JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
So at my school 4th grade has an Archery segment in the PE class. .
The kids have a lot fun with it...and do well.

I get to help out in this class with safety , shooting lessons and a bit of history as well.
I bring some of my traditional archery gear and bows in to show the difference between the compound bows the school have...
And a long bow.
We even sneak some physics in with discussion of how the bow works...why the school arrows shoot differently than my arrows...etc...

A fun day for sure...
Here I am shooting....I would post others but there are students in them.....
Great to have this opportunity to showcase a shooting activity / responsibility.
Hopefully some of the kids develop a life long love of archery and shooting.
Andy

436867444_1008288767966343_6227713930153290198_n.jpg

Last Edited:
When I was in school they would take us to the range to shoot 22s.as part of phys Ed. Not happening today. Shame

When I was in school they would take us to the range to shoot 22s.as part of phys Ed. Not happening today. Shame
Yes...I was on our high school rifle team...
The bow in the picture , I made in high school during woodshop class...I even made a rifle stock back in school then.

However...
As much as I miss some things from back then...
I am grateful that I can bring bows to school and teach archery.
It is an opening at least where I can discuss other shooting activities...and I will definitely encourage developing those interests.
Andy

@Andy54Hawken , instead of some language like French or Japanese, does your school teach immersion SERE or churn out "mountain kids"? :D
A couple of the many reasons why I like my school are...
The freedom and independence given to educators there.

In addition to my archery gear...I get to bring in much of my fur trade items when discussing Tribal history and westward expansion.

It is a great school for sure.
Andy

Last Edited:
Good stuff @Andy54Hawken! Thanks for posting. Good to hear that there are SOME kids that may have interests other than an electronic device in their lives! We hope.

My first experience with firearms was summer Boy Scout Camp. .22s of course. I loved it. Kind of strange because my dad had been a pretty serious firearm person before I was born.

In high school wood shop, I elected to make a custom fiberglass laminated recurve bow.
The shop teacher was all on board and after making the clamping jig and hot box, I produced a beautiful bow that got me an A+ grade.

So at my school 4th grade has an Archery segment in the PE class. .
The kids have a lot fun with it...and do well.

I get to help out in this class with safety , shooting lessons and a bit of history as well.
I bring some of my traditional archery gear and bows in to show the difference between the compound bows the school have...
And a long bow.
We even sneak some physics in with discussion of how the bow works...why the school arrows shoot differently than my arrows...etc...

A fun day for sure...
Here I am shooting....I would post others but there are students in them.....
Great to have this opportunity to showcase a shooting activity / responsibility.
Hopefully some of the kids develop a life long love of archery and shooting.
Andy

View attachment 1860998
VERY damn cool! Great that a school still allows this so the kids can have some fun with it. Also great for them to learn how to be responsible with something like this.

VERY damn cool! Great that a school still allows this so the kids can have some fun with it. Also great for them to learn how to be responsible with something like this.
Very true. One element of many of those programs, no longer allowed in schools, was simply to teach responsibility.

If you never set expectations and entrust a child with responsibility in their formative years, it's a lesson many will never learn to live up to later in life.

Mid 1990s, my shop teacher was quite onboard with having me study gunsmithing in his Shop class, as long as I never had a complete weapon on campus (GFSZ) and any receivers came into the school shop as an 80% and once fully machined only stayed long enough to apply and cure finish and never came back afterward.

What spiked that was I couldn't get mom to order the blanks to work on...

Bravo Zulu, Andy.

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews