JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have recently been working on loads for one of my .223 "Rat" guns. Since I am shooting three different bullets with different seating depths I thought I would try one of those fancy jangled micro adjust seating dies to speed up the process of readjusting seating depth. I am not interested in making goochy zero run out fodder, just a way take some time out of adjusting the die.

Is anyone using these sort of seating dies and can you note a setting and go back to it next time and have it be "on"?

I use Hornady dies modified with their micrometer seater. Works good. I have several different settings for different bullets and it makes adjusting to a certain depth faster when using a new bullet.

I remove the die from the press and can reinstall it and still get repeatable settings.

Is anyone using these sort of seating dies and can you note a setting and go back to it next time and have it be "on"?
short answer: yes

I have one and its way easier to dial in and its repeatable only if I leave it in the press. Unfortunately I only have a single stage press and load for other calibers, so what I do is back it off about .020" when I remove it then next time Im pretty close (note: I dont crimp with my seating dies....). If I measure my OAL and it needs .008" I dial the seating die .008" and the next one is exact. Mine is a Redding die.

Hornady makes their Lock-N-Load system Ive been tempted to buy, just not certain how well (repeatable) it works but I think its probably a good solution for my seating and sizing dies set to shoulder bump. Interestingly enough, if the Horandy kit works I might not need to invest in micrometer seating dies for the other calibers saving money.

Sweet, thanks. I have the Redding on a wish list somewhere. Thought about the RCBS, but I have no need for the window to drop the bullet in.

When I ended up with the dilemma with other calibers in the past I just bought another seating die. In this instance, I have three 223 rifles I run the Vmax in and I'll be able to use this one seating die. Heck I might even give it a shot with my 222, I have 4 loads for that I take to the "rat" fields.

Last Edited:
I use the Forster ultra micrometer seater dies for several rifle calibers I load for. Think I may have a Redding micrometer seater for one caliber also.

I do find it easier when switching between projectiles, or fine tuning seating depth, when using these type dies. Also like the floating chamber in the Forster and Redding seater dies.

I have gone to Redding ones on my Dillon. I like that if I'm using two different bullets I don't have to reset my seating die other then adjust the depth.

I use the Forster ultra micrometer seater dies for several rifle calibers I load for. Think I may have a Redding micrometer seater for one caliber also.

I do find it easier when switching between projectiles, or fine tuning seating depth, when using these type dies. Also like the floating chamber in the Forster and Redding seater dies.
Same here.

And it's cautioned to NOT USE A COMPRESSED LOAD with the Forster micrometer bullet seating die.

I have micrometer seaters in Redding, Hornady, RCBS and the Franklin Universal.
All are repeatable.

I recently noticed that neck tension variation made for seating depth variability by as much as 8 thousandths.
And this was plinking ammo, not Gucci.

Would this be effecting how the bullet is interacting with the stem?
Yes, you will see stem contact markings on the bullet from the force required to seat.
What other effects, I'm not sure. When I encountered it, I pulled the bullet and reused the powder + primer on another case.
The problematic cases had neck web thickness of >13 thousandths.

So yes, the dies are repeatable. record the die setting accurately and I can dial right back to that setting. if the die has been out of the press I also have to measure off the top of the press to the top of the die body, and record that.
I can also measure from the top of the die body to the seating stem on any die. I do this even with Lee dies.
The real difference between Lee and the more expensive dies is the finer threads on the adjustments makes adjusting them so much easier and the better sets have replaceable seating plug to match the bullets profile.

Any die set is repeatable, the more expensive dies are made to be easily adjustable. If I were testing a lot of different bullets and loads, that ease of adjustment is worth paying extra for. But for loads where I use the same bullet for years and years without making any changes why pay for functions I won't use? DR

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top