JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The elevation change between my rifle range in the Portland area and where I hunt over east makes a noticeable POI shift. I always go to elk camp 2-3 days early to cut firewood and dial-in my rifle (about 20 miles from camp).

Ballistics data don't bear that out as far as I can tell. With a 30'06 and a 168gr bullet, there is one inch less drop at 300yds.

Please note that I am not arguing here...Just stating my experiences.

I have found that I do not really need to adjust my load for the various distances or elevation , here where I hunt in Washington.
But...
When I have shot in Wyoming or Montana , I have found that I need to verify my POI vs. POA with my rifle...using the same load.

Now a word or four to explain...
First my rifle here is my .54 Hawken...
Second , I always do need to adjust my sight picture / hold at various distances , because my sights are a "fixed" buckhorn rear and sliver blade front....I have shot this rifle enough to "know" where to place my sights at different ranges , in order to make a hit...This action has become "second nature" , one where I do not have to "think" it thru...
Three , it may be that even though tables and charts say one thing , what your individual rifle needs might be another....
Four , the human factor in shooting can play havoc when shooting in the hunting field vs. off the bench...which can easily account for changes in projectile point of impact vs . point of aim....

In short ( somewhat :D ) :
Practice with your hunting rifle and the hunting load of your choice , as often as you can....
Practice in the area you would like to hunt in if possible....( Before hunting season )
Practice off the bench , when you are tired , hungry , cold , wet , hot , in poor lighting etc...
Get to know your hunting rifle and load , so that shooting with it becomes second nature...
Never go beyond your ability as hunter or shooter , when shooting at game...
Andy

Ballistics data don't bear that out as far as I can tell. With a 30'06 and a 168gr bullet, there is one inch less drop at 300yds.
Maybe it isn't the elevation; perhaps it's the temperature. It was 85 degrees yesterday when I zeroed my rifles at the range. My elk tag this year is in Keating in mid-November; should be 55-60 degrees colder. All I know is that I always end up doing a little tweaking once I get to eastern Oregon.

I never quite grasped the whole sight-in at hunting season concept, unless I just installed it my stuff is always sighted in and verified multiple times throughout the year.
I agree, and I have a safe full of guns that I know are ready to go because I practice throughout the year. However, I'd rather see people do the quick pre-season sight-in than not shoot their rifles at all.

Funny story: I joined a friend's family elk camp two years ago. After we got camp set up, everyone started showing off their new rifles. It turned out that 3 of the seven "hunters" in my camp had not even fired their rifles since they mounted the scopes. 2 of them had laser-bore-sighted theirs and assumed that was good enough, and the 3rd hadn't even done that. We went the next day and set up a range with known distances, threw my sled on the hood of my truck, and proceeded to sight-in or check all 7 peoples' rifles the day before the season opened. I still can't believe these guys that have hunted together for 30 years don't take it more seriously, but I'm afraid that mentality isn't all that uncommon. To them, hunting season is just a guys' week in the woods; their wives keep asking me why they don't come home with elk meat.

Rifle deer season starts in 2 days. Good luck to all, and please be safe!

I never quite grasped the whole sight-in at hunting season concept, unless I just installed it my stuff is always sighted in and verified multiple times throughout the year.

The problem is there are lots of hunters that only shoot to sight in and harvest the animal. The rest of the year they aren't into firearms. That's why a lot of hunters are such lousy shots. They're hunters, not "gun guys".

The members here notwithstanding. :D

Maybe it isn't the elevation; perhaps it's the temperature. It was 85 degrees yesterday when I zeroed my rifles at the range. My elk tag this year is in Keating in mid-November; should be 55-60 degrees colder. All I know is that I always end up doing a little tweaking once I get to eastern Oregon.

Yah, could be the double whammy... since I am already where I hunt, I haven't had any practical experience with it.

Just out of curiousity, what cartridge are you using and how much diff in POI are you experiencing?

Report I read on this said some rifles are more sensitive than others... It's the rifle, not the bullet/cartridge??? o_O

So I gotta give ya some grief because that's the kinda guy I am... You travel 20miles outside of camp to tweak your sight-in... put's you right near my camp? :p;) If you're away from camps, that's more than most traveling hunters do in my experience. Year after year after year I have people shooting close to my camps (and we do have elk around our camps in close) in the few days before season opens. And then again for some strange reason during the season... Boom boom boom boom boom boom boom... I'm always wondering WTF they shooting at because it sure isn't elk. They must have left somebody at camp and that person got bored or had the gunsmoke jones going.

I agree, and I have a safe full of guns that I know are ready to go because I practice throughout the year. However, I'd rather see people do the quick pre-season sight-in than not shoot their rifles at all.

I'd say it's up to them but if they are wounding animals or sending lead where it doesn't belong, that is everybody's concern.

Funny story: I joined a friend's family elk camp two years ago. After we got camp set up, everyone started showing off their new rifles. It turned out that 3 of the seven "hunters" in my camp had not even fired their rifles since they mounted the scopes. 2 of them had laser-bore-sighted theirs and assumed that was good enough, and the 3rd hadn't even done that. We went the next day and set up a range with known distances, threw my sled on the hood of my truck, and proceeded to sight-in or check all 7 peoples' rifles the day before the season opened. I still can't believe these guys that have hunted together for 30 years don't take it more seriously, but I'm afraid that mentality isn't all that uncommon. To them, hunting season is just a guys' week in the woods; their wives keep asking me why they don't come home with elk meat.

Seeeeeeee, I'm saying that's what I have to live with when people come to my "home turf". It's disturbing.

I shoot my 5.56, .300 blk and .22 thousands of rounds a year, but the fuddy ought six collects dust until hunting season rolls around. I regret procrastinating this year, but it snuck up on me and buying a house got me super busy.

I've hunted elk for about 30 years now and I think every season someone in my camp or one nearby sights in there rifle the day or eve of opening day.
Sometimes turns into a box or two being fired.
And for some reason the elk are still there opening day.
In reality elk don't give a damn if rifles are booming in the area.
It's when people start hiking around and pushing them that gets em spooked.

The problem is there are lots of hunters that only shoot to sight in and harvest the animal. The rest of the year they aren't into firearms. That's why a lot of hunters are such lousy shots. They're hunters, not "gun guys".

And that's is why I don't hunt any more, they're mostly drunk hunters. I'd like to get back into it but it will be bow and muzzle loader only for me.

And that's is why I don't hunt any more, they're mostly drunk hunters. I'd like to get back into it but it will be bow and muzzle loader only for me.
I just stay off the roads. The drunk idiots don't get out of their trucks except to pee. It only takes about a half mile hike behind a closed gate to separate the hunters from the Keystone crew. I probably only run into about 2 hunters a year that are more than a mile from the gate in possibly the busiest units in the state (general season rifle hunts; Alsea / Stott deer, Heppner 2nd spike unless I draw something).

I've hunted elk for about 30 years now and I think every season someone in my camp or one nearby sights in there rifle the day or eve of opening day.
Sometimes turns into a box or two being fired.
And for some reason the elk are still there opening day.
In reality elk don't give a damn if rifles are booming in the area.
It's when people start hiking around and pushing them that gets em spooked.

Yes, it's me that gets annoyed, not the elk. I also get annoyed with people playing loud radios at camp. Both ruin the peace I am seeking by being in the woods. It appears to me that some are going just for the meat, and some are going for the party. Sigh.

I like when people start hiking around on opening day, the elk get spooked, and get out of their beds to be pushed around the woods. Since I am an ambush hunter this works out great. It's when after a number of days the hunters are not out moving the elk anymore that it gets hard to score.

Yes, I gave up the sport after I encountered large groups of tailgaters holding rifles and bottles while I was transiting an area. Same year my friend, the Union County Sheriff, had his elk taken out of his pickup. Slobs!!! I only came back into big game hunting because friends of mine were having elk camp. Now for various reasons I'm not hunting, but I liked to go to camp... until my buddy's kids and grandkids started making it party central. I'm thinking of not going anymore. :(

You're lucky to live that far from a major metropolitan area. You only have to deal with those people a few weeks per year.

I appreciate what you are saying. But I want you to know that I could have lived anywhere and found or created work... I chose here for the lifestyle and have given up a lot to stay here. Could have increased my wages a lot in Portland, but I would only have spent the extra money physically escaping on the weekends or mentally escaping in the tavs. It's ok that we have outsiders coming and contributing to our economy a couple of times a year, but some of those people gotta crap in our home. It gets old.

Sorry for the rant. You seem like a good guy. If you ever get over past Heppner, give me a shout.

Hunter sight in day at Douglas Ridge is always heavily attended.
I was a member there while I was on the wait list for Tri-Counties.
TCGC also had their hunter sight in day last weekend, and it was also heavily attended. I was a RO at my former range and we were always extra vigilant when the horde of "I just shoot during hunting season...if I'm lucky" folk arrive. Let's just say that *standards vary*.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top