JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We run women-only training. We've wrestled with the 1639 training issue. The #1 biggest problem right now is there is no mechanism for us to certify completion, and therefore no way for dealers to verify completion before the sale. The 2nd biggest problem is there are no specific guidelines for curricula. Any class delivered right now cannot be certified. And any class delivered right now might be invalidated the moment guidance is released.

And worse, if legislators never quite get around to producing guidance, all the gun owners here will, in essence, be prohibited from buying guns. And dealers are going to have huge holes in their cash flow.

We run women-only training. We've wrestled with the 1639 training issue. The #1 biggest problem right now is there is no mechanism for us to certify completion, and therefore no way for dealers to verify completion before the sale. The 2nd biggest problem is there are no specific guidelines for curricula. Any class delivered right now cannot be certified. And any class delivered right now might be invalidated the moment guidance is released.

And worse, if legislators never quite get around to producing guidance, all the gun owners here will, in essence, be prohibited from buying guns. And dealers are going to have huge holes in their cash flow.

So I think the question is if there is no mechanism in place by the time that training requirement goes into effect, how will any dealers follow the guidelines?

I assume they are either going to either ignore it or suspend selling firearms subject to the law until the state infrastructure is put in place (hah).

I would think if it was the latter and otherwise legal firearms sales in the state were suspended due to the state lacking infrastructure that would be grounds for a lawsuit.

I would think if it was the latter and otherwise legal firearms sales in the state were suspended due to the state lacking infrastructure that would be grounds for a lawsuit.

I certainly hope so. Because that may be the only way anyone can buy after July 1. It is all well and good for Sheriffs to say they won't comply right now, but we'll see what that means after July 1 w/o the mechanism to certify compliance.

So if an FFL places a copy of the buyer's training certificate in the file, and the training certificate lists the required topics, who is to say the training requirement was not complied with?

Not to thread jack, but I read the advertisement from the link and it states "anyone who wants to purchase a semiautomatic rifle"

Is 1639 limited to semiauto rifles only? That was not my understanding.

The training portion pertains only to semi-automatic rifles, correct.

I'll have to reread it to tell for sure.

Completed lowers are not rifles they are "other"

So... buy a AR lower and upper separate and you're in the clear? Unlikely, but that would be a nice hiccup in their plans.

I'll have to reread it to tell for sure.

Completed lowers are not rifles they are "other"

So... buy a AR lower and upper separate and you're in the clear? Unlikely, but that would be a nice hiccup in their plans.

A lower is transferred as "other" and not subjected to the semi-auto (assault weapon) definitions in the law.

And yes that is a nice gap. I verified with several FFLs. There is some irony that the one rifle most targeted by this inane law most easily circumvents it.

Here is the initiative link:

https://www.sos.wa.gov/_assets/elections/initiatives/finaltext_1531.pdf

And the relevant section:

(2) In addition to the other requirements of this chapter, no
dealer may deliver a semiautomatic assault rifle to the purchaser
thereof until:

(a) The purchaser provides proof that he or she has completed a
recognized firearm safety training program within the last five
years that, at a minimum, includes instruction on:
(i) Basic firearms safety rules;
(ii) Firearms and children, including secure gun storage and
talking to children about gun safety;
(iii) Firearms and suicide prevention;
(iv) Secure gun storage to prevent unauthorized access and use;
(v) Safe handling of firearms; and
(vi) State and federal firearms laws, including prohibited
firearms transfers.
The training must be sponsored by a federal, state, county, or
municipal law enforcement agency, a college or university, a
nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms
training, or a firearms training school with instructors certified
by a nationally recognized organization that customarily offers
firearms training. The proof of training shall be in the form of a
certification that states under the penalty of perjury the training
included the minimum requirements; and
(b) The dealer is notified in writing by (i) the chief of police
or the sheriff of the jurisdiction in which the purchaser resides
that the purchaser is eligible to possess a firearm under
RCW 9.41.040 and that the application to purchase is approved by the
chief of police or sheriff; or (ii) the state that the purchaser is
eligible to possess a firearm under RCW 9.41.040, as provided in
subsection (3)(b) of this section; or
(c) The requirements or time periods in RCW 9.41.092 have been
satisfied.

So you can see the training requirement pertains to their definition of assault rifle only, and that basically is defined as a any semi-automatic rifle.

Their definition:

(25) "Semiautomatic assault rifle" means any rifle which
utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract
the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round, and which
requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge.
"Semiautomatic assault rifle" does not include antique firearms,
any firearm that has been made permanently inoperable, or any
firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide
action.

Based on section 25 above that would not include smooth bore shotguns because they are not rifles. Look at 9.41.010:

(22) "Rifle" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews