it?

Not trying ruffle feathers or cast aspersions on anyone's favorite writer.
Just asking if he did.
And if he did not , then don't try to tell me how to feel about it , thank you very much!
Andy

Morality is the issue, having experienced this first hand through 13 deployments I can tell you, as one who was raised to value life and not to squander the gift of life, I am morally bound to feel sadness for each and every loss of life I have experienced! The killing of another human is not some abject thought or random act, there are morals involved, and there is internal conflict that must be addressed if one is to survive it! There is a price that must be payed, a part of your sole is the cost, how deep the purse that holds that sole is what keeps you sane! As to what PaulB47 states, I agree in principle, this good man did what had to be done, and he should not be MADE to feel any thing other then Joy and being alive, and to have survived this incident un harmed! and no one has any right to judge this good man for what was done, for that falls to him alone, and his GOD!!!

Different people will feel different ways. Telling people how they should and will feel is not particularly valid. Every person is different. Not everyone is a hard case who has been in combat, and not all of us are "snowflakes" who are going to fall apart after defending ourselves.

Until it happens we don't really know how we will react.

I am certainly not going to criticize someone for any kind of emotional trauma they have after taking a life in self-defense, nor would I recommend jumping around for joy immediately afterwards even if they feel like doing so.

Having seen people die, having seen dead bodies, having seen innocent people get severely injured and having had to help these people and then deal with what I saw afterwards, I think I would be okay, but I really doubt I would feel elated - probably relieved eventually, but not joyful.

And if he did not , then don't try to tell me how to feel about it , thank you very much!
Note to all , especially PaulB47 ,
This remark was aimed at Col. Cooper's writing and not to anyone who has responded to this thread.
I have enjoyed reading all the postings in this thread. And respect all viewpoints shown.

After re-reading my posts in posts #108 and #110 , I think I might have come across as a little sharp or offensive , which was not my intention.
( And yes , it seems a bit weird to quote myself :D )
Andy

Last Edited:
Note to all , especially PaulB47 ,
This remark was aimed at Col. Cooper's writing and not to anyone who has responded to this thread.
I have enjoyed reading all the postings in this thread. And respect all viewpoints shown.

After re-reading my post in post #110 I think I might have come across as a little sharp or offensive , which was not my intention.
( And yes , it seems a bit weird to quote myself :D )
Andy

You're good, Andy. You've always been the gentleman here.
As to the late, great Colonel Cooper:
Even his most die hard acolytes acknowledge he could be a bit prickly.
He's up in heaven even now looking down his Heavenly .45 at us telling us to go back to the Weaver stance.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top