JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I still think that calling armed guards or teachers whatever a deterrence assumes that the shooters will not hit targets because they value their life. It's looking at the situation from the wrong frame of mind. Assume your a suicidal wreck bent on killing people as your only goal in life and you haven't really thought out the risks and consequences of the actions you are about to do. You are an idiot. Get into that mindset. Deterent isn't the right concept. Damage control is more like it.

I still think that calling armed guards or teachers whatever a deterrence assumes that the shooters will not hit targets because they value their life. It's looking at the situation from the wrong frame of mind. Assume your a suicidal wreck bent on killing people as your only goal in life and you haven't really thought out the risks and consequences of the actions you are about to do. You are an idiot. Get into that mindset. Deterent isn't the right concept. Damage control is more like it.

That's a great point, but why don't they ever try to shoot up a gun show or a police station if they are hell bent on suicide?

Because it's the kids they know they want to kill.They aren't shooting random kids.
That may be most of them, but there is still a large enough group seeking merely to mame and murder as many innocent people as possible. These individuals will plan things to the best of their abilities to maximize their body count. This is the element most threatening and can be deterred from places perceived as having a low success rate, such places as those with armed security.
I'm more worried about sadistic sociopaths than kids with poor coping mechanisms. The death toll seems to be 5 to 1 in regards to these two groups.

I know, it's a narrow scope and honestly difficult to write about.

My point is, whether armed security is a deterrent or "damage control" it has become a necessity.

Because it's the kids they know they want to kill.They aren't shooting random kids.

This isn't always true. Virginia Tech was random kids, Sandy Hook was random kids. Aurora Colorado was random people. Las Vegas was random people Those are some that come to my mind immediately.

Israelis figured this out a while ago. Calling the police to a shooting takes time, and time means lives. Having effectively armed and trained people already there significantly reduces response time = Saving lives.

Shooting back at a mass shooter changes there frame of mind from 'unnapossed Fish in a barrel' to 'worry about being shot'

This theme has been talked about many times with the same conclusions that being shot at adds another thing to consider than simply mowing down unarmed civilians. If these shooters truly had such a maniacal death wish when they engaged in these shootings they wouldn't surrender. Many of them have.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top