JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll reference 2 different threads at once.
This one and the "pre 64 winnie " hot button have prompted FoxPro to introduce the boomer call .
Alternatively shouts " glock is better than 1911 !" And " pre 64 model 70 , $200!"

Anyone who comes in to this call should be taken to closest VFW for Schmidt beer and peanuts before being returned to their wife.

725079-cd73e7f9bde94e6b56dc09efd80f6356.jpg 725079-cd73e7f9bde94e6b56dc09efd80f6356.jpg

I know this talk has been going on for years, and somehow I don't mind.
it will never die, and never get old. As long as your not serious about it.
The 45 is a warhorse...you can beat it all you want, but it will never die.

1) "I had an instructor say that if you are going into a situation where you think a typical concealed carry gun doesn't have enough power or rounds, you should seriously reconsider why you are going into that situation."
Unfortunately, unless we are blessed with psychic powers we don't know ahead of time what a situation will require until you require it.
If I knew ahead of time that a situation would require > than 31 rds. (11 to start + 2 * 10) I would stay home and watch Oprah that day or I would take an appropriate long gun.

I strongly disagree... with watching Oprah.

2) "I will stick with a 1911 it has never failed me yet."
There are very few things that came out in/around 1911 that are still , if not state of the art, the gold standard against which contenders are compared.
e.g.: Steyr 1912 - Used and liked through WW2 by the Wehrmacht in 9x19 it is a beautifully made gun of superb build quality. It is also now just an obscure footnote in the history of auto pistols.

The Steyr is on my purchase list when I find one in the right condition and price, along with a C1896 Mauser.

I still hunt with a 1903 springfield chambered in the 30-06 and most of my hunting rifles are based on the 1898 mauser. There are alot of things in the gun world that are quite old but are as viable today as they were a hundred years ago. The 1911 may not be the newest but it is still around because it works.
Hmmm, you're making sounds like a politician

Nothing at all wrong with Caliber .45 Automatic Colt Pistol, or the actual pistol chosen to use it, M-1911 Designed by Saint John Moses Browning and manufactured by Colt and Many others in times of need! It should say something that those two paired have been in service since universal service acceptance in 1911, and are still issued ( in limited numbers) to this day! Lots of others have come and gone, some went on to become great in their own right while many many more have become lost to time, seen only in the obscure collectors hands and rarely used, never carried!
Some of us have chosen to adopt the same combination of .45 and 1911 for our selves, and there is no right to judge any one on that choice, as we are all free to make that choice! I think it's funny as hell to listen to all the funny statements on both sides of the .45 and 1911 discussions, but when the rubber meets the road, I will be rockin a 1911, possibly even one in Caliber .45 Automatic Colt Pistol, and when my Body is discovered, there will be a 1911 with me!

My most prized firearm (and possession) is an Ithaca 1911 that my great uncle carried in WWII. But I don't put the 1911 or the .45ACP up on a pedestal like some. If you like them, cool. If you like Glocks in 9mm, cool. :)

My 9mm worked just fine on the hypothetical threats I faced today.

My .40 S&W worked just fine on the hypothetical threats I faced last year.

I imagine that .45 acp would be just as effective as the hypothetical threats 99.9% of forum members encountered in their daily routines today, as well.

Same as for those that choose to carry .380 or .22 Magnum, or 10mm.

When I actually have to shoot someone to protect my life or the lives of innocents, I'll be sure to post the results...
Then my trunk monkey should have my six....

My most prized firearm (and possession) is an Ithaca 1911 that my great uncle carried in WWII. But I don't put the 1911 or the .45ACP up on a pedestal like some. If you like them, cool. If you like Glocks in 9mm, cool. :)
YUP!
Having sampled most types and manufactures over the years, I have found I still prefer Ol' Big Mouth, and that's actually sayin something, as I also really REALLY like the Beretta M-9/92 and the CZ/Jericho/Baby Eagle! All well proven and all reliable!

YUP!
Having sampled most types and manufactures over the years, I have found I still prefer Ol' Big Mouth, and that's actually sayin something, as I also really REALLY like the Beretta M-9/92 and the CZ/Jericho/Baby Eagle! All well proven and all reliable!
My Jericho 941 in 45ACP is right up there with my 1911. Oh gosh don't make me choose!

The 45 was used by the US for all conflicts for eighty years including two world wars. I dont believe its any less effective today. I still sleep with mine.
I could have a lot of fun at your expense with your claim, but I prefer to be excellent with each other.

Heck with that.

It's been 7 years since I slept with a 45. :D

Now I sleep with two 23's. :D:D

View attachment 775400

I know this talk has been going on for years, and somehow I don't mind.
it will never die, and never get old. As long as your not serious about it
The 45 is a warhorse...you can beat it all you want, but it will never die.

That looks like a mule to me. Festus rode a mule called "Ruth".
You must not shoot it much then.
I do (or more so, did). It's the reason I despise firing pin safeties in the 1911 platform.

Count me in as a 1911 and 45 ACP guy. Count me in as a bolt action 30-06 guy...
Meanwhile, the gun I've been carrying is a 5 shot 357 and the rifle I last used, a lever in 30WCF.
(and be careful to make sure to catch your typos when typing c(o)unt and guy...)

I completely understand and preach the serious side of firearms. That doesn't mean we can't have a little fun along the way.

Upcoming Events

Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews