JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index.ssf/2014/10/gresham_man_robbed_of_pistol_a.html

Gresham Police Department investigators are looking for a man who reportedly stole a pistol from its owner at gunpoint.

According to Gresham police, William Coleman III was talking to his cousin near 172nd and Glisan at about 2:10 a.m. on Saturday while openly carrying the gun he had purchased on Friday.

Coleman said a man, about 19- to 23-years-old, approached them, asking for a cigarette. Coleman said the man then inquired about Coleman's weapon, then pulled a pistol from his own waistband and said, "I like your gun. Give it to me." Coleman handed over his new handgun and the suspect left on foot.

Coleman described the man as 6-foot-1, clean cut with a small patch of facial hair on his chin and short black wavy hair. He was wearing grey sweatpants, a white t-shirt and flip-flops during the incident.

The stolen gun was a black Walther P22 semi-automatic designed to take 22-long ammunition.

Anyone with information on the case can call the Gresham Police Tips line at 503-618-2719.

-- Adrianna Rodriguez

Crazy stuff!

Man'O man. Guess it would be beneficial to carry a spare?! Perhaps put the thug down when he turns his back? I carried two for a while but it was such a hassle.. I might rethink that strategy.

Such a bold robbery.. Crazy times.
Situational awareness.. But at the same time.. When it's such a fast approach it isn't like sitting/standing in a defensive position in a room.

Has still not shaken my advocacy of open carry.

My first thought is the "victim" must have screamed victim. That might not be fair but I would like to think the same thing would not happen to me. I am afraid in that same situation I may have got shot. I think I would have done my best give him the gun bullets first

-
You lost me right after I read ..." Walther P22 ".
Now he is forced to buy something that is an actual defensive carry handgun .

I don't know how much of an opportunity there was to draw and fire, It's probably going to give you more pause with a .22 on your hip than a 9mm or a .45.

That had to be unbelievably humiliating to have a gun taken away at gunpoint.

He did not even have the pistol for a week. Probably just trying it out for fit "Hey cuz, check out my new 22"

Happened in Multnomah County, so if he did not have his CHL it would be illegal to open carry loaded or even have rounds in a magazine!

Sharks know who will fight back whether the victim is armed or not. They can read the body language of their victim. It isn't carrying a gun that is going to save you but how you carry yourself. Don't look like a victim.

+1 for situational awareness. Very strange situation. This is one reason I don't open carry, I prefer the element of surprise. I also don't put on a friendly demeanor when I'm approached by a stranger - and at 2:30 in the morning?! Maybe not the best time of day to be having a conversation on the curb. If I'm approached by someone I don't know, I am not going to look like an easy mark. Considering he was packing a Walther P22, I wonder if he'd even had any real experience with a gun before - his choice of carry weapon really makes me wonder. He was probably shocked at the size of the opening in the barrel of the (likely) Hi-Point he found him self staring down.

If a guy robs you while wearing flip flops, then it stands to reason that he lives nearby and it's his turf that you're strolling through at 2:30 am. He saw these clowns coming a mile away.

He was open carrying a 22 he bought the day before at 2:30 am in Gresham? As my daughter would say: "NOOB!" I recommend the guy write that gun off on his taxes as an education expense.

If Im going to Gresham in the daytime I at least bring an extra mag with me.

He did not even have the pistol for a week. Probably just trying it out for fit "Hey cuz, check out my new 22"

Happened in Multnomah County, so if he did not have his CHL it would be illegal to open carry loaded or even have rounds in a magazine!

That actually makes me feel a lot better that the robber also had an unloaded gun with no rounds loaded or in the magazine because of that ordinance. I need to call up the county officials and thank them for making our robberies safer. Just think if he actually robbed him with a loaded gun? Someone might have got hurt.

Well it's early and I'm feeling like inviting some pain I guess...

My CC is a P22.

Yup it's rim fire ( I know how to clear a dead round but this gun has had thousands of rounds thru it and I can count on one hand the number of fail to fires I've had).

Yup it's a tiny round; my knife is only 3.5 inch' as well.

This is something I see all the time and only half agree with.

Noobs should not carry anything that has a higher then average fail rate; however I feel very comfortable with only a 22 on me, I'm capable of beating most people senseless with it as a club if it doesn't fire - that's just me though.

My point is that I think people have overblown the .22 as a noobs choice of protection and forget that some people just don't need more.

99% of the situations where it would be usefull the attacker will be within arms length by the time I have it in his face anyway. I'm stopping stupid kids and bangers, not PCP enraged roid heads and don't feel the need for a .45acp.

Would I be happy with a .50 cal DE all the time? Hellz yea I would but I can't think of many situations that I would need it in (if any that I would put myself in).

My unfriendly face (like someone else mentioned is my best line of defense).

Flame away:p

Well it's early and I'm feeling like inviting some pain I guess...

My CC is a P22.

Yup it's rim fire ( I know how to clear a dead round but this gun has had thousands of rounds thru it and I can count on one hand the number of fail to fires I've had).

Yup it's a tiny round; my knife is only 3.5 inch' as well.

This is something I see all the time and only half agree with.

Noobs should not carry anything that has a higher then average fail rate; however I feel very comfortable with only a 22 on me, I'm capable of beating most people senseless with it as a club if it doesn't fire - that's just me though.

My point is that I think people have overblown the .22 as a noobs choice of protection and forget that some people just don't need more.

99% of the situations where it would be usefull the attacker will be within arms length by the time I have it in his face anyway. I'm stopping stupid kids and bangers, not PCP enraged roid heads and don't feel the need for a .45acp.

Would I be happy with a .50 cal DE all the time? Hellz yea I would but I can't think of many situations that I would need it in (if any that I would put myself in).

My unfriendly face (like someone else mentioned is my best line of defense).

Flame away:p

Are you crazy! Are you off your meds?!

Just kidding :p

Seriously though, considering what most folks choose to carry, it is surprising to me when I find someone (and it's rare) that carries .22 For me the issue isn't the capability of the round itself - while a larger round like 9mm or .45 will certainly do more damage, the .22 has proven itself useful for self defense in the past (I certainly wouldn't want to be shot with one). My main issue is that I don't consider rimfire rounds as reliable as centerfire. I've owned some great .22 pistols over the years, and I love to shoot them, but every single one has experienced more failures due to ammo than any of my centerfire pistols.

All that said, I'd consider carrying a Kel-Tec PMR30 if they were reliable enough and not so overpriced - 30 rounds of .22 WMR would certainly be worth consideration.

So carry on my friend. And I'll be sure to walk on the other side of the street when I see the menacing glare ;)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top