JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hate rebar.
Sometimes I have to tie it in the rain, in muddy footings in January.
Therefore, I shall never make a target stand out of rebar....ever.

:D

No kidding. It's a beotch to work with. And all I've done with it is cut it with a hack-saw to use in my gong stand with those green "Last Stand" things.

My son and I use the stand in the OP's link. I purchased one some years ago and added a second one this year. I quickly found that furring strips (as I know them anyway) were too fragile, as well as seldom even remotely straight, and you had to remove the top ¾ of the pile in the lumber yard to find actual full-length ones.

I use 1.5" x 5/8" dimensional lumber (I think they are 6' long). It's relatively inexpensive and lasts quite a while. We have been really pleased with their durability so far. They have some nicks and gouges from bullet strikes but are fairly robust (absent a direct strike right in the center). The chief drawback to these is the 1.5" dimension needs cut/shaved down to 1 3/8 to fit in the socket. We just cut enough on the bottom of the stick to fit in the socket.

Been very pleased with the stand itself. It's square, level, and is heavy enough to hold paper targets with no added weight. I suspect it would hold some types of steel targets but we haven't tried that yet. I don't bother with disassembling them, just hang it on the wall in the garage until next time.

Hi Mike, I'm sure you're familiar with @HatPointTarget stands. John manufactures them out of Oregon City. Yep, I got a dog-in-the-fight, but only that he gave me one to use and show off at our cleanups and he has donated several, from time to time, as giveaways at our cleanup events. I like to promote him because it helps us be more responsible when shooting on public lands (in other words, you don't need to take wood pallets out to the forest as target stands!).

I really like them because they are light weight, versatile stick positioning allows for multiple target widths and polymer built so they don't shatter if hit by a bullet. His web site is Home - hatpointtarget.com and a stand, without the furring strip uprights, is around $45.

HatPoint Target Stand 600.jpg

This may be more money than you want to spend but it's a pretty cool setup...

This base...which is VERY portable...

801-8634_N.jpg

And on that base you can mount a whole host of steel target plates, but you can also mount this...which holds 1x2's for paper targets...

801-1538_N.jpg

Really appreciate all the feed back guys. I've got enough I think. I'll probably go for the U.S. Ballistics standard. If I move to a 2" X 4" that would be for steel and I'm sure a heavier base would be appropriate. I don't see these bases supporting a gong being shot by .30-06, 6.55 Swede staying up considering how my gong swings on it's stand now.

I have no hate for or fear of rebar and I think that @powersbj has built a great target and stand.
I used to shoot in rock quarries and gravel pits with impenetrable ground and came up with a very simple solution. A board larger than the paper target with a "kickstand" made of 2x4. Screw through center bottom of board (as standing) into the end of the 2x4. Staples for paper targets, sheet rock screws partially installed for hanging clay pigeons.

I have no hate for or fear of rebar and I think that @powersbj has built a great target and stand.
I used to shoot in rock quarries and gravel pits with impenetrable ground and came up with a very simple solution. A board larger than the paper target with a "kickstand" made of 2x4. Screw through center bottom of board (as standing) into the end of the 2x4. Staples for paper targets, sheet rock screws partially installed for hanging clay pigeons.

:D Yep. Take you drill driver, screws, various sizes of scrap plywood, stapler and "kickstand" material! Build 'em when you get there. Been there done that. I guess I'm just feeling like I want to step UP some in the target stand world.

Why buy when you can fab something better ?
Here is a fantastic design, maybe the best I've seen. It has the capability of supporting a single 2x4 target post or a double 1x2 target holder.
All of the necessary elements can be seen in the pics.
P2060023.jpg

Screen-Shot-03-22-20-at-11-16-AM.png

Last Edited:
Tony617: Award for Most Inspired Cheepo Afforable Stand Design I've Ever Seen!!!

40 years ago I had a fab shop weld up some small re-bar A-frames for my 22 IHMSA targets. They've served well over the decades, until we forgot a couple stands at the range! Oddly, never turned in to lost-&-found either.:mad:

Really appreciate all the feed back guys. I've got enough I think. I'll probably go for the U.S. Ballistics standard. If I move to a 2" X 4" that would be for steel and I'm sure a heavier base would be appropriate. I don't see these bases supporting a gong being shot by .30-06, 6.55 Swede staying up considering how my gong swings on it's stand now.
I would caution on wood stands with steel, the splatter leaves alot of sharp chunks in the wood. My rebar stand holds up to 06, and even a few magnums no problem mostly because its short, the eyebolts are getting a bit distorted we'll see how long they last.

:D Yep. Take you drill driver, screws, various sizes of scrap plywood, stapler and "kickstand" material! Build 'em when you get there. Been there done that. I guess I'm just feeling like I want to step UP some in the target stand world.
Can't blame a guy for wanting to move up. I just find the one I described so simple, cheap and easy that I can't give it up! In fact, between the time I posted earlier today and now my wife and I have used one. :D

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top