JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I belong to the Canby Rod & Gun Club. I too am getting started hunting. I am taking the hunter education class this month. At 55 I am not required to take it, but I know all education is good. Was watching V/S they were hunting mule deer, and one was up on a ridge. The new hunter lifted his rifle and said he wanted to take a shot. The guide said, "No, not when we don't know what's behind him." I thought, wow, one of the cardinal rules.""Know your Target and what's behind it."" I know a 30-06 will travel 4 miles, and be deadly for 3 at least.
That's why I'm taking the class.
Mike

Any advice on field dressing deer/elk? Thats probably the biggest part that worries me about messing something up.

Best to have someone with you, that knows what they are doing. But then one deer a year just isn't enough practice IMHO. :eek:

Video's, books, google, lots of tutorials. A deer really isn't too bad as long as you didn't gut shoot it. An Elk, is a whole different ballgame. Here's how not to do it,,,

[Youtube]v/A0E8DcNm1Fs[/Youtube]

I agree, have an experienced person in your hunt, if you are a newbie. Too much to learn, and alas also very easy-- to tell you all of the varibles would be a book. An accurate firearm, a piece of string , a knief like a scouple, a folding saw, and 30 ft. of roap to start . Hunt deer to start. The thrill is the hunt, The work starts soon after the shot is heard.

I have the Gerber 3 back knife set for skinning and gutting. As for going with someone experienced that isnt looking to good. I once saw a lil guide somewhere that I might try to print out and bring with me.

Hey mikeish, 55 young, and going for something new, awesome. success and prosperity to you. You will do well.

Thanks Novamind, I had to wait until my four kids were all gone before my wife would allow a gun into our home. I willingly put off my wants for 30 years. Glad that they didnt take longer, as I really believe tough times are ahead, and self protection, and self procurement of food will become necessary.

I haven't bought a tag as yet, just the $1.00 points for deer and elk. I may find a buddy willing to take me out this year. Next year I will be going for sure.

I passed the course, and am glad I took it. Learned a lot.

I've never hunted or ate Blacktail, but love Whitetail. Mule deer, not bad as sausage or hamburger. I'm looking to hunt the coastal range of southern Oregon, cause that's where we are moving to.

I took a mulie that dressed out at 200# this year. Had the backstrap the other night for dinner. It was sweet, mild, and you could cut it with a fork. Never ate anything better.:D

My Dad basically fed us on deer when I was kid,so what little(very) I know I learned myself.
And I watched a ton on You Tube.

Look up Roe deer butchering. The guy should be a teacher if he isn't already.
Step by step videos on butchering.I heard a lot of bad stuff about butcher shops,so I butchered my first deer.And what an experience!

Plenty on field dressing too.

Good luck to all

If you're interested in learning to hunt, what's the best way to go about it without spending tons of money or getting your *** lost?

get a good used rifle that shoots straight, i like my 7mm rem mag, but a 30-30 or 30-06 or .243 will be cheaper, learn how it shoots and get good at shooting from a standing position.

second, get maps, several, topo is nice, stick to logging roads till you are comfortable navigating the area on foot. make sure you have a compass and know how to use it, been plenty of places where my gps was worthless. also call your local forestry office and ask what gates will be open during the season and make sure you get out of the woods before they close the gates (dark)

know anyone that hunts? it's been said before, but here it is again, hunting partners can teach you the most.

don't forget to bring a snack. if you see a trail that looks like it was made by animals...it probaly was, that's a good place to find animals

Yes, elk are actually one breed of deer. So are moose, and some other ungulates.

cer·vid [sur-vid]

noun .
any member of the deer family, Cervidae, comprising deer, caribou, elk, and moose, characterized by the bearing of antlers in the male or in both sexes.

un·gu·late
   [uhng-gyuh-lit, -leyt]

adjective
1. having hoofs.

2. belonging or pertaining to the Ungulata, a former order of all hoofed mammals, now divided into the odd-toed perissodactyls and even-toed artiodactyls.

Cervids are ungulates, but not all ungulates are cervids

welcome to the hunting lifestyle! warning..... it is very addictive and you may find the inner red neck in you. soon camo will be in ever piece of your wardrobe. like said by others if you are just getting started in the hunting world you should try a certain species. what meat do you want to eat waterfowl, big game, or even small game. If you decide on a species then study up on them. find out what gun size is the most popular to use, where the species reside, cleaning method of said species when acquired, and the bounderies plus hunting laws for said species. Once you have a core understanding about the species its a good idea to scout areas before you go hunting. stop in local sportman stores and ask questions. you will find a few people that will not give you much but keep asking people one will give you more info then you can handle sooner or later. who knows you may just make a hunting buddy! hunters ed is a great place to learn from experienced hunters that teach those classes. hey have fun and be safe

I am looking for someone to be a podcast guest on the subject of tips for someone who has never hunted but wants to know where to start.. If you are someone who would be willing to be interviewed for about 30-45 minutes on the subject please contact me..
-Joshua

The are two things I know about hunting in the coast range:

1) There are a gajillion people who go up opening weekend.

2) There wasn't a deer within 20 miles of us the entire time.

The are two things I know about hunting in the coast range:

1) There are a gajillion people who go up opening weekend.

2) There wasn't a deer within 20 miles of us the entire time.

Thats why I gave up modern firearm hunting. *GASP NOT THE GUN* Yes.. I gave up the gun (for hunting in the woods)

I now archery hunt, which is WAY more challenging, only a fraction of the people do it, its earlier in the season and the meat tastes a whole lot better, you dont get shot at, AND you see WAY WAY WAY more animals because all the city folk haven't had a chance to make them gunshy..:cool:

:)huh:for all you city folk reading this:huh:... gunshy is when the deer learn that when a someone stops and bullets get sent in their general direction without any real understanding of the word accuracy.. they learn to RUN at the first sign of a person)

Late archery season is bit more challenging because the deer tend to be quite a bit more skittish, and not as willing to stick around to find out what the cracking branch was!! :s0114:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews