JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OZ-IT, a Slovenia-based startup, has introduced an AI-powered home surveillance system that will actively open fire on potential intruders with paintballs. Called PaintCam Eve, the autonomous property monitoring device will use facial recognition and motion detection to guard against supposed intruders. The device will also be also capable of firing tear gas rounds with "ultra-high precision".

a10132d5391c6573cf68acf11affcfc048f0defbf0a3e9dfe2c61ca790aa5ae5_1.jpg

So who gets in trouble when this shoot someone it shouldn't? The company or the property owner who bought and installed the device (I think we all know how this is going to work no no points for guessing correctly)?

I am also super curious how this is going to fall into all the boobytrap laws. Last I check even something as benign as rigging a pepper spray can to a door was a felony boobytrap device.

This seems to be a case of technology simultaneously being way ahead of and way behind the law.

I cannot find any indication this is actually on the market yet, are we taking bets on if that actually happens?

So who gets in trouble when this shoot someone it shouldn't? The company or the property owner who bought and installed the device (I think we all know how this is going to work no no points for guessing correctly)?

I am also super curious how this is going to fall into all the boobytrap laws. Last I check even something as benign as rigging a pepper spray can to a door was a felony boobytrap device.

This seems to be a case of technology simultaneously being way ahead of and way behind the law.

I cannot find any indication this is actually on the market yet, are we taking bets on if that actually happens?

You could easily set it to identify threats and target them, then wait for human approval. Walk up to the door and see a muzzle point itself at you. Is it real, or is it Memorex? :) You'll know by the sound.

You could easily set it to identify threats and target them, then wait for human approval. Walk up to the door and see a muzzle point itself at you. Is it real, or is it Memorex? :) You'll know by the sound.
That would be significantly less useful;

<get a ping that your security system has ID'd an issue>
<whip out phone and log into system>
<watch porch pirate walking away with your package, well out of range of the turret>

Putting a human in the loop entirely defeats the purpose of having the automation. Might as well have a camera system with "smart alert" (or whatever they are calling the ID technology they are using) and a manually controlled turret.

Um, be sure to tell all the relatives DO NOT EVER ASK POLICE TO DO WELFARE CHECK AT OUR ADDRESS!!!

Otherwise . . . can you imagine coming home from a spontaneous weekend trip, only to find the mobile command post positioned out front, SWAT deployed, and a bullhorn demanding,
"Throw out your weapons and come out with your hands raised!"
Followed, of course, by your AI device announcing authoritatively,
"Zero Tolerance! Zero Tolerance! You have 5 seconds to clear the area."

That would be significantly less useful;

<get a ping that your security system has ID'd an issue>
<whip out phone and log into system>
<watch porch pirate walking away with your package, well out of range of the turret>

Putting a human in the loop entirely defeats the purpose of having the automation. Might as well have a camera system with "smart alert" (or whatever they are calling the ID technology they are using) and a manually controlled turret.
Um, be sure to tell all the relatives DO NOT EVER ASK POLICE TO DO WELFARE CHECK AT OUR ADDRESS!!!

Otherwise . . . can you imagine coming home from a spontaneous weekend trip, only to find the mobile command post positioned out front, SWAT deployed, and a bullhorn demanding,
"Throw out your weapons and come out with your hands raised!"
Followed, of course, by your AI device announcing authoritatively,
"Zero Tolerance! Zero Tolerance! You have 5 seconds to clear the area."

YOU HAVE TWENTY SECONDS TO COMPLY
R.gif

I AM NOW AUTHORIZED TO USE PHYSICAL FORCE
View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=acdABwYJqks

A flame-throwing robot dog that can shoot blazes up to 30 feet (9 meters) is up for sale in the United States.

Throwflame, the manufacturer, claims the robot dog is the first of its kind and has a battery that can last for an hour.

The quadruped robot dog is armed with the company's ARC Flamethrower and is available for $9,420.

Thermonator: Operations and control
flth-ezgif.com-resize.png

In places not prone to wildfires, a flamethrowing "sprinkler" turret system to control noxious weeds, vermin and possibly bugs...?

And getting yard ready for rainy season/new grass... "just torching the dead grass for the summer. Why? Oh, i have signs up, not my problem if porch pirate came at the same time as the grass torchers"

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top