JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Initiative 1491 would allow family members and law enforcement to petition a judge to temporarily suspend a person's access to firearms if the court finds that he is a threat to himself or others.

The "extreme-risk protection orders," modeled after domestic violence restraining orders, would require a court hearing and due process protections to remove guns from a person in crisis.

The citizen sponsor of Washington state ballot Initiative 1491 believes her son and daughter would still be alive if "extreme-risk protection orders" had been legal two years ago.

I-1491 would allow temporary suspension of firearms access

It absolutely amazes me that they can really convince people that it is a good idea instead of terrifying, to give the government the power to nullify constitutionally protected rights for individuals who have not been convicted of any crime (1491 and the push for people on the no fly list to be prohibited).

If someone is to dangerous to own a gun, then they are to dangerous to be in public.

Didn't the Legislature allow for 3-day non-voluntary commits just last year?

Another pointless law. People cried about the need for restraining orders and we still have people killing people while they have restraining orders, imagine that. Unless the government plans on having two cops watching every person all the time, the nanny state can't really legislate behavior. A person bent on killing is going to kill, regardless of your "order". They will still get firearms, regardless of your laws and they can kill even without one.

Furthermore, I still don't see how this is any different than just a restraining order. To get either you really need to have some evidence of the problems and danger. Both result in the same thing. At least it requires a judge for now. Soon it will be the average beat cop who gets to decide.

Voters in Washington State Give Judges Power to Violate Gun Owners' Due Process

A Resounding Vote Against Due Process and the Second Amendment
"Like a California law that took effect last January, the gun control initiative that Washington voters overwhelmingly approved on Tuesday authorizes court orders that deprive people of the right to arms without due process. In fact, Initiative 1491, which was backed by Gov. Jay Inslee and attracted support from 71 percent of voters, is even less respectful of due process and the Second Amendment."

Last Edited:
The National Rifle Association's Institute for Legislative Action urged members, their family and friends to vote "no" on I-1491 in November.

The group behind the initiative, the Alliance for Gun Responsibility, had raised almost $3.6 million for the campaign, according to state disclosure reports.

NRA actions - Sent out an email alert
Anti-Gunners - 3.6 million dollar campaign

Another example of how the NRA has abandoned the West Coast.

The National Rifle Association's Institute for Legislative Action urged members, their family and friends to vote "no" on I-1491 in November.

The group behind the initiative, the Alliance for Gun Responsibility, had raised almost $3.6 million for the campaign, according to state disclosure reports.

NRA actions - Sent out an email alert
Anti-Gunners - 3.6 million dollar campaign

Another example of how the NRA has abandoned the West Coast.
Got to remember, the NRA works on a more nationwide level rather then a local one. Plus, the anti's have billionaires behind them, we only have us.

No, the NRA works to collect money to fund the NRA. They are no better than the union shills that work in Salem.
The NRA does not have a magic wand. What would you have them do in a state like this? The problems in states like WA, OR, and CA is mostly gun owners. Gun owners who either can't be bothered to vote, or are too busy fighting with each other. If "their" perfect candidate does not make it they wont vote. They use terms like "high ground" and "selling out" to justify letting more liberals get elected. Then when stuff like this happens they are quick to blame everyone else.
With the right kind of legislature you can beat back stupid initiatives. When around half of the gun owners will not vote they get the Government they deserve.

I almost wonder if that Bonney Lake incident wasn't a False Flag *meant* to push voters toward this heap of crap because *whine*"we HAVE to DO SOMETHING!"...
I wouldn't doubt it.... First thing that pops into my head when I hear something like that or the Roseburg shooting is false flag or some left wing nut job trying to gin up support for stricter gun control....

The NRA COULD run ads that SHOW how laws like this will be abused and the loss of due process based on a vindictive ex or family members or neighbors word.
Get more proactive rather than reactive after the fact.

Brutus Out

The NRA COULD run ads that SHOW how laws like this will be abused and the loss of due process based on a vindictive ex or family members or neighbors word.

Brutus Out
IF Wayne's Wanking Wonks could learn to actually Sound Off Like They HAD A Pair Between 'Em, that is...

Brutus Out
You really think the people who vote for laws like this will listen to ANYTHING? That's like saying those people in the street rioting over the election would listen to an ad. They have their mind washed and made up. This is how liberals get elected. They make a huge mess. Then run on the platform that they are going to fix the mess they made. These same people vote for them again. Unless we can get control of the public schools it's becoming a lost cause.

You really think the people who vote for laws like this will listen to ANYTHING? That's like saying those people in the street rioting over the election would listen to an ad. They have their mind washed and made up. This is how liberals get elected. They make a huge mess. Then run on the platform that they are going to fix the mess they made. These same people vote for them again. Unless we can get control of the public schools it's becoming a lost cause.
And here in WA that means breaking the WEA and their black-robed whores on the state Supreme Court.

YES it does. It needs to start with gun owners learning to vote first. If 95% of us voted in our own interest we would really has some power. Sadly we do not.
It's like if we had an organization that supported our views with public messaging in order to educate and rally voters we could change views and laws... I can tell you from personal experience the "Grass Roots" coordinator for Oregon is completely worthless. She has no interest in helping in ANYTHING in the state of Oregon unless you've already won so she can swoop in and take credit.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews