JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Was it Pot, Beer, Hash, Whisky Mushrooms, LSD ???????????????
Where did this originate ?? ROFLMAO
Must have been one hell of a party....................

I like reading these threads when they come up. And it's so true what Etrain16 said, you don't have to read a thread if you don't want to.

I wish I had the ability to offer less for an item, I just don't. If the price looks right to me I'll pay it because I've done some research and I really want/need the item. If I've got something up for sale, I've done my research and I'm not willing to go much lower...

I may ignore a person offering something like $450.00 on a $600.00 gun, figure the guy's trying to be funny, or hoping I'm an idiot and I'll say OK.

It goes both ways. You should be mature and smart enough not to offer someone $600 for a rifle they are asking $2000 for
Providing the $2000 is relative 'fair' market value. While I agree it goes both ways I believe the greater burden of responsibility to REDUCE the low ball offers lies with the seller to ensure his asking price within reason and fair. Even THEN he may still receive low ball offers but at least if the asking price is at a fair market value these low ball offers are easy to discount as truly non-interested buyers. Along with the responsibility of fair pricing I firmly believe (and have rationalized this in similar posts before) the SELLER also carries the burden of maintaining greater self control in dealing with low ball or other unfair offers. There are far MORE trolls and 'tire kickers' who seriously get some sort of perverse pleasure by 'poking sellers' with a stick' just to see what kind of response they get. Regardless of the nature of the deal, be it a simple 'for sale' post on the forum or the biggest retailer people are MUCH more receptive to a SELLER who responds with a friendly and respectful 'No Thanks' as opposed some of the responses I have read about. The bottom line is there are far FEWER buyers than sellers so the seller is for the most part at a disadvantage - unless the item is so desirable, rare or popular that there are in effect people 'lined' up to buy it but that is the exception rather than the rule.

I have vast experience (thousands of presentations) in the art of buying an selling - and I know that what is considered a low starting point, by some people, in price negotiations, might just translate to "sold" on my first offer, with others.

You may have vast experience in one method of negotiation, but this does not mean that it is the only way. There are dozens of systems or ways of buying and selling. Prequalification of the buyer and situation will eliminate a lot of unneeded juggling by both sides. An educated buyer will have done their research on the proper price of the item in question and know what they are going to pay.

Seeing that item at twice the price you are willing to pay or what you believe the market will support, and then engaging that seller in a negotiation process, is a waste of both your times. Telling the seller that the item in question is priced outside of the range I am prepared to pay, and I that I respect your process, and could not make you an offer that you would find acceptable. This may end that exchange or the seller may want to engage in some additional posturing to find your range.

A good seller will attempt to engage in a sales process that yields a mutual acceptable resolution for both sides. If that is the intent and focus going in, the process will have a solid foundation to proceed on.

Do you have an unwarranted sense of entitlement, such that you think I somehow owe you the "respect" of making an offer that falls within your boundaries of what is acceptable? Well then, you need to provide me with your slanted psych profile before you post an item for sale!

With one side of the process starting and proceeding with an adversarial outlook, the chances for a mutually satisfactory result are pretty much nil, regardless of price positioning.

I sold capital construction equipment to a defined recurring number of customers ( 400) each year. These pieces were 20K on the low end to packages of 1M or more. Our manufacturer realize the need for specific selling skills and process, based upon a continual relationship basis, and hired some nationally known talent to create a system and process to effect this. The psychology side of sales process is as important as the mechanical and personal side, and will determine how both sides will achieve their respective goals.

No doubt that if I have to sell to someone on a recurring basis you will have a different process than if you are trying to sell them a one time sale, but the same basic principles of sales psychology and customer relationships will apply.

A good seller will attempt to engage in a sales process that yields a mutual acceptable resolution for both sides. If that is the intent and focus going in, the process will have a solid foundation to proceed on.
Prophetic - one of the best 'baseline' statements I have ever read - Anyone and Everyone selling anything needs to read and heed - including myself even though I consider myself an 'experienced' seller/Horsetrader/wheeler-dealer etc.

A good seller in my opinion is one who gets what he wants, not what others want to give him. Most of the hustlers are buying for resale, they want to profit on your loss. I try to not get into a position I need to sell something, there are always sharks out there to take advantage of your bad position.

I buy for a fair price if I want a new toy but try to get a good deal in case I don't want it later. I do know a good deal when I see it and will not hesitate to give the seller what he wants:D

I always assumed they did read the ad, but chose to ignore the trade list. I had one recently for some lighting. That was a first. I politely declined. My ad did say at the time "no trades, cash only". I think some folks just like to cast a broad net in the hopes they might get one person to bite.

What if it were a carpeted guitar? :p
Now a carpeted guitar may have peaked my interest!

Now, since this topic is up again, I'm all too happy to offer my 2 cents for consideration. My personal view is this, if I have an item listed and someone makes an offer, especially a low-ball offer, I don't get offended, I will politely tell them I'm not interested. If they want to offer something higher, we can talk. When I'm the buyer, I do try to avoid low-balling the seller.

This is my take on it as well. Nothing we or anyone can do will prevent low-ball offers, and it's been that way long before the internet.

You may have vast experience in one method of negotiation, but this does not mean that it is the only way. There are dozens of systems or ways of buying and selling. Prequalification of the buyer and situation will eliminate a lot of unneeded juggling by both sides. An educated buyer will have done their research on the proper price of the item in question and know what they are going to pay.

Seeing that item at twice the price you are willing to pay or what you believe the market will support, and then engaging that seller in a negotiation process, is a waste of both your times. Telling the seller that the item in question is priced outside of the range I am prepared to pay, and I that I respect your process, and could not make you an offer that you would find acceptable. This may end that exchange or the seller may want to engage in some additional posturing to find your range.

With one side of the process starting and proceeding with an adversarial outlook, the chances for a mutually satisfactory result are pretty much nil, regardless of price positioning.

I sold capital construction equipment to a defined recurring number of customers ( 400) each year. These pieces were 20K on the low end to packages of 1M or more. Our manufacturer realize the need for specific selling skills and process, based upon a continual relationship basis, and hired some nationally known talent to create a system and process to effect this. The psychology side of sales process is as important as the mechanical and personal side, and will determine how both sides will achieve their respective goals.

No doubt that if I have to sell to someone on a recurring basis you will have a different process than if you are trying to sell them a one time sale, but the same basic principles of sales psychology and customer relationships will apply.

Some good info and I concur with much of it.

I too have some "experience" I worked for a large Industrial hardware shop in Seattle and was the Surplus division manager. I was both the buyer and responsible for a group of salesman (as well as the head salesman) I have bought and sold millions of dollars worth of goods, most being less than $1000, probably only a few percent of my transactions exceeded $5000. What I am getting at is a LOT of transactions. It was not uncommon for me to make 50 sales in a day. All of it surplus or used equipment that most people haggled on the price. I also bought on average of $50,000 a month worth of used and surplus gear. I understand the art of the deal. I am also painfully aware that the vast majority of people who think they know how to negotiate are clueless.

Most end up making it worse on themselves by trying to play some sort of game that they think will net them a better price. If a person is making a honest good faith effort to negotiate I will work with them, If they try to play some power trip deal or make threats of taking their business elsewhere I would simply say. "Ok, well good luck, hope you find what your looking for" (not in a snide way, but honestly wishing them good luck and ending the negotiation ) Probably 8 times out of 10 they have to backpedal and say "Oh, no I actually want to buy yours" and now all of a sudden the tables have turned and I control the deal. They are there talking to me because they have a need for the item. If you want to make the best deal you must always be willing to walk away. Does not matter if your buying or selling. I have got a lot of great deals when haggling in person by simply nicely saying "Ok, well thanks for your time" and walking off. All of a sudden those hard nose sells are saying "Wait, lets talk" the the tables turn. You dont make threats, you simply walk away. Threats dont work and are always counter productive

You cant be in love with what your buying or selling. That is the single biggest issue with firearms transactions. Sellers often need to sell, but dont want to, Or the want to sell, but dont need to. Often both of those situations end up sellers who price there items so it wont sell. It might even be unconscious. If your a buyer, you cant be in love with the item your buying. You have to be rational and educated in your pursuit of the item. One thing I know is if your making money buying and selling things you always make the money buying the item, never on selling it. If you dont buy it right you have tied up your money in such a way that it is next to impossible to come out ahead. No amount of selling expertise's is going to make up for buying an item wrong, but if your a good, educated buyer, you dont even need to be a good seller to make money.

There are also pretty simple ways to weed out the guys who are are buyers, but not at a price your willing to sell for with out making them mad. No one wins if you make the other person angry, especially if your in the business of selling things. The last thing you want is to make a potential customer mad, even if you never sell them anything. I have had guys who 90% of the time would walk away from a transaction, yet 10% of the time I would still manage to sell them something where we where both happy.

I could go on (and on) but need to get to the shop.

You cant be in love with what your buying or selling. That is the single biggest issue with firearms transactions. Sellers often need to sell, but dont want to, Or the want to sell, but dont need to. Often both of those situations end up sellers who price there items so it wont sell. It might even be unconscious. If your a buyer, you cant be in love with the item your buying. You have to be rational and educated in your pursuit of the item. One thing I know is if your making money buying and selling things you always make the money buying the item, never on selling it. If you dont buy it right you have tied up your money in such a way that it is next to impossible to come out ahead. No amount of selling expertise's is going to make up for buying an item wrong, but if your a good, educated buyer, you dont even need to be a good seller to make money.

+1 If you are a buyer and you just 'have' to have the item, you run a better risk of paying more than you should. If you're the seller and list in a panic because you need to move that item now, you run the risk of getting away with less. You're right that people get emotionally attached, and that is a downfall. All you have to do is look at the buying/selling frenzy right after SH. People happily paying $600 for a stock 10/22? $700 AR's going for $1,500 with no negotiating? Fear, obsession, panic, love, they can all cost you in the end.

You guys should be really happy with the OP for starting a thread with words that moved so many to reply. Now I understand why he call himself the Supreme Commander, he even got the boss out to make a reply. Good work OP and great thread.:D

So living in a van for a firearms enthusiast would present some real theft concerns. No matter how skookum your safe is secured they can always just steal the van.
Its on cinderblocks in a scrap yard..
Im covered. Darn kids stole my 10" blingin (factory stock) rims..
And I have no firearms anymore, I lost them in that boating accident last manuary.

The whole buying and selling of guns, is like buying and selling cars.
If you don't like the price, don't do the deal.
If you're insulted, get over it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top