JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's kinda cute to think that way. So if you were on the San Andreous? fault your garage wouldn't fall in?
When the ground under the garage liquifies,it won't sink? The get crushed? Not making fun but when you are talking Mother Nature nothing is invincible.
I do like the idea of putting stores a couple different places so hopefully one place doesn't get destroyed.
Over here I just hope it doesn't open up one of these lava veins that is heating my hot springs:eek:

I'm wondering about the well. I have a generator to run it, but will the pump still run after an event. Will there be an uninterrupted pipe to push the water through

I'm wondering about the well. I have a generator to run it, but will the pump still run after an event. Will there be an uninterrupted pipe to push the water through
Will the aquifer you are sucking water from still be there?
The earth may open right next to it and drain it out.
Never can tell,heck with any sized earthquake that would last 4-5 minutes. If it reaches a 9 for 5 minutes who know what will be left.
One thing for sure it won't be pretty

Will the aquifer you are sucking water from still be there?
The earth may open right next to it and drain it out.
Never can tell,heck with any sized earthquake that would last 4-5 minutes. If it reaches a 9 for 5 minutes who know what will be left.
One thing for sure it won't be pretty

So you're an advocate of beer in cans then.

This is kind of a silly one here. Hurricane straps? Then the hurricane takes the house apart in pieces right?
Strap your house down for a earthquake?
What does that do when your foundation is a crumbled mess?
Well I guess the house could move off the foundation :eek:
Just sayin there may be better things to worry about
Like you mentioned,turning the gas off

Sheer wall.

A house bumped off the foundation can be recovered. As can many, if not most of the belongings.

A house collapsed? hmm not so good...

I've watched San Andreas a couple times now so you could say I'm an expert. Basically in the event I simply plan on becoming Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson and jumping the tsunami with my boat. Problem avoided.

I have an earthquake kit for 4 people and have few emergency food rations has part of my earth quake backpack. I also got some coast guard approved emergency ration bars as well. I don't want to eat them at all but it is better than starving. I have the water heater strapped down and have an automatic natural gas shutoff value the goes between house the gas meter. It automatically shuts the gas off if it detects a 5.2 or stronger earthquake. Also have a natural gas and water wrench in our earth quake kit and have a spare wrench at the meter in a sealed plastic case. We bought the house live 16 years ago and so the house it strapped down by earthquake straps to the concrete foundation.

Looking at the natural gas meters on all of our neighbors houses they don't have any automatic shut off values so maybe the whole neighborhood would burn down instead. :(

We also have a have a water filter with two ceramic water filters and also some and some MSR dromedrary bags for water storage. Have a Water BOB since we can put that in the bath tub and fill it up. The WaterBOB is not useful in the event of an earthquake but in civil unrest can stay at home it would be OK. You can use the water heater water as well assuming your water heater us undamaged and you can get to it the event of an earthquake.

Last Edited:
You know, as much as ive read up on this, i havent seen a report on just how much damage something like this would do to Portland. I have a vested interest, as my wife works there 2 out of the five days of the week. Anyone help me out on this subject?

You know, as much as ive read up on this, i havent seen a report on just how much damage something like this would do to Portland. I have a vested interest, as my wife works there 2 out of the five days of the week. Anyone help me out on this subject?
Geez look in the threads here for links and search YouTube.
Tons of 'info'?:confused:,propaganda?,fear mongering? about the subject.
It could happen tomorrow or in 100 years or not at all. They 'speculate' quite a bit. It's almost like to get folks to buy more shnit to be prepared,IMHO. Or maybe to justify their jobs?
Yeah a lot of question marks ,huh?
So to answer your question,from what I've read and figured on my own,if it was a 9 quake for 5 minutes,like they say it may be, there won't be much left of Portland or Seattle. Or any burg on the west coast.

Last June, there was a big emergency exercise named Cascadia Rising. Tried to simulate the big one. Mostly a communication and community cooperation exercise. FEMA had an after action report. Washington State had an after action report. Oregon had an after action report. They all agreed. If we get the full Cascadia Subduction zone rip, most of us will be on our own... for weeks!! Just Google Cascadia Rising.

Here's a link to a number of articles about the Cascadia quake. And here is a link to C.R.E.W.

And to their scenario of a 9.0 quake. Makes for an interesting read.......well, maybe for some of us. Here's a teaser....the contents page....

While the "there's an X% chance of it occurring within Y years" speculation varies, from what I've read, watched, and the emergency management personnel I've talked to..... magnitude 9 quakes have happened in the PNW region and will happen again. But the "when" date varies considerably.

Is there hype? Exaggeration? A desire to expand public agencies size and budget? You bet. But the genuine concern I see and hear in the faces and voices of emergency management personnel is real. They have a pretty good idea how bad it will be and they know how ill-prepared local and state government is. They know there is going to be a huge backlash --- much directed at them ---- when the dust settles, even though it's the legislature and the governor/governors who should bear the most responsibility for a lack of action.

When I think of a Cascadia event, I call to mind a quake in China some years ago. A school collapsed or was buried in a landslide. Many, many children died or where seriously injured. I think about what will happen on some cold, rainy day in February, all across western OR and WA, when such a quake hits and of all the un-retro-fitted school buildings filled with thousands of children who will be......

I think, when the casualties are totaled, the public outrage will be fierce and vicious, but I also fear that those who are truly responsible will never be held accountable. It will be yet more proof-positive that government, most of the time, does not really have the best interests of its citizens at heart. Unfortunately it will take such a catastrophic event to highlight this....but only for a few, perhaps fleeting, moments. I hope I'm wrong on this, but after reflecting on social and political events in OR and the nation over the past decade, I'm not very optimistic.

I'm preparing for the most likely event and when that's met, I'll do some more for a little less likely event.

But I don't stop living. I just adapt, plan, and prepare because I know that for some sort of event what I've done will come in handy at the least and may save/sustain the life of my family at the other end of the spectrum.

I balance my preps and hobbies and the rest of my life. I also find time to put some of what I know to use in public service by volunteering in emergency management, emergency communications, disaster response and disaster relief.

It won't have to be a quake for my plans and preps to pay off.

Last Edited:
Here's another, more recent article on Cascadia. Not much new, but it notes the need for greater coordination between gov't communications and ham radio organizations.

And a link to the Oregon Emergency Mgt's After Action Report for Cascadia Rising.

And WA's OEM AAR.

And, finally, an article on "planes and parachutes" for post-quake supply.

Last Edited:
If a magnitude nine hits us on the coast, My hope is that it is just that quick and it is over. With the land mass changing, mountains reshaping themselves into valleys the shore line flatting into the ocean and liquefaction absorbing surrounding areas. I Just can't run that fast especially if between six and nine hundred miles of the coast is doing the above all the way to I-5

Just a note when I moved on to our property in the 1980s I ran my back hoe in the field and found beach sand below the surface about two or three feet down and a lob lolly of logs and other things down there below that
Trying to talk to anyone that would listen was in vain when I suggested a wave some ten or more miles inland that had left coarse beach sand below the top soil in our field.
They are sure interested these days!
Silver Hand

Last Edited:
Here's another, more recent article on Cascadia. Not much new, but it notes the need for greater coordination between gov't communications and ham radio organizations.

And a link to the Oregon Emergency Mgt's After Action Report for Cascadia Rising.

And WA's OEM AAR.

And, finally, an article on "planes and parachutes" for post-quake supply.

There is a nice thought about "planes and parachutes". Hopefully there will be law enforcement, national guard troops etc. on the ground to prevent people from hording necessary supplies from others. All bets are off when when an severe earthquake hits how civil everyone will be.

There is a nice thought about "planes and parachutes". Hopefully there will be law enforcement, national guard troops etc. on the ground to prevent people from hording necessary supplies from others. All bets are off when when an severe earthquake hits how civil everyone will be.

It'd be along while before planes in Oregon & Washington would be able to help out with evacs & drops & such. Would more likely have to be from out of state or Southern Oregon/maybe eastern Washington.

I think I read that the only viable surviving airfield along the 5 corridor would be around Medford, but obviously depends on magnitude. Sure rotor wing will be able to help, but there evac/load capacity isn't anywhere near fixed wing.

I'm thinking if the magnitude is anything like they are expecting for the big one we can count out any kind of real help for months.

I could be wrong but I would rather be prepared than have to deal with a bunch of people fighting over ration's dropped from a plane. You think the protesters were bad holy bubblegum it would get ugly quick. :eek:

9 or above if you have a pipe it it broken and the water is gone someplace it has never been before.

This is serious stuff and I live within striking distance of the wave depending on what I read it will be 100 feet or less +- and follows rivers like a burning wick connected to dynamite.
Silver hand

This is not the hard core stuff all by itself, it does include some of the worlds top scientists and others playing with there words and bringing it down a notch or two, if you have the mind set to find such hard core things it might be better in black and white.
But this is a good read that will take you away from NWF for a short time and give you more of an understanding of what we may have missed a moment ago in time. A compilation of facts in a readers version.

The Earthquake That Will Devastate the Pacific Northwest

9 or above if you have a pipe it it broken and the water is gone someplace it has never been before.

This is serious stuff and I live within striking distance of the wave depending on what I read it will be 100 feet or less +- and follows rivers like a burning wick connected to dynamite.
Silver hand

This is not the hard core stuff all by itself, it does include some of the worlds top scientists and others playing with there words and bringing it down a notch or two, if you have the mind set to find such hard core things it might be better in black and white.
But this is a good read that will take you away from NWF for a short time and give you more of an understanding of what we may have missed a moment ago in time. A compilation of facts in a readers version.

The Earthquake That Will Devastate the Pacific Northwest
So the funny thing for me there is they mentioned why the name of the fault is Cascadia.
The volcanic mountains of the Cascades.
Hmmm,what happens if the earthquake wakes up a volcano?
Just a thought

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads