JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
LE, or approval from anyone else isn't needed to give a familiarization and safety class. If someone would like to teach an accredited course that meets the Oregon CHL requirements, he would need to meet the requirements for a CHL instructor. The complete criterion for a 114 compliant course do not exist at this time. The framers imply, but do not specify or require that the legislature will develop those specifications.

As long as someone isn't teaching toward some type of certification, the only thing needed is a place to give the class and students. If you're going to make it a business, some type of certification will most likely get you more credibility. I would recommend NRA certification or certification from some other recognized organization. I would think that range RO certification would be a good first step. You can attend safety courses at many clubs and I would think that would give you a good starting point.

I applaud your efforts to educate others that many not be comfortable in a setting where the don't fully understand English. The CHL course is a good start, but it only covers the Oregon CHL requirements, and not necessarily comprehensive firearms safety.
Wow đź‘Ś
Thank you so much for all your knowledge and support.

The closest gun club to you is Four Corners Rod & Gun Club. Since much training occurs at gun clubs, you might want to talk to them about attending their courses to get you up to speed. I also highly recommend reaching out to Adam at Coat of Arms gun shop in Keizer. He is heavily involved in training and may prove to be a great source of information or even a mentor.
Thank you so much, I will reach out to him and hopefully gain from his experience and insights.

I just got off the phone with an instructor friend, and here is what he told me.
If you are looking to 'certify' people, for concealed carry or something of that nature, you need to be certified first. For that, you will need an NRA certification, which is a bit of a process in itself. Additionally, as an instructor, pretty much of any nature and especially if you are doing this for pay / compensation, you will need insurance. Depending on where you are doing the training, you may also need to either establish a business entity like an LLC, and/or be directly associated with a club or facility, who may have additional requirements.
Something you should also know; If you are just going out in the toolies (lIke the BLM or National Grasslands / National Forest) and showing /helping someone as a friend that is okay. But if you are charging for the instruction, you need approval and insurance. To do otherwise and get caught, the fines can be quite hefty.

Oregon Start a business guide:

Depending on where you are doing the training, you may also need to either establish a business entity like an LLC,
OP - See pg 26 of above guide.

Something you should also know; If you are just going out in the toolies (lIke the BLM or National Grasslands / National Forest) and showing /helping someone as a friend that is okay. But if you are charging for the instruction, you need approval and insurance. To do otherwise and get caught, the fines can be quite hefty.
OP - were you thinking of doing live fire training, or just classroom instruction on familiarization and safety?

Make use of government resources, such as the Small Business Assistance Team. Give them a call any time you have a question. In general, state employees are overpaid and underworked. So make them earn it. We should get something for all of our taxes. ;)

Maybe try these guiys:

Small Business Development Center

Last Edited:
I just got off the phone with an instructor friend, and here is what he told me.
If you are looking to 'certify' people, for concealed carry or something of that nature, you need to be certified first. For that, you will need an NRA certification, which is a bit of a process in itself. Additionally, as an instructor, pretty much of any nature and especially if you are doing this for pay / compensation, you will need insurance. Depending on where you are doing the training, you may also need to either establish a business entity like an LLC, and/or be directly associated with a club or facility, who may have additional requirements.
Excellent, this is great information! Thank you so much.

Hello everyone, my name is James Paredes-Bravo. I am attempting to gain some insight on the legality behind offering and charging for a weapons Familiarization class in the State of Oregon. I wish to educate and introduce safe weapons handling to the Salem/Keizer community, with a special focus on the Spanish speaking, (Hispanic/Latino) community. I am Bilingual with 6+ years of military experience and training with firearms.

I wish to know of any steps required by the state of Oregon to accomplish this goal. Any information you can provide is welcomed and highly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your time and all your knowledge.
Set yourself up as an LLC to protect your personal assets in case you ever get sued for anything you said as an instructor.

Probably if you used trainer "blue guns" would be safest route. Actual firearm loaning is an issue:
Under Federal law, an individual may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he/she does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law.

Just do like Saiga308 does and do it on YouTube. Thanks to him I learned how to shoot at plastic plates at 118 yards.
Too funny

B319B021-A988-488B-A5C1-090061866762.png

In Oregon, due to the passing of SB554 back in 2021, you cannot loan or rent a firearm to anyone unless you are there with them. Otherwise it is considered a 'transfer', and then you also need a background check and it has to be done through an FFL.

Get an LLC business license.

Get NRA certification.

Get instructor insurance.

Get more training for yourself from those who are experts in the field.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top