JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Quarantine + 3D printer + bin of electronics = Digital Round Counter

Had some free time so I made an adapter and sensor that fits onto my Lee Factory Crimp Dies which detects the finished crimped rounds on the upstroke before they launch down the chute. It's swappable between my quick change setups and since I process my brass separately prior to loading, I made an adapter that screws into the toolheads I use for empty brass.

Obligatory photos.

Combined.jpg

Nice idea. I have an old Omron counter I *could* use, but it's meaningless, IMO.
Once I stick my pistol brass in a bulk carrier, it doesn't matter how many I loaded - unless it was to the top, it isn't enough. Over the years I have been surprised too many times - what was a full ammo can is now empty.
I know how many cases I have prepped going in, how many primers I will use, and how many bullets I have set aside. If my count gets off (usually missing a primer), I know my process is wrong. Then I have the chamber check, and sometimes cull a few rounds with that.
Ultimately, I start with a clean bench, finish with one. The times in between loading, it's a complete disaster area.

Nice idea. I have an old Omron counter I *could* use, but it's meaningless, IMO.
Once I stick my pistol brass in a bulk carrier, it doesn't matter how many I loaded - unless it was to the top, it isn't enough. Over the years I have been surprised too many times - what was a full ammo can is now empty.
I know how many cases I have prepped going in, how many primers I will use, and how many bullets I have set aside. If my count gets off (usually missing a primer), I know my process is wrong. Then I have the chamber check, and sometimes cull a few rounds with that.
Ultimately, I start with a clean bench, finish with one. The times in between loading, it's a complete disaster area.
50, 100, 150...:p. It works pretty well for revolvers. I guess if I shot a ton of auto stuff I would start looking at ammo cans and bags maybe.

20200502_190358.jpg

I will be the first to admit it was more for me and the challenge of making it work across all of the calibers I reload than any actual production value. ;)

I will be the first to admit it was more for me and the challenge of making it work across all of the calibers I reload than any actual production value.
Totally understand that. I have a Raspberry Pi waiting for me to code in a GPS based NTS Time Server. At 28 I attacked similar problems with gusto. At double that age, I'd rather load ammo. But, if we really were locked down and I had nothing to do, I'd build an auto case and bullet feeder for my LnL, and automate my Ponsness Warren.

Quarantine + 3D printer + bin of electronics = Digital Round Counter

Had some free time so I made an adapter and sensor that fits onto my Lee Factory Crimp Dies which detects the finished crimped rounds on the upstroke before they launch down the chute. It's swappable between my quick change setups and since I process my brass separately prior to loading, I made an adapter that screws into the toolheads I use for empty brass.

Obligatory photos.

View attachment 692018

If I had one for my 550B, it would get confused often because I have to back up a lot! ;)

If I had one for my 550B, it would get confused often because I have to back up a lot! ;)
Nope.... that is exactly what I didn't like about some of the designs that count press strokes, shellplate rotations, or finished rounds taking the "same" path down the chute. Mine only counts rounds that get crimped....empty spots on the shellplate don't get counted.:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top