JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Seriously though, I know many who carry in them, and nobody ever seems to pay any attention to them.

Fanny pack were a fashion statement a few years ago, and then the gun crowd figured out that they were a great spot to hide some heat.

So true, they are noticeable for sure.

Snowy

This graph is a waste of space because most people don't pay attention. I've worn fitted button up shirts around people all day and they haven't noticed the bugle. Heck one day I was talking with someone and as I stood up my shirt got yanked up by the table and he did't see the gun that was string him in the face. Basically people go thru life like this

Elderly Pasadena Couple Doesn't See Bear On Their Front Porch. - YouTube

I been in the biz for years and years.

A person who is fiddling with a "spot" on his / her person regularly is likely either got an itchy spot, or a gun that's not comfy.

The long T shirt that's waaaaaay too long, may well be covering a gun, same with the coat in warm weather.

The stride thing and other hoooopla in that diagram, /???????
More Liberal scare tactics me thinks.

I am a 6 foot blonde gal and usually carry my little mouse gun in a belt pouch that looks like many cell phone/gizmo pouches

Most people spend more time looking at my boobs rather than trying to see if I am carrying a gun. :s0112:

Fanny packs, even though they conceal the weapon, are not all that discreet.

I can carry a lovely little blaster under my skirt in an inside the thigh rig and nobody is gonna tell, at least not unless they are doing some serious UPSKIRT stuff :s0131:

Somebody is over thinking the issue me thinks.

Snowy

:s0122:

:s0112:

Fanny packs might catch the notice of other gun carriers and make them go "I wonder if there's a gun in there," but that's about it. I seriously doubt most people wearing fanny packs are carrying guns. First thing I think is diabetes or some other medical condition, an then maybe gun.

I know a friend that had some medications he had to have with him at all times used to keep them in a fanny pack so it was always with him - there were a few stores in Sacramento that told him not to bring his gun into their store...

Funny thing - he got a medical patch of some sort and put it on there and they never questioned it after that - at which time he started carrying in the rear zipper section with the meds in the front part.

I highly doubt I do any of those tells since I have a good holster and belt which doesn't cause me to do any of those listed..

Yep, I think a fanny pack is always a give away :)
Yeah a friend and I was at a pro basketball game, 'packin heat' when two guys with crew cuts and fanny packs get on the elevator with us. My buddy and I looked at each other and crack a smile. No doubt they were U.C.
but they didn't know we were both packin HK USP's.

I'm 5' 10" 180lbs You cant tell Im carrying a full size 9mm. Get a good holster and you won't need to make all of those unnecessary movements/adjustments to help conceal. I run with my dog carrying in an inside the waistband holster without issue. Running from the rain? The only people that get exposed by this chart probably shouldn't be carrying. When I first started carrying I was super self conscious of printing and about that time saw a thread somewhere about printing. Basically it said to walk towards people in a mall and see where your eyes are focused as you pass by while you are going about your business. I did/do that. I'm surprised at how hard it must be to see someone printing that is in motion with a proper holster. Since then; I carry without being worried about ME printing and that confidence allows me to move around naturally and not looking like I'm trying to compensate or hide something. Hell you might get hit up as being a potential shoplifter if you look all "hey look at me I'm hiding something" That's my take.

That is a great reply! You stated you carry a full sized 9mm. I would be curious to know what the 9 is, and what IWB holster you use. I had thought about attempting to carry my Beretta 92fs in that manner, but it is huge. I carry my HK P7 which is a much better weapon (IMHO), if you discount the difference between 15 rounds and 8 rounds. I have tried a few different IWB holsters with the P7, including he highly touted Milt Sparks one, which I didn't lke at all, and have yet to find the best one for this butt heavy gun.

I just live like everyone is carrying, and if they are not, I am not concerned.
I look for those people who are willing, like I am, to look everyone else strait in the eyes.

About 45+ years ago, I moved from the Northwest to the East. Lived near some big cities: Chicago, Phila., NYC, and worked in others. I wasn't there for very long before I learned that looking someone "straight in the eyes" in that part of the country is, at very least, impolite, or worse, a direct challenge. Left that part of the country for Idaho about 25 years ago, but I still avoid direct eye contact unless there is intent to intimidate ... from either direction.

Interesting factoid thanks to Google Image search.

This diagram was originally created by Megan Jaegerman in 1992 for the New York Times, in consultation with NYPD Detective Robert T Gallagher, who claimed to have made over 1200 gun arrests over an 18 year career. He used these techniques to create probable cause to search people, which is pretty questionable in itself, but then New York's finest has never seen a constitutional right that they respected, except for their pension plan.

http://www.edwardtufte.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0002w4

New York in 1992, nobody has a CHL and nobody had gun belts or holsters, so it explains a lot of the dated info. Gallagher allegedly said "Of the 1,301 guns taken off the street by the gun recovery unit he was part of, only seven had holsters" which means the info is useless for 99% of CHL carriers today. The 1992 date also explains the fanny pack.

In summary, wear a holster. This is dated, mostly useless info.

More on Officer Gallagher at http://www.nytimes.com/1984/05/18/nyregion/old-fashioned-hero-is-officer-of-the-year.html

Yea, I'd like to see the normal civvie eying everyone they see looking for mysterious 'bulges' or shortened walks. Most of the people I see at Walmart stare at the food, not my waistband.

Everything in the infographic describes me without a gun. I'm just one of those limpy lumpy rumpled guys that doesn't know how to dress.
LOL, same here... the lump of papers and such crap on one side is noticeably heavier than its opposing counterpart. I kinda HAVE to go oversize being a Short 'n' Chunky, I have a limp that comes and goes depending on how my knee's acting on any given day and my jacket's like Batman's utility belt for all the stuff I keep in it. LOL

Add to that the fact that us soggy-around-the-midsections occasionally gotta adjust the ol' belt and where the pants ride, and...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top