JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Saw this today on The Washington Post - I'm sure it's part of their agenda to scare their readers about people carrying firearms. Nonetheless, maybe some valuable tips for spotting someone with a gun? Maybe something to think about when you're carrying? I'm probably guilty of some of these tells.

<broken link removed>

0002w4-7139.jpg

I remember seeing this infographic many years ago. It seems like it might help identify someone carrying a gun jammed in their waistband, but it wouldn't be much use if you are looking for someone using a decent holster and belt, or any other method of carry.

The clothing tips seem particularly useless. 99% of people wearing odd, mismatched, oversized or similar clothing are probably not carrying a gun. And almost nobody uses shoulder holsters anymore.

I do always make a quick adjustment when I am about to get out of the car - where nobody can see me. :)

I struggle with figuring out who is carrying because I can't always tell at a glance. I don't love that awkward moment when you get caught staring at people's bodies looking for a gun.

I'm 5' 10" 180lbs You cant tell Im carrying a full size 9mm. Get a good holster and you won't need to make all of those unnecessary movements/adjustments to help conceal. I run with my dog carrying in an inside the waistband holster without issue. Running from the rain? The only people that get exposed by this chart probably shouldn't be carrying. When I first started carrying I was super self conscious of printing and about that time saw a thread somewhere about printing. Basically it said to walk towards people in a mall and see where your eyes are focused as you pass by while you are going about your business. I did/do that. I'm surprised at how hard it must be to see someone printing that is in motion with a proper holster. Since then; I carry without being worried about ME printing and that confidence allows me to move around naturally and not looking like I'm trying to compensate or hide something. Hell you might get hit up as being a potential shoplifter if you look all "hey look at me I'm hiding something" That's my take.

Nothing in that graphic will help anyone know I am carrying my little pistol in front of my wallet. it just looks like I have a fat wallet instead of the really thin one I actually have. I've carried it on the beach with dozens of people around and nothing but a pair of cut off levis on. Granted its not a full sized 1911 but then it has to be in your hand to be of any use at all and if you leave it at home cause your going to be walking around in cutoffs then its worthless.

Everything in the infographic describes me without a gun. I'm just one of those limpy lumpy rumpled guys that doesn't know how to dress.

Everything in the infographic describes me without a gun. I'm just one of those limpy lumpy rumpled guys that doesn't know how to dress.

LOL. Yep. I'm looking at those pictures and thinking how I've been doing a lot of those things for many years. I've been carrying a 4" Old Timer folder in a sheath for 30 years probably. As I've got older my hips have disappeared. When I'm not wearing suspenders I'll be pullin' my pants up using my sheath. (Or holster on "those" days). As I've got older, all kinds of adjustments need to be made, at any possible time!

Lousy times commin' if everyone is out looking for others carrying, for sure.

Mike

I will be more careful with my colostomy bag......and my adrenaline pump....I'm running out of places to carry. Oh , and I need a left knee re-placement and I've had 3 operations on my right shoulder. That means everyone at my age and in my condition is carrying. I can't run away anymore so I carry.......somewhere.

The FBI taught their agents to always have a couple of loose rounds of ammo in their strong side coat pocket.
That way, when you throw back the coat pocket while reaching for your gun, the extra weight flips the cloth back and keeps it from entangling your gun hand while reaching for it.

Actually, this graphic could be useful, if you're trying to spot a criminal with a gun. These things are mistakes that rookie carriers make. An experienced conceal-carry person isn't as obvious as they make it seem. So, can you spot a newbie carry or a criminal, maybe. But honestly, how many people watch everyone else that closely? About the only time I would do that would be if someone was acting strangely, then, some of these cues, such as grabbing to support the gun or hold it in place while moving around, might be helpful to know.

I have a close friend that's a high end jeweler and one day I met a special courier that was delivering some expensive diamonds to his jewelery store.
He had a very nice custom tailored suit that completely hid his shoulder holster. He also had a really cool titanium brief case that would sound an alarm if it was moved more then 20' away from him. Real James Bond stuff.

Actually, this graphic could be useful, if you're trying to spot a criminal with a gun. These things are mistakes that rookie carriers make. An experienced conceal-carry person isn't as obvious as they make it seem. So, can you spot a newbie carry or a criminal, maybe. But honestly, how many people watch everyone else that closely? About the only time I would do that would be if someone was acting strangely, then, some of these cues, such as grabbing to support the gun or hold it in place while moving around, might be helpful to know.

I do. Security is my living, especially courts. After I got this job 4 years ago it completely changed how I people watch. Our main bread and butter is just equipment. However, we do penetration drills and events time to time also.

Although the graphic above isn't that accurate unless they are a criminal or newbie, I agree. This is why I wore my holster and firearm around the house a LOT before I did it in public to make me comfortable with it.

To answer your question, not that many. Ignorance is bliss, right?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top