JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have not paid attention to what the "nice authentic BHP" sell for now days since not sure which ones the OP defines as Authentic but, from what many older ones go for the new ones are far cheaper. Price on these is holding at 1K now. Early ones were going for twice that but now there seems to always be one for 1K in the buy it now. Of course buyer then has to add on shipping and transfer fee to that. I do have to laugh at the often repeated now that all of them have a problem. They are sending out a LOT of these. If all of them had the same problem sales would have all but stopped by now. I have to guess this makes some who want one now feel better? To tell everyone none of these are going to last :s0140:
Hey if it makes them sleep better no harm no foul. I can assure all MANY of these have already had many K rounds through them. I know when I buy one it will take all of maybe 2 range trips to be over 1 K since it will of course be FUN! When the buy it now gets down to around the MSRP it is going to get hard to not be heading to my shop to tell them one is coming in with my name on it :D

I searched the internet and found 2 instances of extractor problems. One was from a spring manufacturer/dealer and he mentioned the other person. Not finding a huge amount of failures. How many people are actually having issues? It would be nice if it came with 2 magazines instead of only one.

I searched the internet and found 2 instances of extractor problems. One was from a spring manufacturer/dealer and he mentioned the other person. Not finding a huge amount of failures. How many people are actually having issues?
I have read of a couple of them. So since thousands of these are going out the door as fast as they come off the line I am not worried. The normal thing with guns is the people who do not have a problem are seldom heard from. The few who get a problem are of course making noise. There is nothing mass manufactured that does not let a problem out the door now and then. Of course when someone gets the problem it does not make them feel better to know its rare. What I pay a LOT more attention to is what those who have issues find when they go to get it fixed. That says a LOT to me about a Co. Treat the customer well after you have their money and I am inclined to give them some of mine. :D

Just an FYI, original High Powers can still be had for around eight hundred to a thousand bucks if you look, but fancier models can be stupid high prices.

Just like 1911s, I have to wonder what "kinks" need to be worked out to make them reliable. I mean, they've only each been around for what….110 years and 86 years respectively. I can totally see how manufacturers need to work the bugs out and get their machining right to make good reliable offerings.

NR

We know the design works, so if there's bugs, it's QC, metallurgy, engineering or the bean counters. My money's on QC or the bean counters. I mean they could hand trace the freaking blueprints and get it right.

We know the design works, so if there's bugs, it's QC, metallurgy, engineering or the bean counters. My money's on QC or the bean counters. I mean they could hand trace the freaking blueprints and get it right.

Exactly. Any rationale about it being "new" and "kinks" to be worked out is utter BS.

Then again, 110 years and we rarely see a 1911 that doesn't need 1000 rounds of "break in" to function reliably. Imagine if other products were like that. Washing machines, lawn mowers and other tools needing a lengthy break in period to function properly and reliably. People would melt down. But with SOME guns/manufacturers people almost expect to file a warranty claim and are a-ok with that. Why do we accept products that don't work well and are so eager to buy one knowing that up front? Especially tools used to defend our lives??

Exactly. Any rationale about it being "new" and "kinks" to be worked out is utter BS.

Then again, 110 years and we rarely see a 1911 that doesn't need 1000 rounds of "break in" to function reliably. Imagine if other products were like that. Washing machines, lawn mowers and other tools needing a lengthy break in period to function properly and reliably. People would melt down. But with SOME guns/manufacturers people almost expect to file a warranty claim and are a-ok with that. Why do we accept products that don't work well and are so eager to buy one knowing that up front? Especially tools used to defend our lives??
4-stroke outboards have a lengthy break in period and then require $300 in service to verify the break-in was done properly.

The 1911 is one of "those things" I guess. I have been a 1911 fanboy for over 50 years even though I say all the time its a very old design and there have been FAR better come up with. I do expect any new ones I buy to work from day one now and if they would not after a couple hundred I would be starting to get pissed off. Modern manufacturing has come a LONG way in making the old design FAR easier to clone in mass. You are right though that any home appliance would NEVER be allowed to have the same kind of failure rate and stay in business. Still just something about the 1911 that has people willing to tinker with them till they get them to work sometimes. Its why I have long said if I had to run into a shop to grab a gun to use I could not test I would NOT head for the 1911's. I would be looking to grab a Glock. Still don't want to own one though :oops::D

The 1911 is one of "those things" I guess. I have been a 1911 fanboy for over 50 years even though I say all the time its a very old design and there have been FAR better come up with. I do expect any new ones I buy to work from day one now and if they would not after a couple hundred I would be starting to get pissed off. Modern manufacturing has come a LONG way in making the old design FAR easier to clone in mass. You are right though that any home appliance would NEVER be allowed to have the same kind of failure rate and stay in business. Still just something about the 1911 that has people willing to tinker with them till they get them to work sometimes. Its why I have long said if I had to run into a shop to grab a gun to use I could not test I would NOT head for the 1911's. I would be looking to grab a Glock. Still don't want to own one though :oops::D

I love a nice 1911 too. Haha I'm one of them!

Glock is one of the only guns I'd buy, clean and lube, fill magazines and be totally ok competing with it. After the match, where I'd likely experience no issues, load with carry ammo and then carry it.

I have wanted a HP since the early Paleolithic. Maybe I'll get one when they work the bugs out.

"We know the design works, so if there's bugs, it's QC, metallurgy, engineering or the bean counters."
QC does not yield a conforming product. Quality is built in, not inspected in. Actually making a quality product involves having control over your processes, which has nothing to do with how old the design is.

I have wanted a HP since the early Paleolithic. Maybe I'll get one when they work the bugs out.

"We know the design works, so if there's bugs, it's QC, metallurgy, engineering or the bean counters."
QC does not yield a conforming product. Quality is built in, not inspected in. Actually making a quality product involves having control over your processes, which has nothing to do with how old the design is.
Almost every large producer has at one time tried to "cut corners" and paid a high price for this. QA was the one that really bit them. The QA guys are the buffer to tell them when the process is not working. Its always a temptation when someone new takes over to try to make the product faster and cheaper. Often they would then also cut back on the QA checks and soon way too many "problems" were getting out the door. Deming was a lesson in this. When he first tried to sell his idea to industry here many of them were not interested. Those who were smart enough to listen to what the man was saying soon gained a real advantage. The big auto makers were a great example of ignoring him to their own regret when Japan was glad to listen to what he had to say.

If you have your processes right, there will be very few non conformences for QC to find.
Re Deming: A prophet is without honor in his own land.
YEP! The "problems" always start when someone, normally someone new or newly promoted, says "we can make this faster and so make more profit. They of course can but, whats the old line, if it ain't broke don't fix it". Things are humming along just fine, so here comes someone, normally very smart, just ask them and they will make sure you know how smart. Tells them they can use the same process but go faster or such. Then when a LOT of problems are out the door? You now have a LOT of pissed off customers. Colt seemed to need to learn this a few times for some reason. Making guns they had made since long before I was born but some moron would tell them "we can do it cheaper" and in more quantity. I got one of their 70 Series 1911's like this one time from one of their times deciding they could do better, on a pistol they had been making for a hell of a long time. They made that one so well I would not buy anything they had their name on for a long time :mad:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews