JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Problem: bottom of casing seems to get shaved off a bit with some offset on one side. When pushing the casing into the die, often it wouldn't seat right, had to give it a gentle guiding push from the front towards the back of the press.

The set up is new to me:
  • Hornady Single Stage Iron.
  • #8 shell holder. I've checked the oring around the silver color shellholder plate is intact and there's a slight pressure when pushing in around the shellholder.
  • Hornady decaping die.
How would adjust or fix this?

IMG_1656.jpg IMG_1657.jpg IMG_1659.jpg IMG_1660.jpg IMG_1661.jpg IMG_1662.jpg IMG_1663.jpg

Kinda hard to diagnose over the Internet, but it sure seems like that die should be sitting lower in that press. Maybe just a different design for the Hornady, but all of my dies protrude through the bottom of the section where the die threads into.

It seems like the shell is being slid into place, under pressure, as it enters the sizing die, thus shaving a bit of brass. 1) Does this happen with all cases, or only once fired? Since this appears to be a concentricity problem, 2) You can leave the die lock ring slightly loose when you run the case into it, so that there is some centering possible. Same with the decapper. Snug it up and snug the die lock ring while the case is in the die. 3) Once you do this, note any unusual friction, vibration or sound as you lower the ram. 4) Make a dry run with some brass and/or try different brands, as this is an odd problem, but clearly not impossible. It seems like the shellholder and die cavity are not concentric. Could be an out of spec shellholder. 5) Send these pics to Hornady customer service. They have handled virtually everyloading anomaly that exists.

Last Edited:
I have both a 1970s Rock Chucker as well as a Lee Classic Cast. No problem with either. Prefer the Lee, as its handle length and angle adjustment feature is nice.

Try another shell holder, then call Hornady. I've had a Hornady's LNL for 8 years, with A LOT of rounds made with it. I've broken a handful of parts and they've never NOT squared me away.

Sometimes......
A little bit of moving (wiggling) the shell casing is needed in order to get it to enter the die correctly.
The die might have been made with an inadequate amount of "funnel" at the mouth*.

Hummmm (speaking of single stage/simple presses).....
Why doesn't your die stick down more.....design flaw?
Why the "need" for an extra shell holder plate or LNL quick-change system or "O ring" locking ring?

Sorry, I'm old school and sometimes........well, old school is better. IMHO.

*IIRC....Dillion used to say that their dies were 'specially constructed" with the progressive press in mind (shells would enter the die "better/easier" vs the competition's dies).

Aloha, Mark

PS.....YES.....even LEE dies come with the "O ring" locking rings. I don't like them. But, they still can be useful.

Last Edited:
I have the same press, if I had a complaint it would probably be the floating shell holder too. They market it as easier to remove your case, somehow :) I found that if I turn the shell holder to the side at an angle, it stays centered much better. As a bonus it's easier for me to insert or take out the shell. I also found that even though you can use them, Lee shell holders don't seem to sit as well as Hornady.

Good luck!

ETA: photo

I think when it leans forward (floats), the shell has a tendency to become uncentered. If it's offset and it goes forward the shell doesn't move.

20200923_104348.jpg

I have the same press, if I had a complaint it would probably be the floating shell holder too. They market it as easier to remove your case, somehow :) I found that if I turn the shell holder to the side at an angle, it stays centered much better. As a bonus it's easier for me to insert or take out the shell. I also found that even though you can use them, Lee shell holders don't seem to sit as well as Hornady.

Good luck!

ETA: photo

I think when it leans forward (floats), the shell has a tendency to become uncentered. If it's offset and it goes forward the shell doesn't move.

View attachment 753433
Good call. I was experimenting with this...even stuck a piece of paper under the area surrounding the holder to give a tilt to offset.

Another question on resizing. Do you think the below is normal/acceptable? I'm comparing the result from the resizing die with new brass from Starline. First group of photos are from my range brass. Second group are from the new brass.

Range Brass After Resize Die.jpg

New Brass Diameter.jpg

Another question on resizing. Do you think the below is normal/acceptable? I'm comparing the result from the resizing die with new brass from Starline. First group of photos are from my range brass. Second group are from the new brass.

View attachment 753472

View attachment 753471

9x19 is actually a slightly tapered case, though to the eye it wouldn't appear so. I wouldn't really worry about splitting tenths here. Get a 9x19 chamber checker or do a plunk test with your pistol barrel to see if it'll chamber.

FWIW any time I use new unfired brass it gets resized the same as fired brass. So... to me the comparison of new unesized brass to fired / sized brass is meaningless.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews