JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
BTW, off-topic, but I've just received my Firearms Certificate AND Explosives license back from the combined police authority in this part of England responsible their provision. Included on the list of 'You are authorised to acquire and possess' are TWO .577 rifles/muskets and ONE .451 rifle.

That means that I can now legally shoot my two Sniders, and get my P-H Whitworth rifle back!!!!!!

Watch this space! Well, the BP forum space - YOU know what I mean. :)
Yay...that is great news...!
Andy

@tac Southern Comfort ( the movie , not the whiskey :D ) is about a National Guard unit that runs afoul with some Cajuns during a field exercise. Its been a long while since I have seen it....but I remember it being a good movie to watch. The soundtrack by Ry Cooder is excellent , if you like the steel guitar. Andy

That is probably the one I meant.

Steel guitar? The day they discover a piece of music by Monteverdi or Albinoni in which an electrically-driven steel guitar features is likely the day one such instrument will become welcome in these old but picky ears [see what I did there? ;)].

Twelve string guitars? Yup. James Taylor playing ANY acoustic guitar? Oh YES!

You'll be mentioning banjo's next, Sir, and our amicable acquaintanceship will be brought to a sad termination.

You'll be mentioning banjo's next, Sir, and our amicable acquaintanceship will be brought to a sad termination.
So
I shouldn't mention that I have relatives that think the movie "Deliverance" is a fine "how to" documentary :eek: :D

Oh the steel guitar I was talking about is not a electric guitar...a steel guitar is vastly different.
Andy

While we are talking about movies, anybody here remember the one about a bunch of jerks mosying around in the swamps [Everglades] getting taken out one by one by the locals? I watched a part of it years ago on a Turkish Airlines flight - it had Arabic sub-titles, BTW, seemed to me to be quite a good one.
The movie "Southern Comfort" come to mind here.
Andy

"Southern Comfort" starring Keith Carradine and Powers Booth.

National Guardsmen on weekend drill-maneuvers, armed with and shooting blanks.... and not a blank adaptor to be seen anywhere.

It's because of THAT movie that I had no idea an M60 or an M16 wouldn't cycle w/o a blank adaptor until I went into basic training!

:rolleyes::s0140:

Last Edited:
Posters in Lethal Weapon 4

0814161343_zps7qzbcntv.jpg 0814161344_HDR_zpsfml5khsv.jpg

Last Edited:
Who shot JR and did he DIE?
It took a little bit of work, but her ya go, Cate...

Kristin Shepard (played by Mary Crosby) was the trigger woman. She was JR's scheming sister-in-law and was his mistress.
And no, JR did not die as a result of the shooting. The shooting was the end of Season 3 cliffhanger, and they still had 11 more seasons to go in the original series run.
JR was killed 33 years later, in 2013, as part of a set-up he hatched to frame one of his rivals for his murder (actually assisted suicide) in the series revival (2012-2014).

Who Shot J.R.? - Wikipedia

Dallas (2012)

I think that the actor who played JR may have been the son (?) of the stage and film star lady who played in the STAGE version of SOUTH PACIFIC. Mary Martin? That lady was very talented on STAGE and she made some films too. She may (?) have been in the original Peter Pan show when I was a KID too.
The actor's name is Larry Hagman. He was a prolific actor most remembered for his role as JR in Dallas and as Major Anthony Nelson in the TV sitcom I Dream of Jeannie with Barbara Eden. He had a career on stage, film, and TV that spanned more than 60 years.

And you are quite correct. His mother was indeed Mary Martin of South Pacific fame, as well as Peter Pan on both stage and TV screen.
Interesting tidbit... Larry Hagman's very first appearance in any medium was as a young SeaBee in South Pacific, with his mother in the lead role.

Mary Martin - Wikipedia

I'll close by saying that your memory is impeccable.

Last Edited:
I was in marching band in high school and the night we were going to found out who shot JR we left at night for take buses down to Southern California back in 1980. I had to watch on reruns after we got back. It was my first trip to Disneyland and we got to march down main street in Disneyland. Great memories. :D

YOU found them. Thank you!

They were putting anti gun and anti NRA posters and WORDS in their scripts in many films and I have even seen them (ANTI GUN - large posters!) in many, many BOOB TUBE police shows.

I saw some old clips and shows on You Tube recently and they were ALL OVER the peace officers squad room. I had it on when my husband got up for his day and we were drinking coffee. I pointed them out to him but he saw them immediately too. He was reading his news online and looked up and there they were! It ticked him off even though he did enjoy the old show.

He used to have some really CRAZY hours at work (24/7) and not just when he was a younger man. He did not watch the boob tube much years ago and that goes for his viewing habits now too.

Thanks again!

Cate

Last Edited:
Wasnt there a scene in bullitt (or however it was spelled) where something like 7 hubcaps came off one car in one chase? Just kinda how Hollywood works

Recalling again, the movie lone survivor was supposed to have been pretty accurate, down to rounds fired between mags and even semi/full auto in given situations.

In the movie Domino, there's a scene where someone cocks the hammer on their revolver 3 times in a hotel room with one other person, pointing it at their head the whole time. Gotta keep them gunz clickin or nobody would know these actors are for real :rolleyes:

It took a little bit of work, but her ya go, Cate...

Kristin Shepard (played by Mary Crosby) was the trigger woman. She was JR's scheming sister-in-law and was his mistress.
And no, JR did not die as a result of the shooting. The shooting was the end of Season 3 cliffhanger, and they still had 11 more seasons to go in the original series run.
JR was killed 33 years later, in 2013, as part of a set-up he hatched to frame one of his rivals for his murder (actually assisted suicide) in the series revival (2012-2014).

Who Shot J.R.? - Wikipedia

Dallas (2012)

The actor's name is Larry Hagman. He was a prolific actor most remembered for his role as JR in Dallas and as Major Anthony Nelson in the TV sitcom I Dream of Jeannie with Barbara Eden. He had a career on stage, film, and TV that spanned more than 60 years.

And you are quite correct. His mother was indeed Mary Martin of South Pacific fame, as well as Peter Pan on both stage and TV screen.
Interesting tidbit... Larry Hagman's very first appearance in any medium was as a young SeaBee in South Pacific, with his mother in the lead role.

Mary Martin - Wikipedia

I'll close by saying that your memory is impeccable.

Holy moly! Thank you for the research.

That DALLAS show lasted a LONG time. I did not know that fact. Wow! I was not into it as I said.

I remember Larry's face and acting in MANY other shows now especially some 'detective shows' where he was a main star in a specific show but not a regular actor in the series. I remember him in some OLD western tv shows too. Guest parts.

I did not watch the I Dream of Jeannie show but I did see it one time.

I used to be able to remember many old actors who were on stage or screen. Authors and many books too. But that was a LONG time ago and sometimes I will see an actor and try to remember his/her name. Later on, it will come to me or I will have to look it up. My MT husband does the same thing! LOL

Take care!

Cate

Many years ago....I just can't do the G,B and Ugly anymore. Too long, or something. Some of those old spaghetti Westerns are tough to watch now, with the lip movement not matching the audio, and such. Too slow and dry.
I tried to rewatch Once Upon a Time in America the other day. Couldnt make it through 10 minutes. You have to be a Spaghetti Western groove to watch those things.

I tried to rewatch Once Upon a Time in America the other day. Couldnt make it through 10 minutes. You have to be a Spaghetti Western groove to watch those things.

You mean "Once upon a time in the West"? That's one that seems to go on forever. No, I see now....not sure I ever saw that one. Though I do really like "Goodfella's" and "A Bronx Tale" Maybe I have tried to watch Once upon a time in America and couldn't finish. You gotta' be in a certain mood to spend the hours watching 3+ hour gangster movies. "The Godfather", anyone? :)

I believe that, "Once Upon a Time in The West" was the last spaghetti western movie. I did like, "A Fistful of Dollars" and the movie, "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly".

I know I can always count on hollywood to very inaccurately portray guns and physics.

For example - even in what was supposed to be a "good" gun movie - John Wick 3, Neo picked the 9mm PCC against armored targets "for extra penetration" compared to the .223 or other rifle calibers there and you just shout "get the flip out of here!"

At that point, just laughing at the stupidity of it all becomes the point of the movie...

Actually the extra penetration was for the benelli and AP slugs. It wasn't regarding the PCC.

You mean "Once upon a time in the West"? That's one that seems to go on forever. No, I see now....not sure I ever saw that one. Though I do really like "Goodfella's" and "A Bronx Tale" Maybe I have tried to watch Once upon a time in America and couldn't finish. You gotta' be in a certain mood to spend the hours watching 3+ hour gangster movies. "The Godfather", anyone? :)
Yeah, in the west. It goes on and on. and on.

Actually the extra penetration was for the benelli and AP slugs. It wasn't regarding the PCC.

Guess I was mistaken, 12 ga, even AP - equally ridiculous against hard armor plates in the 3 or higher variety. Level 3a, maybe - except any real rifle caliber will shred 3a without issue.

The video below is AP 12 ga supposedly and it clocked at 1060 ish fps.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top