JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
By WSP doing way too fast in a 55 coming off the hill coming from Bonney Lake. Just had been shooting and had my CC stuffed between the console and seat and a loaded .357 in a holster laying on the passenger seat.

First time being pulled over while carrying and I have to say this female trooper did it right. Very courteous and even flashed a couple smiles. I kept my hands on the wheel and notified her right as she got to the window since she was going to see both of them anyways. She did remove my firearms while she ran my info but had them back to me in 4-5min now unloaded of course. I was a bit woried because I don't have my DL or CPL address updated since I have moved. She handed all my paperwork back and said slow the hell down and have a nice day. Thought it was a positive experience in dealing with a LEO

Yes I was a dumbass for speeding and got super lucky...it could have been a hell of a ticket

By WSP doing way too fast in a 55 coming off the hill coming from Bonney Lake. Just had been shooting and had my CC stuffed between the console and seat and a loaded .357 in a holster laying on the passenger seat.

First time being pulled over while carrying and I have to say this female trooper did it right. Very curteous and even flashed a couple smiles. I kept my hands on the wheel and notified her right as she got to the window since she was going to see both of them anyways. She did remove my firearms while she ran my info but had them back to me in 4-5min now unloaded of course. I was a bit woried because I don't have my DL or CPL address updated since I have moved. She handed all my paperwork back and said slow the hell down and have a nice day. Thought it was a positive experience in dealing with a LEO

Yes I was a dumbass for speeding and got super lucky...it could have been a hell of a ticket

Having the government confiscate your firearms is doing it "right?"

I'm glad you were OK with the experience, but that's some crazy bullbubblegum. I pray to God I never get pulled over in that state.

Having the government confiscate your firearms is doing it "right?"

I'm glad you were OK with the experience, but that's some crazy bullbubblegum. I pray to God I never get pulled over in that state.

While I agree wholeheartedly...the LEO have to follow their protocol and the side of the road is not the place to make a stand against it. I'm not positive, but she could have caused me some grief since my address never got updated on my CPL

So did you exit the vehicle so she could get your gun or did she just ask you to hand them to her?

Just curious, as I have been pulled over several times and they have never asked to see my carry piece.

While I agree wholeheartedly...the LEO have to follow their protocol and the side of the road is not the place to make a stand against it. I'm not positive, but she could have caused me some grief since my address never got updated on my CPL

It's not protocol- it's officer discretion that's becoming a defacto protocol because nobody is freaking out about it.

So did you exit the vehicle so she could get your gun or did she just ask you to hand them to her?

Just curious, as I have been pulled over several times and they have never asked to see my carry piece.

I handed them to her through the passenger window. Asked if I could clear them and she said she would do it in her car. Normally I wouldn't annouce but with both being visible that wasn't a choice

First time being pulled over while carrying and I have to say this female trooper did it right. Very courteous and even flashed a couple smiles. I kept my hands on the wheel and notified her right as she got to the window since she was going to see both of them anyways. She did remove my firearms while she ran my info but had them back to me in 4-5min now unloaded of course. I was a bit woried because I don't have my DL or CPL address updated since I have moved. She handed all my paperwork back and said slow the hell down and have a nice day. Thought it was a positive experience in dealing with a LEO

Please move to Kommiefornia.

I have never been pulled over on the way home from shooting. My wife and I both OC, and CC when we got out shooting, and usually also have several long guns. I always unload the long guns after we are done, but the others are always loaded. I can only guess what an LEO whould say or do if they saw all the crap we drag along with us. I would hope he would just process my drivers license, and whatnot and not really try and bother with inspecting, and unloading all of the others. Crips, we would be there for awhile.

Please move to Kommiefornia.

No thanks

I have never been pulled over on the way home from shooting. My wife and I both OC, and CC when we got out shooting, and usually also have several long guns. I always unload the long guns after we are done, but the others are always loaded. I can only guess what an LEO whould say or do if they saw all the crap we drag along with us. I would hope he would just process my drivers license, and whatnot and not really try and bother with inspecting, and unloading all of the others. Crips, we would be there for awhile.

I had a trunk full of stuff

So for all the armchair QB's out there...how would you deny an officer access to your firearms when approached? Every story that I have heard hasn't turned out well when you start arguing with a cop

BKB000, I don't understand your rational, kinda scary. The "bubblegum" officer was doing the right thing and I am sure glad I live in Washington State. Please look and read carefully your responsibilities of carrying a fire arm when dealing with a LEO. Nuff said...

My roommate was stopped in lake Oswego, OR in a very similar situation. Rifle on the back seat, 38 spl on the drivers seat and an xd on his hip. The officer asked him for his weapon during the stop and he refused. He explained to the officer, that unless he had broken a law that warranted him being disarmed, it was his right to keep them. The officer called for back up, and ordered him to stay in the car with hands in the wheel. When the other ( I assume senior officer) arrived he again asked for his gun, and explained it was for officer safety. He again refused, and told the cops that he wanted his gun to feel safe the same way the cop wanted theirs. The end of the hour long ordeal resulted in no ticket, and a formal (via phone) apology from the LO police department to my friend. They said they would better educate thier officers on the carry laws in the future. Moral of the story is, read and know the laws and your rights and stand firm within them.

My WSP contact for speeding was handled like yours, handed the holstered pistol on the seat out the drivers window and got it back empty with loose rounds but I got the ticket. I think that was because of the radar detector on the dash. Threw it away after that.
I always like how people here huff and puff about how they would handle a situation they have never been in. Must have more time than most people.

BKB000, I don't understand your rational, kinda scary. The "bubblegum" officer was doing the right thing and I am sure glad I live in Washington State. Please look and read carefully your responsibilities of carrying a fire arm when dealing with a LEO.

How is taking peoples' guns away from them "the right thing?" There's no law that prevents it, in Washington, but just because she has the authority to do so does NOT make it "right."

Nuff said...

END THIS THREAD RIGHT NOW... SPAD HAS SPOKEN.

As to what to do about it - That's where my "pray to God I never get pulled over in that state" comment comes from. 'Cause you're absolutely right, it's NOT going to go well to refuse to surrender your sidearm to a cop armed with pepper spray, x26, firearm, and Motorola. I hope I never find out just how poorly that will go.

BTW Grommit I did not mean that as a critique of your actions, and had I not had a roommate that went through that I wouldn't have known anymore about it than you. But he had the balls and the knowledge, and it was a good reminder for me to learn more about my rights as a gun owner and carrier. TCOV you have a point, it's easy to be the Monday morning quarterback. I can't say for sure I would have done any different given an equal situation, but I think it's good to know your rights should you choose to exercise them.

Here in WA the officer has the right to search the vehicle without probable cause for "office safety" during a traffic stop. This has been to the WA Supreme Court.
Refusing to surrender your weapons would sure raise my level of concern if I were an officer and doing a traffic stop.

I usually keep my micro 9mm in my pocket and a full size .40 in the glove box, cop pulled me over and I hadn't shut the glove box when he came up, he asked me to shut it, I did, asked me if I had a CPL, I handed it to him with my license, end of discussion about firearms, from then on it was a normal traffic stop. Hillsboro PD btw, officer was very professional about it.

I usually keep my micro 9mm in my pocket and a full size .40 in the glove box, cop pulled me over and I hadn't shut the glove box when he came up, he asked me to shut it, I did, asked me if I had a CPL, I handed it to him with my license, end of discussion about firearms, from then on it was a normal traffic stop. Hillsboro PD btw, officer was very professional about it.

That's sounds like how it should work to me! Props to the hillsboro officer for handling it well.

How is taking peoples' guns away from them "the right thing?" There's no law that prevents it, in Washington, but just because she has the authority to do so does NOT make it "right."

Does the officer know right away he/she is dealing with a law abiding citizen ? I mean... law abiding citizens are supposed to abide by the speed limit laws, no ? ;)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top