JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To be frank, for me, it changes little. Only two of my carry guns have greater than 10 round capacity, one of which is 13. That specific part of the law almost doesn't affect me. However, most, if not all, of my range guns have considerably greater than 10 round capacities and that part is a kick in the nuts

I carried a 1911 for decades ccw and never felt undergunned with just 8 rounds. My carry as an old man is a Sig 239 40 that has an 8 round magazine. If I feel like I need more rounds then I would take two guns with me but heck this old man doesn't travel to dangerous places these days.

How does this affect the Oregon CHL holders? Been following the story for some time and don't hear anything about it. All I hear is everybody has to get a Oregon Firearm Purchase Permit to purchase a gun. Since CHL holders already gone thru that process.
Exactly the same as everyone. No free passes with a CHL and will have to apply for a purchase permit every 5yrs.

To answer the original question; 114 requires a permit to purchase, and a restriction on mag capacity. For Oregon CHL holders, you will have to get 10 round mags for you carry gun. You can carry multiple mags, but none over 10 rounds. So, that means that you are restricted to 11 rounds (10 in the mag and 1 in the spout).
The CHL has no effect, good or bad, on the permit to purchase requirement. Once the process is created (18-24 months from now, at best) you CHL means nothing toward obtaining your permit to purchase.
I hope that answers your questions.

To answer the original question; 114 requires a permit to purchase, and a restriction on mag capacity. For Oregon CHL holders, you will have to get 10 round mags for you carry gun. You can carry multiple mags, but none over 10 rounds. So, that means that you are restricted to 11 rounds (10 in the mag and 1 in the spout).
The CHL has no effect, good or bad, on the permit to purchase requirement. Once the process is created (18-24 months from now, at best) you CHL means nothing toward obtaining your permit to purchase.
I hope that answers your questions.
I'm sure all of our tax paying businesses that rely on gun sales can survive that 18-24 months.
Absolutely constitutional. If you want to complain about it, it's ok, you've got the first amendment. Though we've started requiring a permit system to engage in public discourse. You'll need to apply for it to be able to express any concerns, we should have that system in place to get you squared away to ask for permission in 2 years or so. Do keep it to yourself until then, or be prosecuted.

In other words, we would need two permits, one to carry and one to purchase
This one should be the only permit you need:

1668225342510.png

The wife and I had to demonstrate this (load/unload) when we did the live-fire portion of our CHL class, except the storing a fiream safely part, IIRC.

The "live-fire portion of our CHL class"?!!! I don't know of any CHL class in Oregon that requires live fire.

The "live-fire portion of our CHL class"?!!! I don't know of any CHL class in Oregon that requires live fire.
When I took mine half the time was classroom and the other was firing to prove you knew how to handle the weapon including weak side. This was at Rickie's in Lebanon back in the 90's and was an NRA certified instructor class.

Don't believe it was required but when I first got my permit in 1991 the class the wife and I took involved some live fire at a private range. I remember it well as one of the guys in the class did the live fire with a Repop Colt 1860 Navy in .36 cap and ball.

I don't believe that it was required as a condition for receiving a certificate of completion, but our class did have a live-fire portion. We were observed on how safely we handled a pistol, and we also shot up a box of ammo to see if we could (at the least) get rounds on a paper target from 7 YDs.

Since we've never taken another CHL (required) course, I have nothing else to compare it to.

Measure 114 allows for CCW training to substitute as training requirement provided it meets all of the requirements in Measure 114. The missing part in many CCW classes might be the part requiring that the applicant demonstrate the ability to load, unload, fire and store a firearm safely.
Please cite source

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads