JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello folks,
What is the (legal) process in selling a handgun to a private party? If I were to list a handgun on a forum, how does that all work? If this has been covered, please post link. I did not see any "sticky" covering this.
Thank you!

Agree to a sale price then meet at an FFL to complete the sale, they'll be able to run you through the entire process.
Because of the long waits that I hear about...would one take money for the pistol and then leave it with the FFL until the paperwork cleared or would one not take money and only hand over the gun post-paperwork? Trying to understand how the long wait is affecting commerce.

Because of the long waits that I hear about...would one take money for the pistol and then leave it with the FFL until the paperwork cleared or would one not take money and only hand over the gun post-paperwork? Trying to understand how the long wait is affecting commerce.
I sold to a guy from this forum, we met a Bullseye, he did NICS paperwork, the the clerk took my DL info, buyer paid me, we shoot the breeze a little, and then went our separate ways. If the 10 days works like it should for him, then he should be getting his call this Friday.

I spoke to an FFL about this in Carson Washington because I have a pistol listed in the classified of this forum. Process is Paperwork is done, the seller gets paid for the firearm (this happens at the FFL during first meeting), the FFL holds the firearm until buyers paperwork clears, then buyer gets notified and picks up firearm.

I spoke to an FFL about this in Carson Washington because I have a pistol listed in the classified of this forum. Process is Paperwork is done, the seller gets paid for the firearm (this happens at the FFL during first meeting), the FFL holds the firearm until buyers paperwork clears, then buyer gets notified and picks up firearm.
My FFL said they would hold the gun but.
I would not take money till the background check clears or ten days.
So I kept the gun the ten days later we ment again at the FFL signed paperwork.
Then I handed over gun.
Just my opinion.
But if you sign papers to transfer gun.
And let FFL hold it.
Then buyer backs out or don't pass background check.
The gun is FFL property.
If I'm not mistakin.
They have to have record of every gun in there shop.
So they could charge you another transfer fee to get your gun back.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

My FFL said they would hold the gun but.
I would not take money till the background check clears or ten days.
So I kept the gun the ten days later we ment again at the FFL signed paperwork.
Then I handed over gun.
Just my opinion.
But if you sign papers to transfer gun.
And let FFL hold it.
Then buyer backs out or don't pass background check.
The gun is FFL property.
If I'm not mistakin.
They have to have record of every gun in there shop.
So they could charge you another transfer fee to get your gun back.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

For the FFL to submit the background check it has to be in their possession, for them to let you leave with the gun...is a violation of ATF regs. If the seller backs out or is denied, the refund is between the private parties, the transfer fee is still applied, because all of the work is done. If we have to return the firearm the the seller, due to denial...the seller has to complete a background check (we don't charge for that transfer, even though were doing all the work again). These can get weird real fast...

Here's my process:

List for sale in Oregon. Get a buyer, meet them in Oregon at an FFL. They do a BGC and can take the gun home right then and there. I am paid and wash my hands of it. I then spend the proceeds in OR. I may or may not go to the DOR when I get back to WA to pay the use tax on what I bought.

OR

List for sale anywhere but WA, CA, HI. Get a known buyer who has good feedback, receive certified funds, ship the gun to their FFL.

You could add to your title the phrase or semi-auto anything as well. Frankly 1639 and the State failing to take steps (No surprise there) makes it much more of a pain to do transfers. I would make sure the FFL wants to do the transfer as they have to securely store the firearm until the paperwork finally clears. That takes space, inventory, and tracking adding to their cost. There are more FFL's these days who will not do private transfers for just that purpose.

Kudo
s to Sporting Systems for chiming in. Very well laid out and yes it can get messy fast.

Speaking of the FTF sale of a used firearm (say, semi-auto handgun).....

As a buyer...….I'd pay off the seller and let the gun sit at the FFL's place of business. BUT......YES, I have a problem with that. *Because, FFL fees and I know I'll pass another BGC as required by WA law. Then, the waiting is just stupid. Not to mention, the return trip to the FFL's place of business. I mean…...I already own several firearms.

OMG, WA must feel a whole lot safer......by F#@*ing with me! Not to mention, the ever increasing, "infringement of rights". As I see it.

However, If I were a seller.......hummmm. I wouldn't want to leave the firearm at the FFL's place of business. 1) Because, maybe the new buyer can't pass the BGC or maybe there is a "delay". Yup....the system isn't without flaws. 2) Then..... I don't want to travel all the way back there to get my money (or firearm) for a second meeting. If we were doing it that way. So then (if I leave it at the FFL's).....I guess I'll have to ask the FFL before hand......IF any extra fees will be incurred. Yup, not all FFLs will handle things the same way nor will their cost be the same.

*Thank you Washington…... for thinking up this horse $@#^.

As I said in another thread.....(FTF Pvt Sale) I liked things better, when the buyer would just show his "good guy card", money would be exchanged and the firearm handed over.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....IF it was the intent of the LEFT to F#@* things up (make transfers more difficult).....well, they accomplished it!

Last Edited:
And IF Washington wanted to play the game fairly, we (CPL Holders) could essentially walk with what was sold.
FU Washington...in that regard.

I have my moments

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews