JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last Edited:
Nope. My T2 Water Resistance Level: Waterproof. :D

Screenshot_20230402_192219_DuckDuckGo.jpg

No love for the tried and true acog? Good, they are horrible optics… if anyone has one or ten I'll make that sacrifice and take them off your hands.

I went with the Romeo Sig Sauer SOR52102 Romeo5 XDR Compact Red Sight 2 MOA Dot with 65MOA Circle.
Uses AA batteries, Dot or Circle Dot reticle and motion activated. Get a quality pair of flip up back up sights.
I like Yankee Hill Machine flip up sights.
1700325716583.png
1700325859898.png

I dont have a scope or sight on my AR-15. I found this on sale and I'm not sure if this is recommendable?

VORTEX OPTICS SPARC II Red Dot

View attachment 1764886
Same thing sold under a gazillion brand names. Nothing at all special about the name vortex or sig etc. it's Chinese made and you can find the same thing for 1/3 the price if you look around. Doesn't compete with high end US made of course. I have similar vortex and Chinese brand and they are identical except for exterior look. Same holds true for many mini/pistol red dots.

Same thing sold under a gazillion brand names. Nothing at all special about the name vortex or sig etc. it's Chinese made and you can find the same thing for 1/3 the price if you look around. Doesn't compete with high end US made of course. I have similar vortex and Chinese brand and they are identical except for exterior look. Same holds true for many mini/pistol red dots.
Okay great advise. So should I just move along and find a better one?
I just figure I should get one. I been using my other AR-15/22 with the 22LR and its built in traditional sight. I think I fired almost 6000 rounds on that and I'm getting good and "tired" in the sticks and stones. I wanna spend more time firing the 5.56 instead.
Which one would you think I should look at for the PSA rifle?
Thanks...

1700328437845.jpeg
I wanna stay away from made in china.... :s0124:
1700328824351.jpeg

Last Edited:
See that little American flag? Guess what that means. You got it, "made in China".

But it says, "designed in oregon". That means they worked with the factory who is already making them for sig, vortex, primary arms, and lord knows how many others and tweaked the look and button look etc to make it "their own product". You yourself could call the same factory and make your own brand if you meet their minimum order requirements.
8A84E77D-7579-4139-96F3-91D437211882.jpeg

Last Edited:
Okay great advise. So should I just move along and find a better one?
I just figure I should get one. I been using my other AR-15/22 with the 22LR and its built in traditional sight. I think I fired almost 6000 rounds on that and I'm getting good and "tired" in the sticks and stones. I wanna spend more time firing the 5.56 instead.
Which one would you think I should look at for the PSA rifle?
Thanks...

View attachment 1764951
I would say look at your intended use first (Fe range vs "go to war" tough) and then what type of optic you want (Fe red dot, Lpvo, prism, etc). If your are talking predominantly range use then Chinese primary arms or swampfox Lpvo is plenty good enough Imo and many of the Chinese red dots (but research first as there are of course junk ones out there). I have swampfox, primary arms, vortex, sig, and several Chinese brand red dots, lpvos, scopes, and they all have worked without fail (don't buy cheapest Amazon ones without researching first cuz some are excellent and some are garbage and price point means nothing).

An extreme example just for the sake of illustration is the $12 Amazon red dot that I have used a ton on rapid fire 12 gauge (which beats the crap out of red dots) and it still works fine and holds zero.

My suggestion is do your research for any red dot/Lpvo/prism/scope and if you need a go to war optic then go aimpoint or similar high end US made.

Last Edited:
I would say look at your intended use first (Fe range vs "go to war" tough) and then what type of optic you want (Fe red dot, Lpvo, prism, etc). If your are talking predominantly range use then Chinese primary arms or swampfox Lpvo is plenty good enough Imo and really any of the Chinese red dots (but research first as there are of course junk ones out there). I have swampfox, primary arms, vortex, sig, and several Chinese brand red dots, lpvos, scopes, and they all have worked without fail (don't buy cheapest Amazon ones without researching first cuz some are excellent and some are garbage and price point means nothing).

An extreme example just for the sake of illustration is the $12 Amazon red dot that I have used a ton on rapid fire 12 gauge (which beats the crap out of red dots) and it still works fine and holds zero.

My suggestion is do your research for any red dot/Lpvo/prism/scope and if you need a go to war optic then go aimpoint or similar high end US made.
OK great and thanks..

Yes, I was guilty of adding a whole lot of accessories on an AR with quad rails because of the tactical cool factor. Until I started shooting regularly in an indoor range and on a bench. I took off my sling, flashlight/laser, and foregrip. Just a simple quick connect bi-pod and red dot or scope and I'm good to go.

Yes, I was guilty of adding a whole lot of accessories on an AR with quad rails because of the tactical cool factor. Until I started shooting regularly in an indoor range and on a bench. I took off my sling, flashlight/laser, and foregrip. Just a simple quick connect bi-pod and red dot or scope and I'm good to go.
Totally agree keeping it simple is hard to beat. I do like a 1-8x Lpvo though which can be used just like a red dot or really zoom in for longer range or for precision shooting. Drawback of course is weight and size. For most purposes and shorter ranges I love a regular red dot. Lpvos are fun though and give the best of both worlds, red dot and scope, at the cost of weight and size.

Some Lpvo discussion here fwiw:

Fwiw Post #64 here is about the swampfox 1-8x Lpvo which I really like. Red center functions just like a normal red dot and true 1:1. Glass is clear and bright. I believe this and many of the swampfox offerings are identical to their primary arms counterparts (ie made in the same factory) except for cosmetics and the reticle.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top