JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We are pretty well set! Big problem is we need to move much more gear and food out of the basement and into the garage! Not doing so well health wise lately, so not much extra strength for moving stuff!

Thanks for the heads up Argentinesteel. Just a reminder appropo nothing and not pointing this to anyone in particular, but if you don't have a pair of shoes tucked under your bed all the time, getting to a "Go Bag" or a "Get out of Dodge" vehicle could likely be a bloody, glass encrusted feet proposition. I tossed a pair under there for me and for my wife. I don't want her walking on glass either.

As an aside, we built a garage that will withstand the worst quake imaginable even if it was situated on the nastiest California fault line. Then we located water barrels under the gutter drainpipes. The Chinese fella who did the architectural design cracked us me up when he noted: "maybe house fall over onto garage". Hmmmm. Living in a 100 year old house ain't all that. It could fall over and kill us both while we're sleeping.

Last Edited:
Having most of my gear on the second floor of the house isn't probably the best idea. I need to rethink that.

I like that the warning system gives you 4 minutes warning.
Just enough time to get yourself in a panic,lol
And just like all the other threads on this,if you are in metro pugetropolis or pdx you aint going much of anywhere after it starts.
I did watch a vid the other day that their cartoon? showed the coastal areas kind of dropping a few feet as the plates crossed:eek:
If I can find it again I'll post it. I watch YT on a roku so I can't just bring them over here:(
Thanks for the heads up Argentinesteel. Just a reminder appropo nothing and not pointing this to anyone in particular, but if you don't have a pair of shoes tucked under your bed all the time, getting to a "Go Bag" or a "Get out of Dodge" vehicle could likely be a bloody, glass encrusted feet proposition. I tossed a pair under there for me and for my wife. I don't want her walking on glass either.

As an aside, we built a garage that will withstand the worst quake imaginable even if it was situated on the nastiest California fault line. Then we located water barrels under the gutter drainpipes. The Chinese fella who did the architectural design cracked us me up when he noted: "maybe house fall over onto garage". Hmmmm. Living in a 100 year old house ain't all that. It could fall over and kill us both while we're sleeping.
That's kinda cute to think that way. So if you were on the San Andreous? fault your garage wouldn't fall in?
When the ground under the garage liquifies,it won't sink? The get crushed? Not making fun but when you are talking Mother Nature nothing is invincible.
I do like the idea of putting stores a couple different places so hopefully one place doesn't get destroyed.
Over here I just hope it doesn't open up one of these lava veins that is heating my hot springs:eek:

Water heater strapped into cradle? yes
Generator ready to start? yes
Gas shut off wrench at gas meter? yes
Several 11' x 18' tarps to make shelter? yes
Basic food and camping implements in the barn? yes
Backup water supply laid-in? no not yet
House frame bolted to concrete foundation? no

Water heater strapped into cradle? yes
Generator ready to start? yes
Gas shut off wrench at gas meter? yes
Several 11' x 18' tarps to make shelter? yes
Basic food and camping implements in the barn? yes
Backup water supply laid-in? no not yet

closer than most I'm guessing. I know I still have work to do but I'm sure I am more prepared than the average joe.o_O

This is kind of a silly one here. Hurricane straps? Then the hurricane takes the house apart in pieces right?
Strap your house down for a earthquake?
What does that do when your foundation is a crumbled mess?
Well I guess the house could move off the foundation :eek:
Just sayin there may be better things to worry about
Like you mentioned,turning the gas off

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads