JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That story was proven to be false. It was discussed at length on opencarry.org
Everyone likes to bring up this story as an example even though it wasn't true.
Maybe this one then? I would venture to say some of this might go unreported as well as it just plain sounds stupid that you got your open carry stolen. Also didn't a cop not that long ago have a kid snatch away his holstered gun? Again open carry good for some but it's an extra layer of alertness that I'd rather not have to deal with.

Well it's early and I'm feeling like inviting some pain I guess...

My CC is a P22.

Yup it's rim fire ( I know how to clear a dead round but this gun has had thousands of rounds thru it and I can count on one hand the number of fail to fires I've had).

Yup it's a tiny round; my knife is only 3.5 inch' as well.

This is something I see all the time and only half agree with.

Noobs should not carry anything that has a higher then average fail rate; however I feel very comfortable with only a 22 on me, I'm capable of beating most people senseless with it as a club if it doesn't fire - that's just me though.

My point is that I think people have overblown the .22 as a noobs choice of protection and forget that some people just don't need more.

99% of the situations where it would be usefull the attacker will be within arms length by the time I have it in his face anyway. I'm stopping stupid kids and bangers, not PCP enraged roid heads and don't feel the need for a .45acp.

Would I be happy with a .50 cal DE all the time? Hellz yea I would but I can't think of many situations that I would need it in (if any that I would put myself in).

My unfriendly face (like someone else mentioned is my best line of defense).

Flame away:p

Clearly, you are undercompensting. ;)

While maybe rare occurrences, do you really want to make yourself a target by open carrying? This day in age, from loony left-wing fringe crazies SWATting, to robberies of your open carry gun, to your everyday hoplophobe just dialing 911 on you for carrying down the street, the hassle just isn't worth it. But, if you can handle it. More power to you,,, :)

Maybe this one then? I would venture to say some of this might go unreported as well as it just plain sounds stupid that you got your open carry stolen. Also didn't a cop not that long ago have a kid snatch away his holstered gun? Again open carry good for some but it's an extra layer of alertness that I'd rather not have to deal with.
I'll have to look into it more later but at the time that robbery happened open carry would have been the only legal option.
There was no concealed carry in Wisconsin in 2010.

Shock n awe? The simple presence of an openly carried weapon isn't shock n awe.

Simple open carry of a pistol on your hip, I would tend to agree with you. For the most part, people aren't that shocked by that. But the carrying of AR's and AK's slung at port arms lately is. It is not a normal, everyday behavior, as much as some would like it to be. And it has forced fence sitters over the wrong direction. It's given the anti campaigns who otherwise don't have a leg to stand on a whole platform that they have utilized towards their end. The fact is that the anti's will use any ammunition they are give, so we as gun owners need to mind that we don't give them any.

A rifle at "port arms" or a slung one at a low ready would I'm my eyes be the same as walking around with your hand gripped on your holstered pistol. And would send most people into a heightened state.

In some states, Texas for example... The open carry of pistols is illegal, but the open carry of rifles is legal. And you see people open carry long arms down there as much as you see pistols oc'd up here, more people notice though cause it's more at eye level than a pistol on the hip.

Then you have asshats who walked around at a low ready, in a fast food joint. That's where we look bad, is these idiots.

Last Edited:
Here's another one to dissect,
http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/t...cle_970e24e7-dd5d-57e7-8fb8-a64a0a2b26ba.html

"Tyler, a customer at the BP station, was killed about 8:15 p.m. Friday, Nov. 25, inside the store. According to court papers, Smith and Hamiel arrived at the BP together on a single scooter and followed Tyler into the store.
Tyler, 48, had a concealed-carry permit, but his handgun was plainly visible that night in his holster, Johnson said.
"The suspects walk in and one immediately reached for Mr. Tyler's gun," Johnson said. Tyler did not draw his weapon.
According to court papers, Smith took Tyler's gun during a struggle and shot Tyler in the chest after the victim chased Smith inside the store"

Hard to find something recent all right. Must not happen a lot or get reported.

I guess the question to ask yourself if you choose to open carry is this.
Do you think a couple of thugs would want your gun enough to follow and wait till the right moment to stick a gun/knife in your back and try taking it?

If you OC don't have a routine. Coffee shop at 8 every day, crapper at 9 then hang out at the local gun shop etc.!
That's what I imagine you retired guys get to do all day LOL.
If I was a thug I'd try for your gun during your regular 9:15 wiping:cool:

Anyway to me it's like flashing your cash, add a fixed routine and the wrong punk will get to know your schedule better than your wife!:oops:
Are you really at the coffee shop every morning honey???

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/10/1...ent=2014-10-14&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

Carrying a gun openly may seem like a good idea, but giving away your secrets is almost always a bad move. William Coleman III of Gresham, Oregon learned that the hard way when his openly-carried–and newly-purchased–pistol was stolen from him at gunpoint.

Coleman was <broken link removed> loitering and talking with a cousin around 2:00 AM when he was approached by a tall, thin, black male who asked him for a cigarette. After asking Coleman about the pistol on his side, the man pulled a gun from his own waistband and said, "I like your gun. Give it to me."

Coleman handed over the <broken link removed> pistol that he'd bought earlier that day, and the robber fled in his flip-flops.

If Coleman had been carrying concealed, he would almost certainly have never been approached and would still have his pistol. The point of carrying a gun is to create safety and security, not to attract attention. Carrying openly attracts unwanted attention and ensures that anyone approaching you will know that you are armed and take precautions against that, like pulling their gun first and potentially taking yours.

Carrying concealed keeps people guessing. A potential robber or thief has to wonder, "Is that person armed? Can I get away with attacking or robbing him or her?" It also means that if they approach thinking you are unarmed and without wielding weapons of their own, you have an advantage.

Open carry also makes many non-gun people uncomfortable, while concealed carry provides the benefits of having a handy firearm without stirring up fears and emotions.

There are many reasons to carry a concealed firearm. We can't examine all of them here, but one of the top reasons is that nobody is likely to approach you, pull a pistol, and steal your gun. That has got to ruin your day.

I agree with the advantages of CC over OC, except out in the forests hunting/hiking/fishing and I practice as such, but there are die hard OCer's that you'll NEVER convince otherwise, so......

:s0013:

We need a preacher that's preaching to the choir emoticon. ;)

He wasn't paying attention.
Secondly, 2AM.. Standing around.. Its just asking for trouble.

There are many things he could have done better.
Perhaps if he was paying attention he wouldn't let a stranger get that close.
Proximity and situational awareness are things ANY carrier should be actively looking for and engaged in.

It's a true lifestyle. If you're going to try your hand at a defensive lifestyle, it's something you do to the fullest extent.

This seems like a false flag anomaly, to which doesn't prove much to me. Walking up to a hard target (armed) and robbing them at gunpoint versus a soft target (unarmed) isn't common nor sane.

But any serious OC'er (or any carrier) doesn't pack a little .22.. So most of us know this guy probably wasn't a "gun guy" to begin with.

He obviously was in condition white and had zero tactical awareness. I always pack one of my walking sticks like the pic I'll attach. Not merely a crutch, it's a 2.2 lb quite formidable less lethal weapon (old growth Aussie Eucalyptus) that can keep them off you without having to resort to the gun. I teach the stick as part of modern JKD, so it's uses are instinctual for me. It would look a lot better to a court to explain you broke a bone, smashed some teeth or cracked a skull in this situation, than opening fire on an unarmed kook. Yeah this one was armed but many aren't. IMO it's also a better contact distance weapon than a 22 pistol, and it doesn't require reloads :eek:

2014_07_24_233_218dd5d2525b54bf83ee.jpg

I OC all the time but also CC as well but not as much. In my own opinion i feel that if we don't use it we will loose it.

Now i understand both sides of this. But i feel if more people were exposed to guns then it wouldn't be such a shock "he has a gun, call the police hes going to shoot up the store" . I am not one of those guys who is a hardcore OC person. If i couldn't then i would CC, wouldn't hurt my feelings.

I feel if enough people OC then it would be such a big deal and MAYBE 10-20 % of the population would start to carry a gun and MAYBE there wouldn't be so many mass shootings. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how i feel. Wouldn't a guy who was going into a store,McDonald's, or whatever think well there is 4 people in there with guns don't think i could cause that much harm in there before one of them shot me. I would feel better there is a lot more good guys out there with guns.

That's my 2 cents on this. Hope you all have a great day.:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top