JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I - 1639 is about as useful as used toilet paper.

It will however make it more difficult for the law abiding gun owner to purchase a semi automatic rifle.
Andy

If I was being less than excellent to others I might claim that those who failed to vote against that initiative, but claim to value their freedoms, are equally useful.

If I was being less than excellent to others I might claim that those who failed to vote against that initiative, but claim to value their freedoms, are equally useful.
I hear that! I often have to really work at it to not be "mean" to shooters who just keep their head in the sand and only seem to notice anything about "law" when it finally hits them. Then they of course are mad.
The year the new Federal law went in making ALL gun sales go through the BGC was a great example. That first Christmas the poor staff at places like Wally and K-Marts and such had to listen to angry people. Would walk in to buy a .22 for someone for Christmas and find out they could not just pay and walk out the door with that new rifle. Store had to call the BGC line and get an OK. If the line was busy or the customer got a delayed, the buyer was mad and shocked. They had no idea this law went it. Well here we go again here in WA. People who still "just found out" you can't sell a gun to someone any more without a dealer, or that you can't just walk in and buy a .22 rifle that is semi like the old stanby Marlin's or Ruger's. When laws were going in, and when they were being fought these people could care less and had no clue. When they find out many of them first thing out of their mouth is "Where was the NRA?" Who they of course are not a member of:s0054:

The WA bill was lengthy enough that lazy voters neglected to take the time to read the dozen
pages or so and using their brain. Instead, they relied on fast food information from sound
bites, short web links etc. I swear, it was like gun owners in the state demonstrated ADD or
something rather than using reading and critical thinking skills.

Well, the opposition tactics worked...to a T, giving us one of the most restrictive laws with
respect to semi-automatic firearms in the entire nation.

"The WA bill was lengthy enough that lazy voters neglected to take the time to read the dozen
pages or so and using their brain. Instead, they relied on fast food information from sound
bites, short web links etc. I swear, it was like gun owners in the state demonstrated ADD or
something rather than using reading and critical thinking skills. "

The law going in was one thing, what bothers me more is Sporting Systems owner put in a butt load of time and money to put the law up in front of the voters again. To give gun owners a chance at a do over. The vast majority of the gun owners could not be bothered to sign the petition. A LOT of those same gun owners blame this on "we are outnumbered" so we can't win:s0054:

These sort of threads constantly popping up 2 years after the fact really display how much some people paid attention when it could have been defeated at the ballot box.

"oh, it will never affect me."...until it does.

I just went through this crap last week .. don't forget you have to have a firearms training cert. to buy simi auto also . I did not know this when I met the seller .. but there is a on line course you can do in a short amount of time . (Sporting Systems.com # free I-1639 Training Course ) the cert can be emailed and or printed . a must have if you want to buy a 22 or an AR ... Then it seems the 10 days starts after Feds clear you from back ground check ! So 17 days total before I can pickup the AR.. So after all this lesson learned .. For the record I did vote against 1639

My semi automatic rifles are not assault weapons because I purchased them before I-1639 and did not agree that they were assault weapons in order to buy them. Any semi auto rifle purchased after the implementation of that law implies agreement with the statute. :(

I know this affects me but I already have a few weapons so I can wait even though I voted no on 1639. It became really clear when people that thought they were safe now have rioters in their area and no gun to protect themselves. Hopefully they have signed up for a basic gun safety class and can hopefully shoot a few 100 rounds though their weapons. But you can do dry firing as well to get used to all of the features of your weapon. I buy a few dummy rounds as well and practice my failure drills at home.

I have a few empty magazines with dummy rounds and leave my loaded magazines in a different room so I don't have any issues mistaking a dummy rounds with a loaded magazine. Although my .223 rounds have a real brass case but orange bullet tips that are rubbers. I also have other dummy rounds and other are red plastic only but they do cycle in my weapon for dry firing.

I know this affects me but I already have a few weapons so I can wait even though I voted no on 1639. It became really clear when people that thought they were safe now have rioters in their area and no gun to protect themselves. Hopefully they have signed up for a basic gun safety class and can hopefully shoot a few 100 rounds though their weapons. But you can do dry firing as well to get used to all of the features of your weapon. I buy a few dummy rounds as well and practice my failure drills at home.

I have a few empty magazines with dummy rounds and leave my loaded magazines in a different room so I don't have any issues mistaking a dummy rounds with a loaded magazine. Although my .223 rounds have a real brass case but orange bullet tips that are rubbers. I also have other dummy rounds and other are red plastic only but they do cycle in my weapon for dry firing.

I never bought into that separate room nonsense. I'm not sure what level of intelligence some people meander through life with, but it seems more than rudimentary to look at a gun, check it, make sure there aren't live rounds in it, and proceed with practice. I can easily live on the "wild side" and have live rounds and a empty mag or dummy rounds in a mag in front of me, and not put the live rounds in the gun until I intentionally mean too.

I never bought into that separate room nonsense. I'm not sure what level of intelligence some people meander through life with, but it seems more than rudimentary to look at a gun, check it, make sure there aren't live rounds in it, and proceed with practice. I can easily live on the "wild side" and have live rounds and a empty mag or dummy rounds in a mag in front of me, and not put the live rounds in the gun until I intentionally mean too.
You would think that but it doesn't work that way. Every year, the closest hotel to, well I won't name the gun school, but they have a TV shot by someone dry firing. One thing I tell my students, in addition to the usual safe direction speech, is before you begin dry firing anywhere but the range, check the gun and tell yourself out loud "This is practice, this is practice, this is practice". When you are done and are reloading the gun, tell yourself "This is real, this is real, this is real". I don't remember who I learned this from but I think it's very important. I've witnessed an ND from dryfire and it's not fun. Pretty loud too. Fortunately no one was hurt other than hearing damage.

You would think that but it doesn't work that way. Every year, the closest hotel to, well I won't name the gun school, but they have a TV shot by someone dry firing. One thing I tell my students, in addition to the usual safe direction speech, is before you begin dry firing anywhere but the range, check the gun and tell yourself out loud "This is practice, this is practice, this is practice". When you are done and are reloading the gun, tell yourself "This is real, this is real, this is real". I don't remember who I learned this from but I think it's very important. I've witnessed an ND from dryfire and it's not fun. Pretty loud too. Fortunately no one was hurt other than hearing damage.
Massad Ayoob said something like that. I bought a dry-fire magazine so I can use it in my Glock 19,23,32,& 45. Worth the $100

In one of Mass A's books he retells a story like this. Class he was showing people how to check the timing of a wheel gun. Empty gun, hold gentle pressure against the cylinder with thumb while slowly squeezing the trigger. When the hammer falls see if the cylinder still turns any more and you hear the click of the hand locking in. Since the hand should have locked in before the hammer fell. So at break in class one student goes out to car, gets his wheel gun out of glove box to try this. He forgot step #1 and touches off a round. :confused::confused::confused::confused::s0092::eek::eek:

In one of Mass A's books he retells a story like this. Class he was showing people how to check the timing of a wheel gun. Empty gun, hold gentle pressure against the cylinder with thumb while slowly squeezing the trigger. When the hammer falls see if the cylinder still turns any more and you hear the click of the hand locking in. Since the hand should have locked in before the hammer fell. So at break in class one student goes out to car, gets his wheel gun out of glove box to try this. He forgot step #1 and touches off a round. :confused::confused::confused::confused::s0092::eek::eek:

"The WA bill was lengthy enough that lazy voters neglected to take the time to read the dozen
something rather than using reading and critical thinking skills. "

The law going in was one thing, what bothers me more is Sporting Systems owner put in a butt load of time and money to put the law up in front of the voters again. To give gun owners a chance at a do over. The vast majority of the gun owners could not be bothered to sign the petition. A LOT of those same gun owners blame this on "we are outnumbered" so we can't win:s0054:
Grrr!:mad:
You are so damn right. These people prefer excuses instead of action and then whine when they see the results of their laziness/stupidity/ignorance.

All that means is there are some idiots paying to learn about guns. Money and common sense, I've found, have nothing to do with each other.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top