JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Considering my first AK build, with a Romanian kit. What are the most important things to know about the kits and/or building them out? Ex: Are underfolders more desirable than fixed? etc.
Knowledge dump, go!

Considering my first AK build, with a Romanian kit. What are the most important things to know about the kits and/or building them out? Ex: Are underfolders more desirable than fixed? etc.
Knowledge dump, go!
About $3000 to $5000 in tooling if you want to build a proper AKM (I build professionally)

About $3000 to $5000 in tooling if you want to build a proper AKM (I build professionally)
Really? so a 12 ton from harbor freight and the jigs, barrel presses etc is all that? what is missing? AK builder has the parts for around 500 or so and a 12 ton press not much either. I'm interested as well as i have a few kits I have been needing to build as well.

Knowledge dump, go!
Good stuff! I have two polish UFs and a bulgy 74 I need to get on building.

Really? so a 12 ton from harbor freight and the jigs, barrel presses etc is all that? what is missing? AK builder has the parts for around 500 or so and a 12 ton press not much either. I'm interested as well as i have a few kits I have been needing to build as well.
I can't speak for @burnsidePDX

However, Harbor Freight stuff at times slip's. Pliers, drills, saws etc. So, I will say it like this… go to HF and buy the 12Ton… another $500 for the parts… and say that the total is about $1k… attempt to put it together and something goes wrong… why? Because it slips whatever… fill in what you want because Murphy's law always gets a say! Now you spent $1,000 and possibly ruined it… why not spend the $3k and ensure that it's done right the first time.

Cue the people that did it with a rubber mallet and vice grips and a hydraulic car lift! :rolleyes: :D

However, Harbor Freight stuff at times slip's. Pliers, drills, saws etc. So, I will say it like this… go to HF and buy the 12Ton… another $500 for the parts… and say that the total is about $1k… attempt to put it together and something goes wrong… why? Because it slips whatever… fill in what you want because Murphy's law always gets a say! Now you spent $1,000 and possibly ruined it… why not spend the $3k and ensure that it's done right the first time.

Cue the people that did it with a rubber mallet and vice grips and a hydraulic car lift! :rolleyes: :D
yeah I get that and makes sense. just never thought it would be that much. maybe was a bit less when i bought the kits back in 2012-14. I too am for building it right as for myself I've seen some hack build kits people built and were selling back then. seen builds with some kind of screws where the receiver rivets should have been and looked off to high hell.. guy was selling them too :p . Wonder if anyone on here "I'm sure I've seen a old list online" has made a what is needed to start AK builds list.

@wired is someone that you may want to message if you are serious about putting them together! Not taking away from anyone else but he's done quite a few and I'm certain he's learned what not to do… there's videos everywhere and even lists and step by step… arms of America even sells stuff

Yeah I don't believe for a split second its $3k-$5k in tooling. ESPECIALLY if your only building a few. Maybe he's talking about folding his own flats and then a kiln for tempering etc and tons of other mass productions tools.

I recently did a bit of research on presses, and a bunch of people said the toth tool jig with the long all thread segments is actually more accurate and easier to re install your barrel and not accidentally go past your cross pin location. It kinda makes sense, I had to use a 20 to press to remove my PSL barrel many years ago, and even the 20T press pre loaded then hopped and shuddered when the barrel moved. Once it got moving it was slightly better but probably not ideal.
And AK's are MUCH easier to build than PSL and other large caliber or specialty "AK's" my buddy built his on whim then got into PSL kits with me and we both kinda struggled a bit.

I would check out the toth tool bolt cutter rivet squeeze jaws and their barrel remove and install jig. They are pretty cheap. and take up MUCH less room slight bit more of a pain in the azz but you can easily build these at your kitchen table. No garage needed.

Check out some of this guys videos and welcome to the rabbit hole. This guy is a certified A&P, thats Airframe and power plant (aircraft mechanic) so he's no dummy. I'd hurry up and soak in his knowledge before PooTube bans him. He's done quite a few AK specific builds of many types.

Looked on my youtube and was already subscribed to his channel :). so must have already found him looking up the subject awhile back. good stuff.

Yeah I don't believe for a split second its $3k-$5k in tooling. ESPECIALLY if your only building a few. Maybe he's talking about folding his own flats and then a kiln for tempering etc and tons of other mass productions tools.

I recently did a bit of research on presses, and a bunch of people said the toth tool jig with the long all thread segments is actually more accurate and easier to re install your barrel and not accidentally go past your cross pin location. It kinda makes sense, I had to use a 20 to press to remove my PSL barrel many years ago, and even the 20T press pre loaded then hopped and shuddered when the barrel moved. Once it got moving it was slightly better but probably not ideal.
And AK's are MUCH easier to build than PSL and other large caliber or specialty "AK's" my buddy built his on whim then got into PSL kits with me and we both kinda struggled a bit.

I would check out the toth tool bolt cutter rivet squeeze jaws and their barrel remove and install jig. They are pretty cheap. and take up MUCH less room slight bit more of a pain in the azz but you can easily build these at your kitchen table. No garage needed.
PSLs are AKs and I have no idea how you could spend 3-5 k on tooling to build an AK. A grand if you just had to buy everything.

PSLs are AKs and I have no idea how you could spend 3-5 k on tooling to build an AK. A grand if you just had to buy everything.
Oh I know.. And yeah I agree. Idk if he's paying pesos or rubles or what? Not even in today's hyper inflation could I see 3-5k that's a friggin damn near new lathe!
I'd almost like to hear an explanation of that.
They are kinda different classes of AK's though that was my meaning.

Ball-peen hammer, propane torch, and asbestos gloves…. c'mon man, don't be a wuss!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top