JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
TCGC had their's last weekend and again this weekend. If you've been to one there, I would be interested in your feedback. It's always good to know how we are proceived in the eyes of non members while visiting the club (good and bad).
Several years ago, I had an old guy RSO come at me and my brand new M77 with a giant, garden variety hardware store screw driver.
He said he wanted to tighten my action screw. I told him that I had just torqued it at home.

Then he wigged out when he saw 25-06 on my barrel and 30-06 on my ammo headstamps.
I had to explain to him that I had necked down some 30-06 brass to 25-06.
That was my fault, but it was weird that I had to explain the process to him.
He stood way back when it was my turn to shoot.

Then, he inspected my rifle while still holding that giant screwdriver in one hand.
My new Leupold still wears a nice long scratch from that inspection.

So while it was nice to be able to use the range that day, this particular RSO was not qualified.

In closing I would say to make sure your people are tooled up correctly if they have been instructed to tighten action screws or otherwise work on visiting shooter's guns.
Correct bits, torque-reading capability and knowledge of correct torque ranges for the various actions.
Also, if you want to have a rule that requires easily read cartridge markings on the barrel and corresponding headstamps on the ammo, so be it.

Not trying to pick nits, but everyone in this setting should act safely and professionally.
Team meeting for all the RSO's prior to sight-in day is how I would conduct business.

In what world would anyone let someone touch there rifle with any tools unless your paying a skilled gumsmith to work on it?

Action screws need to be properly torqued.
Did he have a torque wrench? Was it calibrated properly?
that just seems crazy to me.

I'm a member at Four Corners in Salem, I haven't been to the sight in service but heard it was a big success this year. It's a little frustrating that during September the range is closed to members on the weekends, that's really my only gripe (not a big one as I just get to leave work early on a weekday to go shoot, lol)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top