JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Below is what I received. This guy doesn't say anything about being anti lead Bullets and that just … to put it it nicely, is lacking in transparency. I googled his name and this is a major issue of his.
Also, I can't figure out how I "opted" in.
Here is the email:

"Hello,
You are being offered an opportunity to participate in research because you are a hunter with a tag for buck deer in 2023, and you opted in to support research when you purchased your Oregon hunting license.

My name is Leland Brown, and I am a researcher on the project. Our team would like to invite you to participate in a survey that records the outcome of your big game harvest (e.g., a successful hunt). Gathering information on species, cartridge, range, and animal behavior is important to understand best practices for effectively and humanely harvesting wildlife. Currently, there is no consensus on "best practices" and increased knowledge will benefit both hunters and managers.

If you choose to participate in the survey, each entry will document the harvest of an individual animal (deer, elk, black bear, etc.). It is important to record the necessary data in the field during or as soon after the harvest as possible to make sure the data is as accurate. Please follow these steps to record your data:

1. Print and review the linked data sheet to familiarize yourself with the data to record in the field.
  2. Bring the data sheet on your hunt and record the data during and immediately after harvesting your big game animal.
  3. When back in service use the online survey data entry platform (link below) and follow the directions to submit the data online.
I realize that during the time you harvest an animal it can be very busy, and knowing the questions in advance will make the process easier. If you harvest more than one big game animal, restart a new data entry process for each individual animal using the link below or by using the link provided at the end of the data entry. Every individual animal will require a separate entry.

Enter your data

or use this link

www.bit.ly/AmmoPerformance

Filling out the survey should take no longer than 20 minutes and you will be entered to win one of fifty $100 gift cards for your time.

No record of your identity will be requested, and responses will be kept confidential.

Thank you again. Good luck in the field

Leland Brown
MS Student
Portland State University
[email protected]
971-284-4193" "
So there it is.
As far as transparency, his "project" is "Participate in research on bullet performance for harvesting deer, elk or other big game animals". Nothing about his anti-lead agenda. I wouldn't have as much question about this if he shared his major agenda up front.
I liked the part about "No consensus on best practices"?? Good luck, The Holy Grail!

Gdub

"Best practices"...

My projectile of choice for big game is a .530 lead round ball.
I can't say what the round ball looks like after hitting Antelope , deer , elk or black bear.
All have been clean , quick kills with the round ball being a complete pass through.

So "best practices" for me :
Be sure of my shot....
Double check my back stop / background of the animal.
Andy

There is already a thread on this with Leland himself chiming in
Yup!
This guy doesn't say anything about being anti lead Bullets and that just … to put it it nicely, is lacking in transparency. I googled his name and this is a major issue of his.
And you're correct. The guy absolutely and most definitely has an anti-lead agenda. In the other thread he tried downplaying it and explain it away with mumbo jumbo about his innocent motives of simple data collection to aide in their animal control efforts, but I call BS.

You don't do a study on predominately lead shooters about their best practices to apply it as practical ballistic and performance knowledge for strictly non-lead applications... such as he "claims".

He also seems to want us to believe that he has absolute control over how his data will be used... and he would clearly never use it to push lead ammo bans. As if... once his data is published he will have absolute control over how anyone else laying hands on it might choose to apply his research and conclusions??

I haven't looked in the mirror lately but I don't recall seeing "stoopid" tattooed across my forehead. 🤣

Where is this other thread? Can't find it.

Yup!

And you're correct. The guy absolutely and most definitely has an anti-lead agenda. In the other thread he tried downplaying it and explain it away with mumbo jumbo about his innocent motives of simple data collection to aide in their animal control efforts, but I call BS.

You don't do a study on predominately lead shooters about their best practices to apply it as practical ballistic and performance knowledge for strictly non-lead applications... such as he "claims".

He also seems to want us to believe that he has absolute control over how his data will be used... and he would clearly never use it to push lead ammo bans. As if... once his data is published he will have absolute control over how anyone else laying hands on it might choose to apply his research and conclusions??

I haven't looked in the mirror lately but I don't recall seeing "stoopid" tattooed across my forehead. 🤣

Did you finally get that removed? 😜

IMG_1603.jpeg

Got it, thanks!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA