JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does the officer know right away he/she is dealing with a law abiding citizen ? I mean... law abiding citizens are supposed to abide by the speed limit laws, no ? ;)

Who cares? Do you have any idea what kind of statistics were talking about here? I did the math once- Any given cop making any given traffic stop in the country on any given day has something in the neighborhood of 1 in 4 BILLION odds of being killed by felonious violence. They can SHOVE their "officer safety."

Who cares? Do you have any idea what kind of statistics were talking about here? I did the math once- Any given cop making any given traffic stop in the country on any given day has something in the neighborhood of 1 in 4 BILLION odds of being killed by felonious violence. They can SHOVE their "officer safety."

It looks like you're saying it's okay for a few officers to get killed for your comfort while being in the wrong. Not sure many would agree with you :)

I just have to chime in here. In my opinion, if I'm an officer conducting a traffic stop I assume all citizens are armed, law abiding or not. An officer that takes your pistol back to their car and unloads it is no more "safe" than leaving it in the hands of the citizen. What about the pistol in your pocket or the one on your ankle that remain concealed that maybe you neglected to tell them about. I'm not quite sure what my point is but I think she just wanted to fondle your guns.

I just have to chime in here. In my opinion, if I'm an officer conducting a traffic stop I assume all citizens are armed, law abiding or not. An officer that takes your pistol back to their car and unloads it is no more "safe" than leaving it in the hands of the citizen. What about the pistol in your pocket or the one on your ankle that remain concealed that maybe you neglected to tell them about. I'm not quite sure what my point is but I think she just wanted to fondle your guns.

Yep. If they intend to harm you, they're not going to tell you they're armed, and if they give you the gun, they're gonna do it bullets-first.

I work early AM hours and have been pulled over twice in the last 6 months by Beaverton Police around 1am. Once changing lanes quickly as some kids on foot were getting rowdy on the sidewalk and I chose to avoid them in case they entered the road, another I turned on my headlights to go to work and there was only one. Both times I handed my Drivers Liscense and CHP at the same time, both times was asked if I was carrying and I said yes. I was told to leave the firearm where it was, I was not issued a citation and was thanked for disclosing my information about the firearm to them. Actually both times I had no idea what I was in for and what the attitude of the Cop might be, figured I'd be late for work but both were done within 5 minutes. Turned out much better than expected.

I think you all have great points on both sides. It's been my experience that if I just shut my mouth and try...try to cooperate, I get off a little easier.

That said,being from Tacoma and Lakewood,I would never let them see the firearm,or they would probably have the swat team on me.
Just make the gun invisible,WHEN DRIVING TOO FAST. I mean if you are in a hurry,put the damn guns away.
Some cops will be cool. Up here,most of them expect we are all carrying,while in the Puget Sound metropolis,some will freak.

And Grommit,I went in to change my address on my CPL a while back and they said no need.Only applies to your DL. Gotta have that updated within 30 days I believe

It looks like you're saying it's okay for a few officers to get killed for your comfort while being in the wrong. Not sure many would agree with you :)

How many officers get killed by an armed person, after being notified by said armed person that they are LEGALLY armed?
"Just to let you know sir, I'm carrying a .45 on my hip and I ain't goin back to jail...whatcha gonna do?"
Yeah, lets hassle the good guys and gals since the bad ones are so bad about telling you they are armed and about to kill you.

How many officers get killed by an armed person, after being notified by said armed person that they are LEGALLY armed?
"Just to let you know sir, I'm carrying a .45 on my hip and I ain't goin back to jail...whatcha gonna do?"
Yeah, lets hassle the good guys and gals since the bad ones are so bad about telling you they are armed and about to kill you.

What would prevent bad guys from playing this game of "notify the cop" ?

I think you all have great points on both sides. It's been my experience that if I just shut my mouth and try...try to cooperate, I get off a little easier.

That said,being from Tacoma and Lakewood,I would never let them see the firearm,or they would probably have the swat team on me.
Just make the gun invisible,WHEN DRIVING TOO FAST. I mean if you are in a hurry,put the damn guns away.
Some cops will be cool. Up here,most of them expect we are all carrying,while in the Puget Sound metropolis,some will freak.

And Grommit,I went in to change my address on my CPL a while back and they said no need.Only applies to your DL. Gotta have that updated within 30 days I believe

The bad thing was I wasn't in a hurry...just happens easy in the subaru especially coming down that grade-18 over was hugely excessive for me though. Normally my carry is tucked away and they will never know but I had jammed it between the seats after I got done shooting and after I got done pounding gravel roads I took my shoulder holster off as I didn't want people freaking out seeing a big revolver under my arm lol. Normally it's in a case in the trunk. Just an abnormal day for me having the guns out.

I just figured out tonight that I'm GTG on the CPL and changed my address tonight on the DL.

Yep. If they intend to harm you, they're not going to tell you they're armed, and if they give you the gun, they're gonna do it bullets-first.

This is the totally stupid part of taking the gun. I have had upwards of 5 guns in my car,when NOT going to any range.Just what I happened to have that day.(probably going to show off some where.Look at my new gun show off)
if I was the bad guy,would I tell the copper I had 5 loaded guns?
Or would I just decide to shoot him instead?

If a guy has the mind set to kill a LEO,there is nothing the cop can do to stop him at a traffic stop.If he comes to a window
He can walk up on any side he wants,look at anything he wants,ask for anything he wants. But if he comes to the side of the car,he is in range

Now he has put you at risk,if someone stops and wants to do harm to someone.

Here in WA the officer has the right to search the vehicle without probable cause for "office safety" during a traffic stop. This has been to the WA Supreme Court.
Refusing to surrender your weapons would sure raise my level of concern if I were an officer and doing a traffic stop.

You provide a link or it did not happen...I do not believe you.

May I add: If a person is stopped for criminal activity (a traffic stop is not criminal activity) the rules may change, but you show us all a link to a WA state supreme court decision that involves a "traffic" stop...not a "trafficing" stop.

Refusing to surrender your weapons would sure raise my level of concern if I were an officer and doing a traffic stop.

No, it wouldn't. Because 1, you're a member here and know damn well that there are thousands of civil-rights-reserving gun owners in your AO who are all law-abiding citizens who take great offense to the notion, and 2, you're an experienced cop who is totally unimpressed by pretty much anything anyone does, since you've encountered literally tens of thousands of people who all act differently and have their own tens of thousands of reasons for making any given decision, and none of them have ever resulted in your personal harm.

Someone posted this a month ago on a similar thread.Somebody in Gig Harbor speeding.

Really the reason it would raise your level of concern would be because you were an uninformed,anti gun LEO,not understanding that the guy with a CPL has had a back round check and probably knows the laws better than you.

Someone posted this a month ago on a similar thread.Somebody in Gig Harbor speeding.

Really the reason it would raise your level of concern would be because you were an uninformed,anti gun LEO,not understanding that the guy with a CPL has had a back round check and probably knows the laws better than you.

That's kind of why I posted this...somebody got nipped speeding on 16 and had issues with the trooper after they announced if I remember right.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top