JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I said make your offer in a PM (conversation) directly to the one who started the ad and not on the post itself. Clearly you did not comprehend or even read) what I said....:rolleyes:
You do know what a conversation here is don't you?

Just for this thread....
image.jpg

I love the people who ask "what's your bottom dollar"

Seriously. I'm not here bidding against myself. So I'll repeat my price that I had listed OR I'll jack it up a few bucks because of their ignorance.

Last Edited:
And another obliviot meets Mr. Ignore Button....

We are becoming good friends, I am happy to return to guessing between the lines, when I read comments back to invisible people!!!!!

Ahhh, satisfaction, Or Best Offer?, nope...FIRM.

philip :rolleyes:

Just spoke with a dude online that showed me a Craigslist ad he posted...

The gist of the situation was that someone backed out of a deal for a sale without notice, so to get back at him- he posted the guy's phone number with a pic of a chick stating that her husband was out of town for the week and wanted nude photos texted to her.

Funny stuff...

Ouch.....

By the way "Or Best Offer" has got me a lot of great deals, but I am sure not in the way you think. I have scored a lot of really great deals by offering MORE than the asking price. I one time bought a Bridgeport Milling machine for $300, The listing was for $200 or best offer. I also one time bought three large Wilton vises for $300, listing was $250 or best offer. I sold the largest of the three for $800 and kept the other two. I know for a fact in both of those cases I would have not got the deal if I would not have offered more.

If something is super cheap and you know there are going to be lots of folks clamoring to buy it by offering just a bit over the asking price you will make yourself stand out and most likely be the person they contact first.. If someone has priced something for half or less than what you think its actually worth offering just a bit more makes it no less a deal and you have a lot better chance of owning it.

In a courtroom, Facts usually always trump opinions. Opinions are hearsay, unless they are backed up by facts from a professional giving expert testimony in his field of expertise, as it relates to the dispute, Or the plaintiff presents solid evidence that his position is biased in fact, such as - Tangible facts like a link showing the for sale items fair market value in a retail setting. If someone exposes the truth about a fair market value in a listing - are they not doing a public service!

Some People here maintain that this forum has a duty to be fair and promote honesty, integrity, truth, Family values, and helping your fellow man/neighbor.

It's my opinion that I have the right to illustrate to a seller that his opinion as it relates to the value of his item for sale, may be faulty. The seller, in return, has the right to stand his ground, but should not be offended by facts.

Embracing an ideology of anything less is just turning a blind eye to a hustle. I can see no honor in that. Do we prey on those who have not done there own market research? And when they purchase an item for more than it's worth - trust is betrayed ............... isn't another heart prone to become more jaded & cynical. If everyone was a cynic, the world would be a sorry place. No Joy, No Trust, Just shoot them all and let God sort it out?

I agree with a lot of this. There was recently a gun for sale here for 2200.00 that I Knew of a grade higher for sale brand new for 1600. I would have loved to tell the potential buyer of the huge savings or even polity let seller know the market has went soft on it and he'd have to information to do with as he pleased from there. I just didn't want to see good folk here overpay by enough to buy another nice firearm. Lots and lots of guns are sold on forums without the buyer posting on the thread.

I've bought, sold and traded in the last 3 or so years here. All have gone well and both parties walked away happy. Trades seem to be the hardest deals to work out. But that is another topic. I've bought stuff over at the AKFlies as well. And I'm a member at the Marlin Owner's forum. Never bought anything there but lusted over a few guns.

Anyway, guys on gun forums tend to know what guns are worth. Any questions just search complete auctions at Gunbroker.com. Pretty easy. Price your gun right and if it is a popular gun it will sell pretty quick. Not so popular or common guns may take a while to sell. Overprice it and it will set for a while, maybe a long while.

Guys selling guns want to get as much as they can, within reason for the guns they sell. Some guys want to get back close to what they have in the gun or package but that's another topic as well. Guys buying a gun want to get a good deal. So between the two, buyer & seller we work out a deal that both are happy with.

This all works pretty good and most people are happy. But then we have the two groups that don't want to play this way, the lurkers & lowballers. The lurkers hang around the market place and grab all the good deals. Again another topic. The lowballers want to buy for way under market value. We all know we can take ours guns to the local gun store and get 70% of market value.

These two groups are not liked by most regulars on gun forums. The regulars are trying to buy, sell & trade around market value. A lot of guys have bought, sold and traded this way for years and years. They are not interested in selling for 70% or they would take thier gun to the LGS. Can't say why everyone would get offended by a lowball offer but some see it as a waste of thier time. But the fact is guys do get offended by lowball offers.

OP, don't know if you are a lowballer or not. Maybe you just like to haggle. But the internet doesn't work very well for haggling. That's why we have auction sites like eBay & Gunbroker but no haggling sites. And if you think the guys here are not polite about what they may see as a lowball offer try making some low offers on a forum like the AKFiles. I'll leave it at that.

Sorry for any typos, need coffee. And you can sub any word you like for "regulars". I couldn't think of a better word, needing coffee like I do.

If an OBO seller get's weird and disrespectful over my initial offer - It leads me to wonder about the true condition of the used item for sale? People that are disrespectful to me in there social interaction, are more likely to treat there possessions in a disrespectful way also - I have seen this first hand many times.

That is exactly opposite of what I would think. Somebody who is emotionally involved enough to get upset probably cares a great deal about what ever it is, enough he took it personal when you "insulted" him

Respect in a deal is earned, not handed out.

Sugar catches more flies than vinegar.

It's always nice to start out a conversation without blasting somebody with a balls deep low offer. It sets somebody back on their heels and you will have a hard time convincing them from that point that your offer is valid.

Just recently I had an AR for sale, by payments. Clearly stated that there WOULD be interest and you could pay it off early if you wanted to and avoid the extra interest. Somehow an $1100 gun, at $300/month over 6 months pissed some people off because they didn't think it was worth $1800. They were right, it was an $1100 gun and the interest on me holding it for 6 months without using it was the extra amount.

Reasonable people start conversations with real thought, not knee jerk blown nut testosterone comments of "I'm right, you're wrong, listen to me because I'm right". Best responses are "I'm interested in xyz, curious how you came up with the numbers you have listed, is there something I'm overlooking". That's polite, and if they go HULK on you then they don't want your $$.

Simple really. FTF etiquette should extend to the online realm, when it doesn't you are an arsehole (probably in real life and on the net).

Reasonable people start conversations with real thought, not knee jerk blown nut testosterone comments of "I'm right, you're wrong, listen to me because I'm right". Best responses are "I'm interested in xyz, curious how you came up with the numbers you have listed, is there something I'm overlooking". That's polite, and if they go HULK on you then they don't want your $$.
As long as you do it via the private messaging system here. I believe one could receive a "thread crapping warning" from the forum mod if a comment were to move much further than "Wow, your brick of .22 for $75 is an amazing deal..I wish I had $75 right now...GLWS!"

As long as you do it via the private messaging system here. I believe one could receive a "thread crapping warning" from the forum mod if a comment were to move much further than "Wow, your brick of .22 for $75 is an amazing deal..I wish I had $75 right now...GLWS!"

Personally I feel SOME threads NEED to be crapped on! However, I've been good at resisting the urge.

Having conducted countless CL deals, I do some research and ask what I think is a fair price for an item. Sometimes firm means firm. I also consider ahead of time how much I'd end up pocketing if I ultimately accepted 10-15% less depending on a number of factors:

- What are other sellers asking/getting for the same/similar items?
- How many offers have I received?
- Have I tried to sell it before with no luck?
- Do I like or dislike the individual?

Instantaneous dislike is for rude people and unresponsive flakes. Or when I'm selling (for instance) a kayak at a fair price of $350 and I get a blind response like "I giv u 100 take it r leve it." I've seen that tactic so many times with vehicles, boats, instruments and weapons that I'm amazed when it doesn't happen! Often it's the same @ssjacket over and over again. I indulge myself an instantaneous flash of irritation, and then it's over. I ignore them and move on.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top