JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I remember right you dont have to have the hunter safety card to get a license in OR. But to hunt with your license, tag, or validation you have to have one until you are 18. My dad teaches these classes so I got it drilled into me up until I got married.
You're right! However it is always a good idea to receive the training, it's free and it makes me feel safer knowing that the other people in the woods aren't going to shoot at me. Plus, it's the right, responsible thing to do. Whatever you do don't go to Cabelas and ask them stuff, they don't know. Your best bet is to find someone who's been doing it a while, the Fish and Wildlife departments host lots of free training event, I've been to ones for waterfowl, turkey and upland hunting. Not only do they give you good info, a lot of times they key you in to the best places to go. Don't worry about thinking you need to know everything right off the bat either, it takes lots of time and experience to get good. Just be willing to ask for help and advice, you'll hear some great stories too! In my years in the woods I've found it's the old dude with the vintage model 70 who knows the most.
If i'm at all wrong quote me and correct me! I'm here to learn too!
Thanks all!
BCOR

You're right! However it is always a good idea to receive the training, it's free and it makes me feel safer knowing that the other people in the woods aren't going to shoot at me. Plus, it's the right, responsible thing to do. Whatever you do don't go to Cabelas and ask them stuff, they don't know. Your best bet is to find someone who's been doing it a while, the Fish and Wildlife departments host lots of free training event, I've been to ones for waterfowl, turkey and upland hunting. Not only do they give you good info, a lot of times they key you in to the best places to go. Don't worry about thinking you need to know everything right off the bat either, it takes lots of time and experience to get good. Just be willing to ask for help and advice, you'll hear some great stories too! In my years in the woods I've found it's the old dude with the vintage model 70 who knows the most.
If i'm at all wrong quote me and correct me! I'm here to learn too!
Thanks all!
BCOR

It is a VERY good idea as you t a lot of useful(and some not so) info that has definitely helped me.

Hi there. I know plenty about guns but nothing about hunting. I want to learn to hunt. Doesn't really matter what. I'm coming from the Beaverton area and would like to travel as little as possible.

Where should I start? There seems to be a lot of information online about how to get a permit and what seasons they are good for, etc, but where does one actually find prey around here?

They best way to learn to hunt is to target the predators. They are the most wary of all prey and as by far the hardest to bag. Elk, deer, bear etc have nothing on a coyote when it comes to survival instincts. And the best part about coyotes is that most of the time they are running so you should by all means hunt with one of these:

This way they cant get away! And also remember that the 100 round drum is important to get the whole pack as the coyote runs amok in numbers. Since I have added these options to my ar 15 it has really upped my kill numbers. It is really simple, just drive around until you see them and then bail out and open fire.. Great times! I hope this helps?

They best way to learn to hunt is to target the predators. They are the most wary of all prey and as by far the hardest to bag. Elk, deer, bear etc have nothing on a coyote when it comes to survival instincts. And the best part about coyotes is that most of the time they are running so you should by all means hunt with one of these:

This way they cant get away! And also remember that the 100 round drum is important to get the whole pack as the coyote runs amok in numbers. Since I have added these options to my ar 15 it has really upped my kill numbers. It is really simple, just drive around until you see them and then bail out and open fire.. Great times! I hope this helps?

Where is the dislike button?o_O

Lol, ...what? I am just trying to help this guy out here.. Now after you get this down with coyotes, then you get a 308 and go bumpfire the whitetails. Wont that thing be a hit at elk camp? Lol

Sarcasm isn't really helpful; hopefully it was sarcasm cuz the alternative is fairly demeaning.

I hope this the right place to ask this. I will be using a .30-06 for elk hunting this coming fall, and wondered what over the counter ammo you guys recommend (I don't reload). Kind of confused with all the choices and bullet weights. Will be in Coast Range so don't figure on any long shots.

I hope this the right place to ask this. I will be using a .30-06 for elk hunting this coming fall, and wondered what over the counter ammo you guys recommend (I don't reload). Kind of confused with all the choices and bullet weights. Will be in Coast Range so don't figure on any long shots.
I like 180 grsin Envheder silver tip.

Old Thread / Sticky ...
That said...Lately there have been a lot of threads / posts on basic questions on hunting and shooting so with that in mind....

Practice , practice with a purpose.
Use the rifle* , sights and ammo that you plan to hunt with , when you practice.
Practice off the bench , using a sling as a rest , your ruck or a tree limb as rest , Off hand no rest , keeling , sitting , prone....remember there are no benches in the hunting field...

When scouting for game , take your rifle...see how it feels after you have walked a few miles...
If safe to do so...Take a "hunting shot" for practice. By that I mean see if you can hit that odd colored rock or leaf , shell casing , at hunting ranges , take one shot only....in the lighting conditions and terrain that you expect to hunt in...
( Again only if safe to do so...)

Take the time to really get to know your rifle...try to make all of your actions with it , like second nature or muscle memory...

Asking questions , reading books and articles , watching videos are all well good , and I do recommend doing so... but to my mind there is nothing like experience and practice...
Get out and try what you have read , heard , watched...see what works for you , for how and where you hunt....

Learn all you can 'bout the animal you want to hunt...study the critter in wild during the off season...
Again get out there and learn then practice what you learn....

Being a good hunter takes practice and experience....you can not buy skill.
The only way to get skill is by practice...
We owe it to the animals we hunt to be the best hunters that we can be.
Andy
* Or shotgun , bow , spear , rock , whatever....:D

Hi there. I know plenty about guns but nothing about hunting. I want to learn to hunt. Doesn't really matter what. I'm coming from the Beaverton area and would like to travel as little as possible.

Where should I start? There seems to be a lot of information online about how to get a permit and what seasons they are good for, etc, but where does one actually find prey around here?

Just befriend a seasoned hunter who consistently brings meat to his table, and the rest should fall into place.

Just don't go hunting with my cousin. He took a guy out into the woods, showed him where the tree stand was, and said "I'll be back later". Went back to his truck and fell asleep. When he went back to the tree stand in the wee hours, the poor man was certain he'd been left out there to die.

Ill resurrect this thread -
I really want to get myself and my sons into hunting. I went deer hunting a few times as a kid with uncles and grampa , but not for about 20 years.
I did go pheasant hunting last year with my company at a game preserve in Tygh Valley - it was so much fun.
This is very selfish but i want this for my sons. I just have no idea where to begin. We all shoot regularly and safely , we have gear , just need some mentoring.
Thanks

Do you have any friends who hunt? sounds like you need a hunting buddy to take you out. I am sure someone else will pop on and can recommend a local club where you might meet a few people who are looking for someone to go with.
Just if you do find someone, make sure they are long time hunters, you dont want another new guy.. the blind leading the blind and such.;)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews