JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
By WSP doing way too fast in a 55 coming off the hill coming from Bonney Lake. Just had been shooting and had my CC stuffed between the console and seat and a loaded .357 in a holster laying on the passenger seat.

First time being pulled over while carrying and I have to say this female trooper did it right. Very courteous and even flashed a couple smiles. I kept my hands on the wheel and notified her right as she got to the window since she was going to see both of them anyways. She did remove my firearms while she ran my info but had them back to me in 4-5min now unloaded of course. I was a bit woried because I don't have my DL or CPL address updated since I have moved. She handed all my paperwork back and said slow the hell down and have a nice day. Thought it was a positive experience in dealing with a LEO

Yes I was a dumbass for speeding and got super lucky...it could have been a hell of a ticket

The cop had no right to remove the firearms from the vehicle.

She violated RCW 9.41.050
particularly this section:
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Email me if you want a PDF of the legal opinion from the AG to State Senator Kent Pullen written in 1987 about this issue.

Yeah you got lucky not getting a ticket. But next you are stopped under similar conditions may I suggest giving the officer, in addition to the usual items, some KY jelly. When you get screwed again it will not hurt as much.

Here is the link to file a complaint with WSP against the officer.
<broken link removed>

Here in WA the officer has the right to search the vehicle without probable cause for "office safety" during a traffic stop. This has been to the WA Supreme Court.
Refusing to surrender your weapons would sure raise my level of concern if I were an officer and doing a traffic stop.

I doubt that would make it past the USSC.

I usually keep my micro 9mm in my pocket and a full size .40 in the glove box, cop pulled me over and I hadn't shut the glove box when he came up, he asked me to shut it, I did, asked me if I had a CPL, I handed it to him with my license, end of discussion about firearms, from then on it was a normal traffic stop. Hillsboro PD btw, officer was very professional about it.

Since this is a heated thread and I don't want to be left out on it.... :)

When I FIRST got my CHL I was traveling home late with one light out in front and back. Passed a cop on the HWY and knew it was time to be pulled over. Was pulled over by a Hillsboro Officer and (cause I didn't know or whatever) showed my CHL and ODL BUT I wasn't carrying. Told the officer this...

He said..."Why not?" HUH!! I explained that I didn't need it tonight and said "Even though I am an officer I always carry mine because you never know when you WILL need it." And he suggested I carry at all time.

Lesson learned. Told me he was just making sure I wasn't drunk and wasn't there to write tickets for light out and to have a good night.

Great Officer! Had to share, thanks!

yes in Washington they have the unconstitutional right to search for "safety"... violates my fourth amendment. I love liberty.
How does a an officer know...? they don't. However this is still America therefore innocent till proven guilty. (speeding is not prof that I am a nut job wanting to kill people, it only means I have a lead foot.
When asked for my guns.. they don't get them. ( and yes I have been asked for them, and No I wouldn't give them!!) They do not have the right to take them unless the have just cause. And I wont them the have them just because they asked.

Just my nutty liberty loving thoughts..

Besides.. How do I know they are not a nut job wanting to kill me? about the same odds..

I have to admit I can find no law requiring you to turn over your pistol to a law officer in Washington state if pulled over on a traffic stop,so my previous post was in error. My personal opinion is that the LEO's are being shot with ever increasing frequency and I will turn over my weapon if it is requested. I would also explain that I feel he is in violation of my rights, but for safety will comply.First thing he doesn't know you and wants to be safe and go home at night. Co-operation goes a long way. If you refuse,which is your right, he will have to call a back-up, now we are raising the bar, the next LEO could probably be something like helping some one. Some people live for confrontation, so be it. So that is my opinion. Bill

My personal opinion is that the LEO's are being shot with ever increasing frequency

Your personal opinion is WRONG. There has never been a safer time in the history of professional law-enforcement to be a cop. In the last decade, felonious slayings have dropped to record lows. The FBI keeps very good record of this stuff, bro... get educated.

If the cop pulls your firearm during the stop, they are almost certainly running the serial numbers back at their car.

Shouldn't be a problem, if you were super cautious and have run the numbers on any private purchases for your own peace of mind. But now there's a record attaching that serial number to your name. That traffic stop is now digitized and as a professional systems engineer specializing in security, I can tell you that reasonable standards of data retention and purging are NOT being adhered to. Once it's in the system, they try to hang onto it forever.

IF (a big "IF") everything in the justice system and your life goes on track, and our government doesn't become ever-more intrusive into our lives, IF we never have another movement to try to confiscate personal firearms; then none of that matters.

IF.

Officers will be safer if the guns are just left alone.
The driver will be safer if the guns are just left alone.
The driver's rights will not be violated if the guns are just left alone.

If the officer determines (based on some evidence) that the situation is SO DANGEROUS that the driver needs to be separated from the weapons, then she had better be handcuffing the driver.

For officer safety, and for my safety, the gun stays holstered and will not be handled during the stop. I will REFUSE to handle a gun in the presence of the police ..... that is a great way to get shot.

I will not sacrifice my liberty over safety, especially false pretense of safety. (hell that's why we have TSA now)

If no one touches the gun... then there is no chance the gun will kill or hurt any one. Just leave it alone.

There was a comment about not complying will make it hard to "get out of the ticket". YOU messed up accept it. I've taken mine and payed them. I have never an angle to "get off" I am the one that screwed up.

I have to admit I can find no law requiring you to turn over your pistol to a law officer in Washington state if pulled over on a traffic stop,so my previous post was in error. My personal opinion is that the LEO's are being shot with ever increasing frequency and I will turn over my weapon if it is requested. I would also explain that I feel he is in violation of my rights, but for safety will comply.First thing he doesn't know you and wants to be safe and go home at night. Co-operation goes a long way. If you refuse,which is your right, he will have to call a back-up, now we are raising the bar, the next LEO could probably be something like helping some one. Some people live for confrontation, so be it. So that is my opinion. Bill

Here's my 2 cents. I retired 2006 with 32 yrs state service Highway Patrol/State Police - Sergeant, with 18 mths city pd before that and 4 yrs USAF Security Police before it all. And 9 1/2 yrs reserve and army nat'l guard MP time mixed in with the civiliian work. In addition to HR-218 carry, I also have a non-resident Washington CHP or CCW its called in California. First your CHP/CCW laws are a little bit looser that California. In California, first - your permit lists the firearms you are authorized to carry. Second - Calif law allows law enforcement officers to inspect any firearm they see in public to see if its loaded, with some exceptions. Again with some exceptions, if you refuse, the refusal is PC to arrest. But back to the permit. In contacts with off-duty Calif officers and out-of-state officers I never asked for their firearm. Same for CHP/CCW permit holders. Just asked where it was and to not reach for it unless you need to.

I ofter heard officers would say they would take the firearms away from a civilian CHP/CCW. Maybe an out-of-state officer. But none would take a firearm away from an off-duty Calif officer. I always asked how do your know which one is real? While there are at least 450+ LE agencies in Calif, all have their own format for id cards. Calif DOJ mandates the same CHP/CCW form be used by all.

Here's my 2 cents. I retired 2006 with 32 yrs state service Highway Patrol/State Police - Sergeant, with 18 mths city pd before that and 4 yrs USAF Security Police before it all. And 9 1/2 yrs reserve and army nat'l guard MP time mixed in with the civiliian work. In addition to HR-218 carry, I also have a non-resident Washington CHP or CCW its called in California. First your CHP/CCW laws are a little bit looser that California. In California, first - your permit lists the firearms you are authorized to carry. Second - Calif law allows law enforcement officers to inspect any firearm they see in public to see if its loaded, with some exceptions. Again with some exceptions, if you refuse, the refusal is PC to arrest. But back to the permit. In contacts with off-duty Calif officers and out-of-state officers I never asked for their firearm. Same for CHP/CCW permit holders. Just asked where it was and to not reach for it unless you need to.

I ofter heard officers would say they would take the firearms away from a civilian CHP/CCW. Maybe an out-of-state officer. But none would take a firearm away from an off-duty Calif officer. I always asked how do your know which one is real? While there are at least 450+ LE agencies in Calif, all have their own format for id cards. Calif DOJ mandates the same CHP/CCW form be used by all.

Do you wonder why we call it "Commiefornia"?

I wonder how's it relevant what silly labels you have for things surrounding you ?

I always refer to California as COMMIEMEXIFORNIA! I think it's more befitting, don't you? The silly labels, as you call them, properly and more effectively describe what and how we see certain things in our environment. Haven't you heard of the Sunshine State, or the Gold Rush State; see, you know exactly where I am talknig about and I don't even have to say it. That's what is so great about this country, we give everything a label. You gotta Love it! Peace Brother!

how would you deny an officer access to your firearms when approached?

I would thank the officer for their concern and inform them that unless they pulled me over for a firearms related crime, or suspicion of such a crime that they would not be allowed the unlawful search and seizure of my vehicle. I would then take it on the chin for the speeding ticket but be free of them pawing my legally owned and held guns.

Hell, I got busted, held but not charged or arrested, for shooting on (un-marked) prohibited land and they didn't run the serials on my guns. You did what you felt was courteous and right. I'd have told her, in the kindest of terms, to go climb a tree.

If you had just been smart and had everything concealed you would not had to even mention you were armed. In a vehicle on the street I never leave exposed firearms

If this thread encourages bkb to stay in Oregon I'm okay with this. Oregon drivers suck almost as badly as California drivers, and there's enough of you road pollutants in Washington as it is.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top