JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, it shows. It also pops up if you run the license plate and one of the registered owners has a permit. WA OR ID are the states that I know of that it works that way.

That is a bit of a concern, so now I have to worry about my wife or worse kids getting hassled for driving one of our cars because I carry? That is crap. Tie it to my license all you want, but really, every one of my vehicles is now flagged as armed, how are they going to manage that given I never provided any of my vehicle information and SS#'s are not tied to vehicles. So every vehicle registered to John smith is tagged as owned by a cpl holder? Seems like something that would give the police quite a few false flags and become ignored...

U.S. Constitution - Preamble

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

And the Founders clearly stated that we had the inalienable right to offer force if petition for lost liberties are rejected.. for this is tyranny

The cop had no right to remove the firearms from the vehicle.

She violated RCW 9.41.050
particularly this section:
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
Mark, I'm not sure you're reading that bold sentence correctly. It says nothing about the pistol not being able to be removed from the vehicle. All it says is that if the pistol is in the vehicle, then the licensee must also be in the vehicle (if the pistol is there, the person must be there). That's very different from saying that the pistol must/remain be there, or that the licensee can't be in the vehicle without the pistol / that the pistol can't leave the vehicle if the person is in it.

Since one of the guns was not on the OP's person, but was sitting loaded on the passenger seat, had the OP left the vehicle and left the gun in the car, he would have violated that section. In no way does the section prohibit the gun from leaving though.

Jeremy

what Darknight says above is correct

That is actually a bit concerning. So now I have to worry about my young son or wife if they get pulled over. Some young or overzealous cop over-reacts when they reach for glovebox, purse, and don't keep their hands on the wheel, etc. All because I have a CPL and my name is on the vehicle's registration. GREAT idea.

That is actually a bit concerning. So now I have to worry about my young son or wife if they get pulled over. Some young or overzealous cop over-reacts when they reach for glovebox, purse, and don't keep their hands on the wheel, etc. All because I have a CPL and my name is on the vehicle's registration. GREAT idea.

If your the one with the license and your not in the car, an officer may be a little more cautious, but they won't make contact with guns-a-blazin. They will usually just ask if there are any weapons in the vehicle or if you are armed, depending on the officer and the department. But, even if you were in the car, most are cautious but decent about it. Realize that cops will react to a perceived threat. You can do your part as a driver and keep your hands where they are in plain view and do not make any sudden moves and have your passengers do the same. I almost gaurantee that if you go digging in the glove box or under your seat, you will be coming out of the car at gun point. Again, depeding on where you are and the officer.

Here is what can happen when you don't follow the officers commands. The first one about James Jahar Perez is the most relavent.

http://www.portlandonline.com/auditor/index.cfm?a=399048&c=52199[/URL]

I do hope and believe you are correct about many officers, but we all know there are quite a few over zealous ones as well.

I am not concerned as much about myself, I made the choice to carry, read these and other forums to keep myself informed etc. I understand how I need to act since I carry at all times. While I may not disclose to the officer I am carrying I will act in a manner so as not to spook him/her if they do find out during the stop.

That is sort of my point, it is not normal for people to sit there hands on the wheel during an entire stop. Normal people will be reaching to the glove box for registration, into purse for ID, to pocket for wallet & ID.. So now my entire family has to change how they do things. Even anyone I may let borrow my vehicle, many do not know I own or Carry to begin with and I had planned to keep it that way as it is my right and I carry concealed.

Concealed is concealed, keep it secret keep it safe, 1st rule of concealed carry don't talk about concealed carry.

Yeah that guy was strung out on Coke, he could probably not understand the officers commands.

Having the government confiscate your firearms is doing it "right?"

I'm glad you were OK with the experience, but that's some crazy bullbubblegum. I pray to God I never get pulled over in that state.

Yeah, what the hell is that? She had no reason to take those and treat the OP like a criminal. I thought I left that retardation behind in MA.

You have a loaded gun within easy reach during a traffic stop in which the cop knows NOTHING about you. and you think removing those two gun for 5 minutes while she checks if you have warrants out is extreme? WTF is wrong with you?

Sounds to me like the cop did everything right and you are a problem in search of a solution.

I've been pulled over when carrying, but NOT with a gun on the seat next to me as the OP stated.

I was asked to keep my hands clearly in view, the cop had his hand on his weapon, and then thanked me for telling him, told me to watch my speed and left.

This is entirely within the scope of Terry. At the point of a traffic stop, if you inform him of a dangerous weapon, he's entitled to disarm you for the length of the stop.

The cop didn't hassle the op, didn't return the weapons disassembled, didn't detain him for any longer than necessary to determine he had no warrants. THIS IS WHAT WE WANT COPS TO DO.

If it had been a wanted felon with a fake ID and he later killed someone, you'd all want the cop's head.

Compare this to the crap we all get every time we board an aircraft. It's NOTHING. I have no problem if it happens to me. And no, I don't feel like moving to Russia, where they take your guns, demand a bribe and then take you to prison anyway for having a gun, permit or no.

Get some freaking perspective.

You have a loaded gun within easy reach during a traffic stop in which the cop knows NOTHING about you. and you think removing those two gun for 5 minutes while she checks if you have warrants out is extreme? WTF is wrong with you?

Sounds to me like the cop did everything right and you are a problem in search of a solution.

I do think she stepped out of line, yes. She can ask questions and verify that I'm within stated law for having them, but she has no right to physically confiscate them. Also, what is my liability of she takes one, and then has an ND with my gun? I have a feeling I'd get jammed up really hard.

I don't think the cop did everything right, personally. However, I disagree with letting people off on traffic infractions. Unless he had a bench warrant, or some real issue, she should have written the ticket, and kept her mitts off the firearms. Unless WA law has a reg that says a cop must take and check guns at all times when found.

Finally, it is unwise for her to assume that the guns she sees are the only ones.

I've been pulled over when carrying, but NOT with a gun on the seat next to me as the OP stated.

I was asked to keep my hands clearly in view, the cop had his hand on his weapon, and then thanked me for telling him, told me to watch my speed and left.

This is entirely within the scope of Terry. At the point of a traffic stop, if you inform him of a dangerous weapon, he's entitled to disarm you for the length of the stop.

The cop didn't hassle the op, didn't return the weapons disassembled, didn't detain him for any longer than necessary to determine he had no warrants. THIS IS WHAT WE WANT COPS TO DO.

If it had been a wanted felon with a fake ID and he later killed someone, you'd all want the cop's head.

Compare this to the crap we all get every time we board an aircraft. It's NOTHING. I have no problem if it happens to me. And no, I don't feel like moving to Russia, where they take your guns, demand a bribe and then take you to prison anyway for having a gun, permit or no.

Get some freaking perspective.

I bet you were the kid who raised his hand every time the teacher asked the class a question.

Well, no not really. If the ID passed muster just by looks, then either the cop is badly trained, an idiot or the ID was a really good "fake" (dmv inside job maybe even). If the cop ran the ID thru his computer/called it in and it passed, thats the fault of the system. Nevermind that the real fault lies with the murderer.

The kneejerk response to blame the cop is because we as a society have come to trust government and its agents too much for self-defense and rely on them too much to save the day. On top of that, we live in a society that says a 16 year old girl who looks and acts mature enough to get into a bar/club with a fake ID is not to blame for her own actions. The man she sleeps with is charged with statuatory rape despite the fact that she got past 1-2 checks in place that deal with fake IDs all the time and have liability, thus reason to take the issue seriously.

There's no point even engaging that moron. I don't humor what-if scenarios, and I sure as hell don't humor one-in-a-billion what-if scenarios. The assertion that we'd "all want his head" for not recognizing a fake ID is wrong, and nothing more than a red herring anyway.

I've had a very broad spectrum of police encounters while being a CHL holder.

The most recent one, the cop was following me hoping to get a DUI bust (3am, driving home from work). He lit me up after following me for three miles. After work, I keep my carry piece open, next to my seat belt buckle, since I'm so dirty/oily.

As he approached the window, I made sure to have my wallet and both hands up in the air, and I immediately told him I was carrying, pointed to where the gun was, and that I have a CHL. He didn't really care. He asked what else I had in the car (tons of ammo :D ), took my ID back to his car. I had completely forgot to ask him why he pulled me over. When he came back, he asked if I had been drinking, and told me that one of my license plate bulbs were out... On my way I went.

Another incident though, I get pulled over on what was probably the hottest day that I've experienced in Oregon, and I wasn't carrying because it was just uncomfortable with as much sweat I was producing. While sliding my ODL out of my wallet, the deputy saw my CHL, un-holstered his gun, and in a very angry tone "WHERE IS YOUR SIDEARM?".

He went back to his car, wrote a ticket with my name mis-spelled, and never showed up to court.

Been pulled over a number of times in my 40 years of driving and most often been treated with respect and courtesy. Sometimes my C.H.L. has even gotten me out of what looked to be a certain ticket. My worst experience was shooting N.F.A. stuff a little too close to city limits outside of Eugene Or. I was finally stopped on the freeway on my way home, detained for about an hour by a Eugene city cop in body armor and what appeared to be an HK 53 on a tactical sling. He confiscated the guns, took my paperwork, ran all the numbers and finally returned the guns and let me go. Later the next week the asst. dist attorney called my friend who owned the house we were shooting at. He wanted to cite us for shooting in an urban growth area. Gotta love Lane County

I've had a very broad spectrum of police encounters while being a CHL holder.

Another incident though, I get pulled over on what was probably the hottest day that I've experienced in Oregon, and I wasn't carrying because it was just uncomfortable with as much sweat I was producing. While sliding my ODL out of my wallet, the deputy saw my CHL, un-holstered his gun, and in a very angry tone "WHERE IS YOUR SIDEARM?".

He went back to his car, wrote a ticket with my name mis-spelled, and never showed up to court.

THAT one I would sure as heck have brought up, either in court where he did not show up, or in a registered letter to his Chief. completely out of line for him to do that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top