JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I realize that there are no provisions in M114's wording that exempts CHL holders from the requirements set forth to acquire a Firearm Purchase Permit. However, I'm under the presumption that the legislature will need to enact some sort of structural rules & regulations (through legislation?) to fine-tune the implementation of this ambiguous and poorly written measure.

As most are figuring, it's likely that the rollout of this unfunded mandate is not going to be the smoothest transition from how things were done before its passing to now having to establish an entirely new system from scratch. The amount of new applicants chomping at the bits to receive permits will likely overload the program -- Much like the botched 'Obamacare'/OHP system was, when it was first rolled out in Oregon.

It's my thinking that to thin the numbers of people itching to get permits, Sheriffs may apply pressure to the State to establish the allowances for CHL holders to be exempted -- Taking into consideration that they've already fulfilled the requirements in the process to acquire their CHLs, to have them repeat it again would be redundant, and a waste of law enforcement time & resources.

So, in that scenario, if a CHL = GTG for a FPP, wouldn't many first-time permit seekers opt to go ahead and get a CHL instead? -- To 'kill two birds with one stone'.

As I understand it, there is nothing in M114 that will affect the CHL process, as they are two separate programs.
And, as I read it, CHLs are "Shall Issue", whereas FPPs are going to be "May Issue" - Can someone correct me on this, if my thinking is off?

Even if what I'm suggesting doesn't come to fruition, and CHL holders remain unexempted.. If a person is willing to go through the process once, why not double up and get the CHL at the same time too? -- As the process for getting the FPP ought to satisfy the requirement for a CHL. I mean, if one is already @ the Sheriff's office at their FPP appointment getting prints and all.. might as well drop down the other fee, and fill out the Appy for the CHL as well.

The result of either outcome, is the potential for a monumental increase in the amount of CHL holders in Oregon. AND THAT'S A GOOD THING!!!

I can only think that the law of unintended consequences would then be smacking the backers of M118 right square in the jaw, as there would then be multitudes more firearms on our streets/out in public - I'm sure that's not what they had in mind when they came up with this garbage.

Last Edited:
Measure 114 allows for CCW training to substitute as training requirement provided it meets all of the requirements in Measure 114. The missing part in many CCW classes might be the part requiring that the applicant demonstrate the ability to load, unload, fire and store a firearm safely.

CHLs are shall-issue unless there is a criminal history reason not to allow it.

So far as I am aware, current CHL classes are not concerned with

(B) Review of federal and state safe storage laws in place at the time of the class and other safe practices related to safe storage, including reporting lost and stolen guns;

(C) Prevention of abuse or misuse of firearms, including the impact of homicide and suicide on families, communities and
the country as a whole;

OR does have some version of 'safe storage' that could be mentioned, but as of today no requirement to 'report lost and stolen guns' (that I can find). I suppose someone will have to develop a curriculum that mentions those things.

Measure 114 allows for CCW training to substitute as training requirement provided it meets all of the requirements in Measure 114. The missing part in many CCW classes might be the part requiring that the applicant demonstrate the ability to load, unload, fire and store a firearm safely.
The wife and I had to demonstrate this (load/unload) when we did the live-fire portion of our CHL class, except the storing a fiream safely part, IIRC. .

What does that even mean? Would one need to bring a lockbox with them to the class and demonstrate putting a firearm into it? A short video clip of me opening and closing a safe at home?

It's so obvious that this garbage was copy&pasted/cobbled together from some anti-gunner think-tank idiots that know diddly squat about firearms.

I read it as holstering it without sweeping the room. Good enough for me. The trigger guard is properly covered, It's properly stored.

Would 'Mexican Carry' also satisfy?
1668065229314.png

The wife and I had to demonstrate this (load/unload) when we did the live-fire portion of our CHL class, except the storing a fiream safely part, IIRC. .

What does that even mean? Would one need to bring a lockbox with them to the class and demonstrate putting a firearm into it? A short video clip of me opening and closing a safe at home?

It's so obvious that this garbage was copy&pasted/cobbled together from some anti-gunner think-tank idiots that know diddly squat about firearms.

I read it as holstering it without sweeping the room. Good enough for me. The trigger guard is properly covered, It's properly stored.

Would 'Mexican Carry' also satisfy?
View attachment 1308567
I have no idea how OSP will interpet this requirement. I would consider the writers of Measure 114 morons except for the fact that they got this thing passed. Had they left out the portion about loading, unloading, firing, storing safely it would have allowed concealed carry permit holders easy access to permit to purchase. They obviously didn't want it to be easy.

CHLs are shall-issue unless there is a criminal history reason not to allow it.

So far as I am aware, current CHL classes are not concerned with

OR does have some version of 'safe storage' that could be mentioned, but as of today no requirement to 'report lost and stolen guns' (that I can find). I suppose someone will have to develop a curriculum that mentions those things.
I suppose perhaps there might be an online watch-a-vid course/supplemental quiz that CHL holders can complete online, and then print out a certificate and mail(or eSubmit) it to the Sheriff's office to satisfy any additional requirements.

An example of a question on the quiz...
Label the parts on a "weapon of war" such as:

'the barrel shroud'
'shoulder thing that goes up'
'the banana clip'
'the grenade launcher'

etc.

EDIT: I just realized that I brain-farted and had 'Shall-Issue' and 'May-Issue' reversed in my OP.

IMHO, it would only make sense to do a purchase permit and CHL app at the same time. I highly doubt they will make an allowance for any current CHL holders though. 114 requires that the course and instructors be certified by LE under the new program requirments. Since any requirements post date any previous instruction, and as yet to be establish criteria, I don't see them going back to review course material for certification purposes on a case-by-case basis. It would overwhelm the system too much since many are not exactly "standardized" and really only had to cover very basic concepts. Not to mention that course material of any given class may have changed slightly over the years since a CHL actually received their CHL's.. requiring multiple reviews and certification/denial of the same basic material from any given instructor/institution.

I really do like the idea of more CHL holders in the State, but I dunno about large numbers. 114 is going to be a massive deterrent for many would be new gun owners. It's one thing to make a decision one day, stroll to your local gun shop while it's in mind and buy a firearm. It's quite another when they find out it's going to be a very long and costly process before they are even allowed to initiate a purchase. I have the feeling many will just figure it's not worth the cost and hassle or will decide they'll get around to it later... but other things get in the way, they forget about it and they never do. A person would have to be truly committed to buying a firearm to follow through.

114 is going to be a massive deterrent for many would be new gun owners. It's one thing to make a decision one day, stroll to your local gun shop while it's in mind and buy a firearm. It's quite another when they find out it's going to be a very long and costly process before they are even allowed to initiate a purchase. I have the feeling many will just figure it's not worth the cost and hassle or will decide they'll get around to it later... but other things get in the way, they forget about it and they never do. A person would have to be truly committed to buying a firearm to follow through.
That is the part I am waiting for the screaming from. Since crime will just keep getting worse, more people will become victims who voted for this. I would LOVE to see the look on their face when they decide 911 is no longer the best option and head out to buy a gun. Then get to find out just what they voted for. Here is your sh1t sandwhich you voted for, enjoy every bite of it. When you are done we will take your money and give you the right to go buy that gun. Then you get to see the hoops you have to jump through at that point. I would love to be there to say to each one of them "be careful what you ask for, you may get it".

Indeed. Online "school" was mandatory - and a terrible failure - for over two years nationwide so a five minute online class that costed all of seven cents to produce should be sufficient.

Indeed. Online "school" was mandatory - and a terrible failure - for over two years nationwide so a five minute online class that costed all of seven cents to produce should be sufficient.
May work. Wife and I have certificates to buy and "Assault Rifle" here is WA state that we got free from Sporting Systems when the inane law went in here. Maybe someone can come up with something like this for OR? Will of course depend on how the powers that be decide to interpret this new law of course.

Yeahbutt them union teachers got to teach on camera wearing no pants and roaming hands underneath their table…. it's the Jeffery Toobin method of schoolin'.

Phapitty-phapitty!

Since the requirements to get a Firearms Purchase Permit are greater than an Oregon CHL I would say no.

However, when you are in for your FPP I can see 2A Sheriff's offices upselling you to get your CHL at the same time.

I don't need no PHUCKING permit to exercise an enumerated right (let alone pay for one) any more than I need a permit to make this post with a purposely misspelled word in it.
Agree 100% ! "The right shall not be infringed" was just affirmed by the Supreme Court in Bruen. I think our focus should be on killing this unconstitutional law in court ASAP.

I understand the burden the state has with trying to implement this POS law while it is temporarily in place, but that's their burden to deal with. We can make a difference right now by supporting those who will fight this in court to strike down the law.

Agree 100% ! "The right shall not be infringed" was just affirmed by the Supreme Court in Bruen. I think our focus should be on killing this unconstitutional law in court ASAP.

I understand the burden the state has with trying to implement this POS law while it is temporarily in place, but that's their burden to deal with. We can make a difference right now by supporting those who will fight this in court to strike down the law.

The mere fact that I'm alive and kicking and have not committed a (legitimate) crime that strips me of certain rights qualifies me to acquire and bear arms.

I don't think the ccw and permit to purchase should be combined, 114 give any agency the right to pull your permit to buy. If you tie in the ccw then you lose the right to carry.

It would be good if they considered a ccw as training.

How does this affect the Oregon CHL holders? Been following the story for some time and don't hear anything about it. All I hear is everybody has to get a Oregon Firearm Purchase Permit to purchase a gun. Since CHL holders already gone thru that process.

Its going to impact those that carry over 10 round mags.

This will have to go to court to get an exemption as the strict 10 round limit forces some users to buy/use a brand new gun as certain models, believe it or not do not offer 10 round mags UNLESS the law allows for removable/non permanent internal limiters.

My Zastava CZ999 for example. And I know, I could modify a 92fs mag.. but who would actually carry and depend on a modified magazine for CHL self defense? Id rather just use a factory mag with the proper cuts.

Just to get a laugh, 114 will cause folks to become better shots and be really quick at magazine changes. 10 rnd limit changes thinking. Heck some young folks might carry two guns to beat the 10 rnd limit. :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top